Anyone else hopelessly behind the times???

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Granted, I don't get out much - and I have not turned on a television in about 3-4 years - but seriously, I find I cannot have a normal convo with people my own age or slightly older about current happenings. When I think of "new music" two things come to mind - shoegaze indie pop from the early 90's, and those "new music" electronic records from the 60's that I have a ton of. This is not normal. Even I know that.What the hell is a "summer jam"? I honestly have no idea.It's getting very hard to pass myself of as a normal person anymore. This could be bad. People might start to suspect me of being an android made by some twisted freak who has not left their basement since Dick Van Dyke was a top rated show...............Oh yeah, if this post gets deleted, I have a car & I'm only 10 hours away from San Diego.

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    and I have not turned on a television in about 3-4 years -

Hey, it's me again...So the OC fanatacism was all a lie?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    then you should fit in fine with the "out of the past" community up there in healdsburg... then again maybe new age-y is closer to the truth... shit theres mad farmers and mexicans up there who dont speak english... youre going to look weird to them anyway!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So the OC fanatacism was all a lie?

no, that's right. I guess it's not been too long. But still, it in no way helped my social skillz.

• People might start to suspect me of being an android made by some twisted freak who has not left their basement since Dick Van Dyke was a top rated show.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    It's getting very hard to pass myself of as a normal person anymore.

As soon as I opened this thread your "blooze" song (from the "post some songs you wrote" thread) came on my shuffle. Uncanny.

You are a bonafide weirdo. Embrace that, and things will fall into place.

then you should fit in fine with the "out of the past" community up there in healdsburg... then again maybe new age-y is closer to the truth... shit theres mad farmers and mexicans up there who dont speak english... youre going to look weird to them anyway!

yeah, I need to learn spainish. I always have, even in OC. but my girlfriend says I can't buy Mexican horror movies untill I learn Spanish. She thinks I won't do it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I have not turned on a television in about 3-4 years

stop lyin'[/b]

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts

What the hell is a "summer jam"? I honestly have no idea.

Morton Subotnick

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    whoops... got beat to it.

It's getting very hard to pass myself of as a normal person anymore.

As soon as I opened this thread your "blooze" song (from the "post some songs you wrote" thread) came on my shuffle. Uncanny.

You are a bonafide weirdo. Embrace that, and things will fall into place.

haha!!! Good lord! You still have that?

Don't get me wrong, I have weirdo pride. But, I see a day coming in which I can no longer function in society to the point where it will be difficult to buy groceries.

What the hell is a "summer jam"? I honestly have no idea.

Morton Subotnick

you are no help, my friend!

People might start to suspect me of being an android made by some twisted freak who has not left their basement since Dick Van Dyke was a top rated show.

uncanny. almost to the point of scaring me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    no computer at home - check
    no CD player - check
    no cellphone - check
    has no idea how to burn a CD - check
    made first mixed CD (at someone else's house) less than two months ago - check
    does not own a dig camera - check
    does not know how to download pics form a dig camera - check
    only understood how a fax machine works in the past year - check
    owned a rotary phone up to three years ago - check
    says Thank You when leaving a store even if nothing bought - check
    smiles at people when eye contact is made - check
    says hello to older folks - check
    uses stairs instead of escalators - check
    other than rap and the odd rock record, hasn't bought anything past 1983...well...since 1990 - check
    thinks kids older than three should walk and not be pushed around in strollers/wagons/carts from the future (please see example below) - check

yes, I am hopelessly behind the times and I am OK with it.

• I see a day coming in which I can no longer function in society to the point where it will be difficult to buy groceries.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    But seriously, I find I cannot have a normal convo with people my own age or slightly older about current happenings.

What is "normal" convo about television these days, anyway? I haven't had a television for the last four years and the whole reality television phenomenon has completely escaped me.

I've never seen an episode of American Idol, either (and I think I'm a better person for it!).

The point here is that you should take a certain amount of pride in not succumbing to some of the more banal interests of the average American...

• Near your house there is a place called Mount Tam. What you need to do is climb to the top of it, take your clothing off and howl at the moon. This is best if done on the vernal equinox. Also before doing it try rubbing tribal war paint all over your body and sticking a feather up your ass. You will then realize that there is no time, no reality. That it is all a lie. That everything you have ever been taught is a lie. That the only truth is the cosmic truth. Good luck young man. It is going to be quite a venture.

no CD player - check
    no cellphone - check
    owned a rotary phone up to three years ago - check
    other than rap and the odd rock record, hasn't bought anything past 1983...well...since 1990 - check
    thinks kids older than three should walk and not be pushed around in strollers/wagons/carts from the future (please see example below) - check

yes, I am hopelessly behind the times and I am OK with it.

radd!

I'm with you on an awful lot of this list.

Near your house there is a place called Mount Tam. What you need to do is climb to the top of it, take your clothing off and howl at the moon. This is best if done on the vernal equinox. Also before doing it try rubbing tribal war paint all over your body and sticking a feather up your ass. You will then realize that there is no time, no reality. That it is all a lie. That everything you have ever been taught is a lie. That the only truth is the cosmic truth. Good luck young man. It is going to be quite a venture.

but what about poison oak?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Near your house there is a place called Mount Tam.

hes about an hour or more north of mt tam...

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=434

real pretty there jeff... ive been up there

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    no CD player - check
    no cellphone - check

Why resist this stuff? It makes your life easier.

I was anti-cell for the longest time but now I don't know how I'd live with out it. It's also nice that I don't have to pay my cellphone bill. Long Live Expense Reports!

The Digi cam & CD thing are no-brainers to me.

The lack of social skills thing I'm not really following.

no CD player - check
    no cellphone - check

I was anti-cell for the longest time but now I don't know how I'd live with out it. It's also nice that I don't have to pay my cellphone bill. Long Live Expense Reports!

I'm not sure I'm actively resisting as much as not really needing any of it.
    The fact that I don't feel like I need or want any of these items is what I think makes me behind the times, not that I don't own any of it.
    I don't agree that any of these things make life easier - just different.

• Options
    only recently started using slipmats at DJ gigs - check

no CD player - check

no cellphone - check

The fact that I don't feel like I need or want any of these items is what I think makes me behind the times, not that I don't own any of it.

I don't agree that any of these things make life easier - just different.[/b]

yeah, I agree. I only just got a CD player a couple years ago. and only so I could copy raers that I sell. I'm happy about that, and that I can make CDR's for my friends now. but, I usually forget I have it. I've only purchased like 20-30 cds.

most of the other stuff, like you said, I just can't see myself wanting much less needing.

only recently started using slipmats at DJ gigs - check

LOL! against my will! Simon Says!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    no CD player - check
    no cellphone - check

I don't agree that any of these things make life easier - just different.

co-sign. Sure, I could have a cell phone or a computer at home. But my lifestyle has no need for it. I dont have a cell phone because "I'm not sellin' out man", its because I dont want to be that accessable to people. It just sucks these days becayse EVERYONE else has a cell phone and they automatically assume that you do too. Getting directions sucks these days, people have gotten lazier because of cell phones. Rather than draw a map or think about where you are going its just: "oh uh, I'll just give you a call when I get close" and vice-versa.

Whatever happened to making plans in advance people?

• says Thank You when leaving a store even if nothing bought - check

there is nothing wrong with these. i mean there is nothing wrong with all those on your list. i own a cell phone but i practically never use it.
    most people i see using one are just socializing on it. not particulary important. either that or closing business deals.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Not to point fingers, but it's been my experience that many people who talk much about being "behind the times" secretly (or not so secretly) consider themselves superior to "the times," and take a fair amount of self-satisfaction in their anachronism. This mindset is frequently accompanied by lots of willful dissociation from the culture that, whether they like it or not, shapes them as indiscriminately as water shapes wood, and strikes me as pretty fuckin' ignorant.

there is nothing wrong with these. i mean there is nothing wrong with all those on your list. i own a cell phone but i practically never use it.
    most people i see using one are just socializing on it. not particulary important. either that or closing business deals.

i agree. i don't think behind the times = bad. i also don't think being with the times is bad. i think being close-minded and stuck in one's ways is a different can of worms and applies to anyone.

Not to point fingers, but it's been my experience that many people who talk much about being "behind the times" secretly (or not so secretly) consider themselves superior to "the times," and take a fair amount of self-satisfaction in their anachronism. This mindset is frequently accompanied by lots of willful dissociation from the culture that, whether they like it or not, shapes them as indiscriminately as water shapes wood, and strikes me as pretty fuckin' ignorant.

i agree. i don't think behind the times = bad. i also don't think being with the times is bad. i think being close-minded and stuck in one's ways is a different can of worms and applies to anyone.