what's a great sample needle to get?

hoitelhoitel 2 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i was wondering what's the best needle type to get to help get the best quality for sampling. scratch needles aren't that great for sampling obviously, but i've heard that one of the Ortofon Concordes is good for sampling with (i'm not exactly sure which one though). any insight would be definitely appreciated.

Comments

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    A Shure M97xE has been good to me.

• A Shure M97xE has been good to me.

those and the Shure White Labels are also good

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    A Shure M97xE has been good to me.

those and the Shure White Labels are also good

co-whatever

prof -- where's my killer tape at?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    i was wondering what's the best needle type to get to help get the best quality for sampling.

If you consider that most of the sample-based music is made using a "standard" dj set-up, I think using the best needle would make your samples sound out of place next to the majority of sample-based records you enjoy.

There was a recent post about needles, check here. But I doubt there is any one needle that is best. If you're concerned, it might be a good idea to get one audiophile needle to use only when sampling. Then again, the Technics (and other class B turntables) aren't known for their fidelity, so it'd be like putting a diamond-encrusted saddle on a jackass. You also have to consider the tonearm, the pre-amp, and the mixer, because the needle is just the first link in the chain.

If you want the best sound (and have the cheddar), I'd spring for a audiophile turntable/tonearm/stylus/pre-amp set up that you could use to listen/sample, and another basic set up for scratching, etc. The best place to start is with a VPI.

http://www.vpiindustries.com/index.htm

A class A set up would run you thousands of dollars though, so beware, searching for the highest fidelity gets costly.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.

~Bam

p.s. Welcome to the board. Tell us a little about yourself...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i was wondering what's the best needle type to get to help get the best quality for sampling.

If you consider that most of the sample-based music is made using a "standard" dj set-up, I think using the best needle would make your samples sound out of place next to the majority of sample-based records you enjoy.

No doubt

No offense man, but that's way too anal for me.

Just use what you have! What ever happened to just working with what you've got?

I understand wanting to have the best sound you can but that's kind of out there.

A standard needle should be sufficient as long as it's in good shape.

I think worrying about things like that only impede your creativity. Kind of like buying all kinds of equiptment for music and spending more time doing that than making it.

Anyway, that's just my .02

• Oh, hah -- i definitely believe in what you guys say:

No doubt

Just use what you have! What ever happened to just working with what you've got?
    I understand wanting to have the best sound you can but that's kind of out there.

I think worrying about things like that only impede your creativity. Kind of like buying all kinds of equiptment for music and spending more time doing that than making it.

Anyway, that's just my .02

I'm asking this question for research purposes and b/c i'm looking into maybe getting another needle for sampling certain things that i would like with a bit more quality (like bass for example).

And you're right Bambouche, it gets pretty crazy chasing the holy grail of ultimate fidelity.

btw, thanks a lot for welcoming me to the site. some other music kids i know recommended me to this site b/c i dig a lot (like them) and the fact that a lot of you guys help people out with good advice/opinions. i work on downtempo production, more on the lines of "trip-hop" type --- so i understand the importance of creativity and how it relates to sound quality in relation to other works that i like (like you said before Bambouche).

peace.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

Yeah, I used to look at it that way. I used to have a standard dj needle for a long while. But then I figured that since I don't scratch and it was time for a needle upgrade anyway, why not go for the aforementioned Shure (which is in the price range of better quality dj needles). And listening to some of my favorite records, I honestly heard a difference. Furthermore, less needle weight is better for my records. If you've got a crappy mixer and some .1$ rca cables, I agree-- use your $40 Stanton needle to sample. But what's the point of investing in a high-end mixer, quality cables and all that if the sound your needle outputs is shitty to begin with?

Not saying you should go all out and cop the best Grado needle, but thinking of buying a quality needle is not being anal about it.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I'm asking this question for research purposes and b/c i'm looking into maybe getting another needle for sampling certain things that i would like with a bit more quality (like bass for example).

In that case, assuming you don't have $5,000+ for this research, I'd suggest an above average DJ stylus, and pay attention to the entire signal chain. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to bet the farm on the needle, and lose all the fidelity later in the process.

Consider everything: needle, mixer, cables, A/D convertor, mixing, mastering, etc.

~bam

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I think this is a pretty interesting topic.

I did a needle comparision test with Ako, using breaks we both had. This is the only file I could find now:

Needle Battle McDoom vs. Ako

This break has humming noise from the actual recording and phasing problems in the stereo picture. One channel sounds busted as hell.

Tracklist: McDoom first stereo channel, Ako first stereo channel, McDoom second stereo channel, Ako second stereo channel.

Ako is using a Shure M44-7 and Im using the noname stuff that came with my Numark here. Notice how the busted channel sounds even more busted with my needle. Hopefully he has the other break comparing file - My needle actually sounded better on there. But we had different pressings of the LP so we cant be 100% sure its just the needles. I actually ended up buying the M44-7 after this.

I know Ako has a before and after M44-7 clip that will blow your minds, the Shure has like 45% less crackles when comparing 45s. The difference on LPs aint that big tho.

That said..

Breakbeatraer

You can make dope shit out of almost anything if ya know what youre doing! I'm sure some of you wouldnt even think of sampling that break. Just check that clip... The record is probably G- or so. I fixed each pop and click manually and made this beat:

Freedumb