S.Mouse blackface contraversy???

LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
This has been egtting a bit of press down under.

Interesting piece in todays paper with some US rapper's feedback.

Has this aired stateside yet? whats the verdict?

I havent had time to check his new series, some say its funny, others say he's lost the magic. He did portray a Pacific Islander teenager in Summer Heights High with a slight make up tan added and no one said anything about it then although this is a bit more obvious blackface....

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/us-hiphop-industry-reacts-to-angry-boys-20110706-1h1k3.html

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I thought Angry Boys would grow on me, but I got bored with it real quick. Summer Heights High was way better because I think LIlley's affinity with and ability to concentrate on the three characters played out better. I had a read of the SMH thing and honestly, i don't find the Smouse thing particularly funny or offensive.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    not onthe radar. sorry.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    set back aussie rapp 20 years

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what is smouse?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Racist and--even worse--not funny.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Racist and--even worse--not funny.

+1

Kindly,
    parallax

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    yup, not funny at all. nothing worse than a badly executed parody.

I thought this song was the funniest thing that S.Mouse did in the series. And it's not that good.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i think chris lilley is a comedic genius and i love angry boys. that being said s.mouse is my least favorite character on the series only due to poor execution of american english. just my 2 cents.

peace, stein. . .:)

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    they're always all exactly the same characters. he's a one trick pony.

How much different is this from Ali G or the usual white comedian as rapper formula?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    How much different is this from Ali G or the usual white comedian as rapper formula?
    First, Ali G is actually funny. Second he's pretending to be a white man who thinks he's black, not a black man.

I don't watch this dude cause I've never found him particularly funny. Ali G gets away with stuff because he's very funny, but you could argue that Borat is way more racist than this S.Mouse thing, but who cares about offending Kazakhs, right?

Okem said:
    batmon said:
    First, Ali G is actually funny. Second he's pretending to be a white man who thinks he's black, not a black man.

I don't watch this dude cause I've never found him particularly funny. Ali G gets away with stuff because he's very funny, but you could argue that Borat is way more racist than this S.Mouse thing, but who cares about offending Kazakhs, right?

none of that shit is funny.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    batmon said:
    Okem said:
    batmon said:

none of that shit is funny.

Maybe it would be if you went to London and met some white, middle-class English 16 yr-olds talking patois.
    Maybe not.

What is funny is that Ali G was a piss-take of this phenomenom (duh-duh duh-duh-duh), and it almost seems that when kids saw Ali G, it somehow validated the 'black' accent/attitude thing - it definitely seems more prevalent since the show got popular.

b/w that S.mouse thing isn't funny

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This thread needs James.

B/W I gave up on Angry Boys after 3 episodes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

^^^Speaking of not funny.

• I'd say that Russell Peters is very much a one trick pony

• It's not quite Fur Q, is it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Menacetosobriety said:
    I'd say that Russell Peters is very much a one trick pony

a wave of ethnicity comedy copycats is the legacy he left us

white folks cant seem to let go of 80s gangster rap.

please move on to something else please.

• batmon said:
    white folks cant seem to let go of 80s gangster rap.

please move on to something else please.

If you're referring to the Fur Q video, it dates back 1994.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Kinetic said:

The irony is this could actually be a song on the radio.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• Can someone correct the spelling in the thread title? It's annoying the hell out of me....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    every sane strutter said:
    Can someone D.E.L.E.T.E. the thread? It's annoying the hell out of me....

• Brian said:
    set back aussie rapp 20 years

hahah

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    day said:
    Kinetic said:

The irony is this could actually be a song on the radio.

I Think there in lies the only redeeming quality about the whole thing. Not to mention the visual tone of the video in its entirety is remarkably on point. The day this episode aired, the shop next to the one I work at had Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow on HIGH rotation (ie 10-15 times in 8 hours) and I fail to see a difference, so all of those saying that this is an outdated view of rap need to fall back, this shit is still ALL OVER the radio.

I agree with many people that S'mouse is not really funny. I think the fact that Lilley improvises most of his material shows the worst in the case of S'mouse. Stein is right, the accent/phrasing is poor, he sounds more like the 15 year old taggers that hang around the train lines in Oz acting hard. Whether this is an intentional comment on young Australian males aping black American tropes is up for debate. Like NZ I switched off (or stopped downloading) after 3 episodes.

If you read all the responses in the article linked they obviously haven't bothered to watch a full episode, as his other character 'gran' is far more directly racist. However she's also a lot more amusing, so six of one half a dozen of the other. I think the character of S'mouse makes a lot more sense put into context of Nathan and Daniel, as he seems to echo a lot of the hyper male posturing that the boys engage in. That said, Lilley seems to just be exploring the different facets of what makes up the Australian male psyche, which I think is where the feeling of being a "one trick pony" comes from. If what we are seeing are different versions of the same character, it's because there is a direct relationship in how all of those characters combine to create the twins.

way too much pseudo intellectual blah blah. please to stop. discourse not deserving. thank you , move along.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts