"Spaceship Earth" (Edan LP)

SteepSteep 31 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
New Edan vocals turned in for Spaceship Earth. Hope to see a 2011-2012 release.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Just googled it and "Spaceship Earth" appears to be a song that Edan worked on from DJ Format's upcoming album, not an Edan album. Am I wrong?

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    Beauty and the beat was such a great album. Very unique. I listened to it few days ago
    and it aged well.
    I also saw him live and it was a great show, which is rare when it comes to hip hop.
    Am i the only one to think that Edan is way underrated? I mean, there are all those kids after madlib, doom..
    but Edan is clearly as talented as thoses guys.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He better hurry up with that album--people are going to forget who he is pretty soon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vinegar said:
    Beauty and the beat was such a great album. Very unique. I listened to it few days ago
    and it aged well.
    I also saw him live and it was a great show, which is rare when it comes to hip hop.
    Am i the only one to think that Edan is way underrated? I mean, there are all those kids after madlib, doom..

how old are u?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    /lurkmode

Beauty and The Beat is a really great album and I agree that it still sounds fresh now.

I am pissed I didn't catch him in Toronto the last time he was here. I heard it was awesome. I grabbed his Echo Party mix the first time I saw it, and while it's entertaining in spots, overall I had trouble enjoying it. It's grown on me over some more listens, but I am happy to hear we're getting some raps on this next project.

lurkmode

• E C H O P A R T Y ??

• batmon said:
    vinegar said:
    and it aged well.

how old are u?

Who cares?
    Edan IS underrated.

StoneHands said:
    batmon said:
    vinegar said:
    and it aged well.

how old are u?

Who cares?
    Edan IS underrated.

where should he be rated? no that it matters to a small catalog like that.
    i question the whole "very unique" statement. for an artist that is so referencial i question that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Actually, I think Edan is highly regarded for his few releases among those who are interested in his style of hip hop. He's not on the popular radar, but I don't think that makes him under-rated. It's not really possible to transfer the idea of being under- or over-rated from one group to another, when each group is rating the artist/art/material/product at hand on very different criteria. He's highly rated by a subsection of the hip hop audience. He's N/A to the pop majority.

no doubt

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    "Beauty and the beat" sounds unique to me as there is
    this "psych" vibe i never heard in any other hip hop record.

By the way i'm 32.

vinegar said:

By the way i'm 32.

i have

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think Edan's rated about right in the broader scheme of things. Back when there was all that controversy surrounding Jay headlining Glastonbury, and all those Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll types were getting in a froth about it, I remember someone on the Guardian's website suggesting (with, one presumes, a straight face) that Edan would be a more appropriate headliner. Disregarding the manifold levels of disconnectedness in such a declaration, and without making any sort of value judgement about dude's music (Salma-r), it's clear that, for the folks who like that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they like. But there's nothing about what he does that makes me ask the question; why isn't this guy really big? He strikes me as a talented enough cat to reach past his current audience if he really wanted to, but equally he seems happy and fulfilled enough in his chosen lane, making music for an audience that has a real enthusiasm for it, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. But saying he's underrated by kids who'd rather listen to, say, Wiz Khalifa or Joell Ortiz (which is often what's being implied in discussions like this, I find) is kind of like saying Alice Clark is underrated by kids who listen to Lady Gaga.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:
    vinegar said:

By the way i'm 32.

i have

Where?

At the shop I bought this LP from, the guy behind the counter said that he felt Edan tried to sound like Kool G Rap. He was a big Rap & Polo fan.
    Are the beats trying hard to sound like somebodyelse too?

Duderonomy said:
    batmon said:
    vinegar said:

By the way i'm 32.

i have

Where?

At the shop I bought this LP from, the guy behind the counter said that he felt Edan tried to sound like Kool G Rap. He was a big Rap & Polo fan.
    Are the beats trying hard to sound like somebodyelse too?

I wouldnt say his beats sound like somebody elses but i dont think he should get that many points for the "psych" vibe.

Cypress Hill, Yomo And Maulkie, A Tribe Called Quest and Divine Styler had these elements a minute ago.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Well, there's been plenty of acts sampling psyche sounds, but few that have flipped samples so successfully to sound like psyche imo*. But I guess some people might just say that all he's doing is going gaga with the echo/flanger FX.
    Anyway, over-rated or not, I'd gladly cough up for another LP of similar calibre. Not sure how well the Echo Party thing worked.

* Rehash guys did some nice psychedelic beat bits I like

• New EDAN! Madlib!

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Steep said:

New EDAN! Madlib!

suprisingly good beat from turdlib!