edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Just watched it.

Thought it was great.

Comments

• It was. Saw it in the theatre.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "Rubber" looks badass too....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my girl did not want to watch either of these with me so i still have yet to see them. i heard rubber was interesting but it sounds kinda wild

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yet to catch up on this though have had it recommended to me. I did finally get round to seeing Drive Angry at the weekend though and have marked it down as a pivotal step in the third, and greatest, stage of Nicholas Cage's career. Doubt I'll see a better film all year.

• Junior said:
    Yet to catch up on this though have had it recommended to me. I did finally get round to seeing Drive Angry at the weekend though and have marked it down as a pivotal step in the third, and greatest, stage of Nicholas Cage's career. Doubt I'll see a better film all year.

the 'nouveau shamanic' period.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not just an exercise in 70s grindhouse film, to my surprise it successfully mixes in a lot of elements of early 80s psychotronic, punk-exploitation, and cult cinema.

Rubber was alright by me, too.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    onetet said:
    I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It's not just an exercise in 70s grindhouse film, to my surprise it successfully mixes in a lot of elements of early 80s psychotronic, punk-exploitation, and cult cinema.

I think it fails on all those fronts, it came across to me like an attempt at a Troma style picture but all the jokes fell flat.
    Also the action wasn't memorable at all,Rutger's acting couldn't save this one.

What i thought was a much better recent exploitation style film was Super starring Rainn Wilson & Ellen Page.
    directed by James Gunn a former Troma alumni.I'd describe it as a more twisted version of Kick Ass.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    magnetic said:
    onetet said:

I think it fails on all those fronts, it came across to me like an attempt at a Troma style picture but all the jokes fell flat.
    Also the action wasn't memorable at all,Rutger's acting couldn't save this one.

What i thought was a much better recent exploitation style film was Super starring Rainn Wilson & Ellen Page.
    directed by James Gunn a former Troma alumni.I'd describe it as a more twisted version of Kick Ass.

That's exactly how I felt about Hobo and I really wanted to like the it. I've always loved Rutger Hauer and to me the movie was a big disappointment. I enjoyed Kick Ass and will netflix Super with the quickness.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Junior said:

the 'nouveau shamanic' period.

I would purchase this book day 1 though, unlike Mr Cage's own reference point, I would say that it was the remake of The Wicker Man where his ability to transcend the film via various gurning methods really took hold.

• SteepSteep 31 Posts
    Exploito-reflective glory, triumph. Enjoying the wave that stemmed from the grindhouse root.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Steep said:
    Exploito-reflective glory, triumph. Enjoying the wave that stemmed from the grindhouse root.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Why do people wear a shirt over a T, when actually they really want you to see what's on the T, so they just unbutton it to the navel? Just wear the T.

Also...

I don't know if there is ever going to be an appropriate place to poast this, but that Norway dude, he's rocking Lacoste in a lot of photos, including the one in the police car. I choose not to include those images here as I've seen enough of him, but seriously, if I was Monsieur Lacoste, I'd be putting up photoshops of Mother Theresa in a polo shirt with the quickness.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Steep said:

Look, if I suck really hard, I can suck the sound back OUT OF THE MIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i liked Hobo. thought the cast was perfect, nice pacing, cool lighting, exploitive as hell, i'd be interested to see what else this director has in the works...