New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Junior said:

Just out of interest, what's the pricing on that sort of 91-93 era hardcore like? I'm guessing the demand for Jungle/early DnB isn't really going crazy yet but was thinking that earlier time period might demand a bit more attention and wondering how much it would cost to fill the holes in my collection.

Some of the rarer bits go for a bob or two. I can remember when certain pressings of Mr Kirk's Nightmare would always be the subject of bidding wars on ebay (back around 2003-4).
    But I reckon Discogs would be worth joining, and you could affordably pick up a lot of this stuff from there.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    hmm not sure junior, really the valuable stuff seems to be white label early hardcore or what was called jungle techno once. dee jay recordings, stuff like that is kinda 20 quid a record from ex-raver record dealer types. if you have any special wants i may be able to help, i buy em all when I see them and just stock em up. id rather listen to tango and ratty or bizzy b than omni trio myself.

if you want to hear zomby's jungle i think theres a couple of bits on youtube (along with his unreleased takes on ukg, juke and other genres)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Sage advice, cheers Duder. I guess the most logical thing to do would be to dig out the old tapes done by friends and work backwards from the lesser known tracks towards the ones that are acclaimed as classics and therefore have extra 0s attached to their prices.

Thanks as well Nick, I'll have a dig and see what I can come up with regarding names as I think the closing down of the last local record store a few years ago pretty much killed the chance of finding any in the field (though I still live in hope of unearthing a stack in the back of a charity shop somewhere).

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    really the valuable stuff seems to be white label early hardcore or what was called jungle techno once. dee jay recordings

Lucky Spin was a big label for this era & sound.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    oh hello.. i need to check for that. also rate Labello Blanco (specially dr s gachet bits)..

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    oh hello.. i need to check for that. also rate Labello Blanco (specially dr s gachet bits)..

Labello Blanco had some great stuff, and I only really knew about their jungle back catalogue when they were repressing classics in 2003. Unfortunately, the sleeve design for the represses was something really chavvy like a Union Jack with "Spirit of Ibiza" written on it, so it took me a while to give 'em a listen... I don't think that back then I associated "Ibiza" with good music, but I guess a lot of the pioneers of the rave scene would have all been playing and or partying there when they could.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I don't think that back then I associated "Ibiza" with good music

I've been quite a bit and never for the music.

Frankly, IMHO, there's never been good music there. The island's liberal drugs stance made it a mecca for ravers in the same way a freshly-steaming turd is a beacon for bluebottles. The club scene there wouldn't/won't play anything remotely soulful because the saucer-eyed crowd want it harder.

I love the place though - keep away from San Antonio (and unfortunately Bora Bora - it was like a rougher Club 18-30 last year) and it's a very nice way to while away the day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:
    New boogie funk/new jack steez. Think Teddy Riley vs Bugz n The Attic

thnx but i dont hear new jack swing in there at all

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some new rock that doesnt suck

batmon said:
    phatmoneysack said:

I'm getting Chaka Khan vibes.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    the rest of that album has some New Jack soundin stuff

Duderonomy said:
    batmon said:
    phatmoneysack said:

I'm getting Chaka Khan vibes.

Circa I Feel For You, Modern Soul,electronica steez.

Grandfather said:
    the rest of that album has some New Jack soundin stuff

I copped and dont hear anything close to Teddy Riley rhythm patterns.

Unless you guys consider NJS consisting of Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis, Babyface, Chuckii Booker and the other R&B Producers that worked in the same era, but not to be confused with Rileys steez.

retract -
    Luxurious is doin NJS.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I just missed the night beats here in town, bummed I couldnt go.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Would sound better with an electric jug player

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    barjesus said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Would sound better with an electric jug player

I hear more Golden Dawn than Elevators....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

been loving this.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

So incredibly good.

ketan said:
    Duderonomy said:

So incredibly good.

Agreed. Been listening to this on repeat a fair bit this afternoon. Need to pick up a copy.

Junior said:
    ketan said:

So incredibly good.

Agreed. Been listening to this on repeat a fair bit this afternoon. Need to pick up a copy.

Beatnik was recommending this, and I'd initially been taken by the soundclips for the other mix on the flip which is catchier perhaps, but doesn't develope into anything. Mr Parrish's version is great though.

Beatnik (and to a lesser extent Junior - cheers both!) got me invesigating Zomby's catalogue, and I discovered this:

Apparently it's been played on Skins? Was lost for me amongst a deluge of Ninja Tune anniversary releases.

• Shabaaz Palaces

Com Truise

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    pop

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    That Theo Parrish remix is incredible, dude is so consistent!

As far as house music goes, lately I've been playing these two tracks a lot:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Duderonomy said:

Beatnik (and to a lesser extent Junior - cheers both!) got me invesigating Zomby's catalogue, and I discovered this:

Apparently it's been played on Skins? Was lost for me amongst a deluge of Ninja Tune anniversary releases.

Never heard that before. Very nice. You know, that's not the first time I've seen something decent on youtube with comments that people found it through Skins. Need to go and have a look through how diverse their tracklisting was without the slightly seedy task of watching the show.

Personally been feeling this album. I feel like every day I'm becoming more and more Pitchfork. Don't really know if there's a way back.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

Been finding this album a good antidote to the irrational rage that surfaces at random times during a fun day of commuting in London

Can't tell how much the enjoyment is steeped in its slightly nostalgic late nineties Ninja Tune/Warp (think Plaid, Animals On Wheels, etc) but still enjoyable none the less.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The Murk vibe is strong with this one. Proper house music.