New Jack Swing?

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    I hear alot of Gap Band in Teddy's Guy stuff, along with Charlie Wilson channeled by Aaron Hall.
    Yeah, for sure. I remember hearing rumors back in the nineties that the "We Can Make It Right" acapella that everybody was mixing over everything on all those mixtapes was not actually the real Charlie Wilson track, but was in fact a carbon copy re-sung by Aaron Hall.

It seems to me that the vocalists who did best with New Jack Swing were real belters. The production was so aggressive that I think a lot of the more nuanced vocalists couldn't hang.

• I thought it was a little weird when VH1 HIP HOP HONORS did a New Jack Swing tribute, and it was basically just a Teddy Riley tribute.

I mean, I don't think Blackstreet was "New Jack Swing". (?)

• I don't really hear Mary J Blige in this category, but Jodeci's debut, yes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    mary sang right over the break. it was another thang.

blackstreet wasnt njs.

CinisterCee said:
    I thought it was a little weird when VH1 HIP HOP HONORS did a New Jack Swing tribute, and it was basically just a Teddy Riley tribute. (?)

Name a 'popular' NJS Rap Song that wasnt produced by Riley?

Brand Nubian's Try And Do Me was not popular.
    Father MC???

• batmon said:
    CinisterCee said:
    I thought it was a little weird when VH1 HIP HOP HONORS did a New Jack Swing tribute, and it was basically just a Teddy Riley tribute. (?)

He is obviously the leader of NJS, but they included BlackStreet in the NJS tribute

CinisterCee said:
    batmon said:
    CinisterCee said:

He is obviously the leader of NJS, but they included BlackStreet in the NJS tribute

Lets say they(awards commitee) opened up the field to producers who contributed to the sound.
    Who else would appear on stage with another mc/mcs?

We can drop plenty of name but Riley was the only one who placed hits on both sides of the New jack Swing Menu.
    Rap Joints, R&B radio joints and Club bangers.

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis - ???
    BabyFace and LA Reid - TLC maybe?
    Full Force had a strong street presence but didnt have one specific style that encompassed Rap & R&B.
    BBD w/ the Bomb Squad might be able to take the stage. By that time the tracks were sounding more Hip Hop than what Teddy was doin'.

• minimini 879 Posts
    DJ Anonymous: New Jack Swing #1 (2007) by DJ Anonymous

N.E. Intro
    After 7: I Can't Stop
    After 7: I Can't Stop Remix
    Samuelle: So You Like What You See
    Ralph Tresvant: Sensitivity
    Jody Watley featuring Eric B & Rakim: Friends
    Christopher Williams: Every Little Thing Remix
    Intro: Love Thang
    Today: Him Or Me
    Guy: Groove Me
    Teddy Riley featuring Tammy Lucas: Is It Good To You?
    TLC: Get It Up
    Johnny Gill: Rub You The Right Way
    Bobby Brown: Humpin Around
    Mint Condition: Are You Free?
    Keisha Jackson: Hot Little Love Affair
    Al B Sure featuring Slick Rick: If I'm Not Your Lover
    Basic Black: What Ever It Takes
    Colin England: I Got What You Need
    Teddy Riley featuring Guy: My Fantasy
    Bel Biv Devoe: Poison
    4-Fun: You Can't Play Me
    Johnny Kemp: Just Got Paid
    Boyz II Men: Motownphilly
    Today: I Got The Feeling

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    batmon said:

Full Force had a strong street presence but didnt have one specific style that encompassed Rap & R&B.
    BBD w/ the Bomb Squad might be able to take the stage. By that time the tracks were sounding more Hip Hop than what Teddy was doin'.

Does Gene Griffin get to be in that list? Or do many just attach him to Teddy?

DOR said:
    batmon said:

Does Gene Griffin get to be in that list? Or do many just attach him to Teddy?

IIRC Griffin was a dirty manager that Riley left.
    Today's first album was produced by GG, but a gang of the shit says co-produced by Riley.
    What is sounds like to me was Griffen retained the tracks Riley was working on and took credit for it. Dude was like 50 years old and shit then. No fuckin way was he makin fresh NJS beats for kids in 89.
    I need to investigate dudes discography, cause i think dude fell off the map once Riley booted his ass.

But i really dig album big time. Big Bub had that Gospel kid voice that James was talmbout.
    The harmonies were cool too vs the Aaron Hall dominant solo steez that Guy had.

• batmon said:
    CinisterCee said:

Father MC???

At the time this sounded NJS, but in retrospect it's more of a forerunner to the Badboy sound imo. Anyway, without NJS, this probably wouldn't have happened:

Downstroke said:
    batmon said:
    CinisterCee said:

Father MC???

At the time this sounded NJS, but in retrospect it's more of a forerunner to the Badboy sound imo. Anyway, without NJS, this probably wouldn't have happened:

if thats Marley , he did those BBD remixes for Dope and another single.

Downstroke said:
    batmon said:
    CinisterCee said:

Father MC???

if thats Marley , he did those BBD remixes for Dope and another single.