Fela Kuti "Expensive Shit" editions makossa pressing question

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
For the US editions makossa pressing, how many variations are there? What's the chronological order? Are there any pricing differences?

I have the last one, but always wondered what the deal was.

Comments

• The last one is a late 70s/early 80s press

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    The last one is a late 70s/early 80s press

This is pressing I have also, and the label says 1979.

My completely uneducated guess would be the red-label one. Most of the of-era releases came out on it.

• Anyone know how the sound quality varies between the different pressings?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    Anyone know how the sound quality varies between the different pressings?

Not as good as Orig Afro pressings.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    If anyone has a spare sleeve for this please get in touch. I've got the vinyl in some generic 12" sleeve.

• Spacecho said:
    If anyone has a spare sleeve for this please get in touch. I've got the vinyl in some generic 12" sleeve.

Same here!
    Makossa company 12" sleeve.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Sorry to bump this old-ass thread, but am curious about makossa pressings in general. I have a bunch of Fela pressings on the UK label Creole, one US one on Celluloid and a couple of OG Nigerian ones, they all sound great

I bought 'Kalakuta Show' on a Makossa pressing and it sounds TERRIBLE. Definitely like it was cut from a vinyl/cassette, and not from the original tapes. I don't want to be 'that audiophile guy', but it got me wondering (A lot of other Fela records I'm looking for only have an affordable 2nd press etc on Makossa).

However if they all sound like crap then I'll stop checking for them 

Anyone care to chime in on their Fela experiences? 

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I haven't had issues with Makossa pressings in general

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The only Fela I have on vinyl is Mr Follow Follow on Celluloid and it is one of the crappiest sounding records I own. Harsh treble with loads of sibilance, like Fela as produced by a black metal fan. Unlistenable.