Stone Coal White

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
This shit is sick.

That is all.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    agreed

• that cover looks like shit. for all the ragging on the ROB reissue cover art I haven't heard a peep regarding this dull-as-concrete cover yet. I was thinking a group shot of the band looking like Funkadelic's ugly step brothers or something would have been ten times more effective.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    blakatom said:
    that cover looks like shit. for all the ragging on the ROB reissue cover art I haven't heard a peep regarding this dull-as-concrete cover yet. I was thinking a group shot of the band looking like Funkadelic's ugly step brothers or something would have been ten times more effective.

You're kidding, right? :walk_away_son:

• FortyFivan said:
    blakatom said:
    that cover looks like shit. for all the ragging on the ROB reissue cover art I haven't heard a peep regarding this dull-as-concrete cover yet. I was thinking a group shot of the band looking like Funkadelic's ugly step brothers or something would have been ten times more effective.

About the group shot yes. But if I came across that in a bin somewhere, I wouldn't bat an eye.

I wasn't holding ROB up as something ideal. I prefer the OG cover. I just heard an overwhelming amount of negative criticism of it but haven't heard much about Stone Coal. Obviously you are enamored of it.

• It looks like an 80's era prop seconds before detonation on a WWF commercial.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    As someone who's designed 40+ LP covers I can say that in every case there were people who said they liked it and people who thought they could have done better.

In this case the music speaks for itself.

• Rockadelic said:
    As someone who's designed 40+ LP covers I can say that in every case there were people who said they liked it and people who thought they could have done better.

In this case the music speaks for itself.
    Agreed. The music is.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like the cover.

• holmes said:
    I like the cover.

Me too. It's an album from a dead band!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    blakatom said:
    FortyFivan said:
    blakatom said:

About the group shot yes. But if I came across that in a bin somewhere, I wouldn't bat an eye.

I wasn't holding ROB up as something ideal. I prefer the OG cover. I just heard an overwhelming amount of negative criticism of it but haven't heard much about Stone Coal. Obviously you are enamored of it.

The big difference is that the Stone Coal White cover wasn't used in place of an awesome OG design.

I wrote on Waxidermy that this is "first Funkadelic good", which is a slight bit of hyperbole, but not much. This a major find for those of us who treasure wasted soul, which there is not enough of, imo.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I wouldn't say I'm enamored with it or anything, but I can hear granite slowly sliding against granite when I look at that cover. If a purely 2-dimensional, visual image can conjure up other sensory expressions within you than I would say its at least effective in one way or another.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    button said:
    I wouldn't say I'm enamored with it or anything, but I can hear granite slowly sliding against granite when I look at that cover. If a purely 2-dimensional, visual image can conjure up other sensory expressions within you than I would say its at least effective in one way or another.

Plus, at least they went through the trouble and had a real tombstone made.

I might have gone for a creepy cemetery shot, though.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    button said:

And the music is harder than the Wisconsin State Fair!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    We actually had a SCW-style band from here called the Electric War Babies, a bunch of 40/50 something black dudes playing downer pyschedelic funk/rock. I only saw them once a few years back opening for Kings Go Forth. They were pretty baddd to the bone. The kind of group that only plays once a year and takes the stage 45 minutes late because they can't find the bass player, then proceeds to effortlessly melt everyones' faces off. Not sure if they're still active or not; wish their shit was more together.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    anyone know where i can get this in the UK?

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    oooft, meant the cd, but cheers all the same... feck it, it's worth paying for the extra shipping, i'll just get it from dustygroove when it's back in stock.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rishan said:
    cd

BAN

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    blakatom said:
    Obviously you are enamored of it.

Yes, enamored... obviously. Actually I'm pretty content with the cover art on mine...

http://fortyfivan.tumblr.com/post/8263411601/stone-coal-white-peoples-free

• FortyFivan said:
    blakatom said:
    Obviously you are enamored of it.

Yes, enamored... obviously. Actually I'm pretty content with the cover art on mine...

http://fortyfivan.tumblr.com/post/8263411601/stone-coal-white-peoples-free

I'm enamored of that as well. Touche'.