Job Strut (From The Employers View)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I hear that unemployment is up???.and that it???s hard to find a ???good??? job.

For the last 2 weeks I have been interviewing candidates for an entry level position in one of the departments I head up.

I???ve told my HR people that I prefer someone with a science related degree but that it???s not a deal killer if they don???t have one.

I???m just looking for someone who wants to pursue a career and is willing to put in some work.

The job pays in the $40K ballpark and there are 5 people in the department. Over the last 3 years 8 people have received promotions out of this department into other areas of the company which all came with nice pay raises. Not a ???dead-end??? job by any means.

I interviewed about 10 people for the job after the HR folks had screened them???..and it was somewhat depressing.

I had one young girl ask if the work hours were ???flexible??? because she took classes from 10:00 ??? 2:00 every Monday, Wednesday & Friday and could only work 28 hours a week. It was clearly advertised as a 8-5/40 hour a week job. She listed her ???expected salary??? as $60K-$80K.

I had one young dude tell me flat out that he was only looking for a job to work for a year or so because he was moving out of state to marry a girl he met on the internet.

Another told me he wouldn???t take less than $60K as a salary even though he was fresh out of school looking for his first "real" job.

The dude I wound up hiring is from Africa???he was the ONLY one who came dressed in a shirt and tie or what I was taught was proper attire for a job interview??????.I could tell he truly wanted the job where with these others it seemed like it was a necessary evil.

I am discouraged by America???s youth.....at least these few I just interviewed.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    60k starting salary must be what they put in the college brochures these days as I interviewed some losers a few years ago and they were putting this number out there, even though their portfolios consisted of shit like group projects (coursework) and proof of concept PDFs. Yay. That was like 10k less than I was making there and I had been doing it for 10 years at that stage. Tsk tsk, that's gonna put you straight in the no pile. I started my first job in NYC on 28.5k and thought I had driven a hard bargain (the .5k part, LOL!)

The publishing industry however, still has plenty of people willing to work for less than 40k p.a. bless em.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The sad reality is that most young Americans fresh out of school with diplomas or degrees are not willing to work their way up the ladder anymore. I have to encounter similar individuals from time to time.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    What degree did that guy who asked for 60K have?
    Also, showing up for an interview without a tie is stupid IMO.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I recently had to answer the how much salary do you want question.
    I had no idea what the employer wanted or expected for an answer.

So I put a high number. I figured it they could offer a lower number and I would be sure to take it.

Guess I was wrong.
    I was supposed to put a number something around minimum wage?
    I was supposed to guess what the employer was paying and the one who guess right (don't go over) wins?

In the case of Rocks job the salary was advertised I think he is saying. If that had been the case I would have put that number. But if the salary is already set, why ask the question?

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    an oh yeah, when asked for a salary range I've always said a high number but its completely negotiable

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rock, do you know how many in total applied?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    an oh yeah, when asked for a salary range I've always said a high number but its completely negotiable

By all means aim high, but be aware of what your boss might be making and don't go anywhere near that! Your boss is pretty sure he's earned it, definitely sure you haven't.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Brian said:

It was listed online and in local papers for a week and we had around 30-40 applicants.

There are two screening mechanism's before I ever get to see a resume/application including a phone interview by HR.

I can't imagine what those folks who didn't make the first two cuts were like.

As far as an "expected" salary I would expect them all to be high, hoping for the best.....but to ask for 60-80K only being able to work 28 hours is pretty ridiculous....and if I'm out of work, which most of these folks were, I'll take $40K to get my foot in the door and get a paycheck rather than hold out for my "dream" salary of $60K.

And yes SC, I believe $60K is the starting salary that many college professors are feeding their students....after all, they have to justify those staggering student loans.

The dude not willing to work for less than $60K had a Biology degree.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Rock maybe your HR department is being run by a bunch of Toby Flendersons?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    50-60k is definitely what people think is "starting" but shits kinda based on years old figures that was under slightly lower unemployment. anyone who is unable to do their homework before an interview and at least know what is reasonable to ask for is probably not someone you want to hire.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    that is some shameful shit. people should be grateful they even HAVE a chance at an interview for a position.

you wanna hear something really sad. I worked at SONY Music for 3 yrs. I started out as a temp in the radio promo department. After realizing I wasnt going to secure a job there due to the high level of penis sucking I jumped shipped to any department I could.

I worked in copyright for 2 years as a temp (which is actually illegal since as a temp you can't receive benefits) they kept changing my job title to avoid this. anyway.

I was finally offered a position (an entry level one) as an assistant to Legacy. I would be helping design box sets and reissues (dream job). I was the ONLY person who had experience. I was the ONLY person who showed an actual interest in vinyl and box set reissues. I was the ONLY one who knew the history of the department. And I was the ONLY one who showed up in a suit and tie. and I was laughed at by overdressing. I lost the position to a girl who showed up in a tight skirt who was chewing gum in the lobby and was the top sales person at SAKS.

just to add to the story. I was finally hired as a international artist royalties coordinator. 2 days after I signed the papers I was "laid off". they realized if they hired me in a real position and not a temp job and I didn't work 90 days they didn't have to give me unemployment.

I would kill for a chance at 40k a year with benefits. some people just don't get it I guess.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that's retarted
    my wife has a maters degree and got a job (international UN organisation) taht paid slightly less than her in-university student/research job because she believes in it an will help her down the road.
    she is making 40k before taxes (canada has sweet healthcare but a boatload of tax)

i finish my master's this month and am applying for a between 36-42k position

now clearly we don't want to live our whole lives on 40k but i've been a coordinator at a youth center running a studio and working my ass off for some bullshit 12,7$/h so 40k is a huge step up
    if it's your first job and you are this picky you should whip yourself especially in the U.S
    btw we are both mid-20s

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Mr. Rockadelic Sir....

I have wondered if I ever got back into working for someone else, that I would answer the question of "How much do you think you should be paid for this position" with the question "Well.... as you can see from my application that I have been a successful self employed business person for XX years, and have earned well during those years. However, I don't expect you to match what I have made in the past, but i do expect to be treated fairly. As I have made it this far in the interview process I think that you feel I may be a good fit for your company so all I ask is that I would like you to please tell me what the position offers, and I am sure we can find an amicable amount for both your company and my living expenses"

In all seriousness, do you feel that most companies would eliminate me immediately from their candidates for the job or consider me for it based on my friendly (as i would definitely be friendly and professional when asking my question) demeanor?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The dude not willing to work for less than $60K had a Biology degree.

I wonder if he figured this was the least he could make and still pay off his student loans.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Brian said:

It was listed online and in local papers for a week and we had around 30-40 applicants.

There are two screening mechanism's before I ever get to see a resume/application including a phone interview by HR.

I can't imagine what those folks who didn't make the first two cuts were like.

As far as an "expected" salary I would expect them all to be high, hoping for the best.....but to ask for 60-80K only being able to work 28 hours is pretty ridiculous....and if I'm out of work, which most of these folks were, I'll take $40K to get my foot in the door and get a paycheck rather than hold out for my "dream" salary of $60K.

And yes SC, I believe $60K is the starting salary that many college professors are feeding their students....after all, they have to justify those staggering student loans.

I think many HR depts in companies throughout America are fucking trash. Their vetting processes are incomplete/irrelevant/arbitrary and their "instincts" fucking suck. Perhaps that's why you got the terrible candidates you mentioned Rock.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    We had a guy trying to get hired on send our HR lady a cake, from a great local bakery that we all love, that had printed on it "Thanks for the opportunity to interview with XXXXX company"

Not sure if he ever go the job or not, but the cake was delicious.

The_Non said:

I think many HR depts in companies throughout America are fucking trash. Their vetting processes are incomplete/irrelevant/arbitrary and their "instincts" fucking suck. Perhaps that's why you got the terrible candidates you mentioned Rock.

I hear you but I think our HR is pretty decent.....I've had really good luck with the folks I've hired over the years and I think I got a really good one this time too....but if these 10 were the best candidates the other 20 must have been brain-dead felons.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    behemoth said:

you wanna hear something really sad.
    ... I lost the position to a girl who showed up in a tight skirt who was chewing gum in the lobby and was the top sales person at SAKS.

just to add to the story. I was finally hired as a international artist royalties coordinator. 2 days after I signed the papers I was "laid off". they realized if they hired me in a real position and not a temp job and I didn't work 90 days they didn't have to give me unemployment.

Dang just reading that was a downer. And as a student making on the side a little money which really isn't a whole lot by Western standards, Rockadelic's situation is borderline absurd to me.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "so... what's your post count on soulstrut?"

was this guy from Africa named Jamal bychance?

if so, I really question your judgement

tuneup said:
    Mr. Rockadelic Sir....

I have wondered if I ever got back into working for someone else, that I would answer the question of "How much do you think you should be paid for this position" with the question "Well.... as you can see from my application that I have been a successful self employed business person for XX years, and have earned well during those years. However, I don't expect you to match what I have made in the past, but i do expect to be treated fairly. As I have made it this far in the interview process I think that you feel I may be a good fit for your company so all I ask is that I would like you to please tell me what the position offers, and I am sure we can find an amicable amount for both your company and my living expenses"

In all seriousness, do you feel that most companies would eliminate me immediately from their candidates for the job or consider me for it based on my friendly (as i would definitely be friendly and professional when asking my question) demeanor?

A**on,
    I really place a big value on the interview and just try to get a feel for what kind of person they are. Knowing you like I do I'd hire you in a minute. When a young person asks me how to pursue a career path I give them this advice "Act as if you own the company and make every effort and decision accordingly". This will BOTH set you on a good career path and/or prepare you to own your own business. Since I know you understand how to run a business I'd hire you before most others.

My Dad used to say that every H.S. grad should be forced to join the Armed Services....I think they should each be given $5K and told they have to start a legal business....those who succeed get to maintain their business and those who don't should join the Armed Services until the $5K is paid back.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not sure if you read this or if it was posted here but i'm sure you'll think this is a good idea based on your $5k business idea

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/05/25/136646918/paypal-co-founder-hands-out-100-000-fellowships-to-not-go-to-college

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    tuneup said:

My Dad used to say that every H.S. grad should be forced to join the Armed Services....I think they should each be given $5K and told they have to start a legal business....those who succeed get to maintain their business and those who don't should join the Armed Services until the $5K is paid back.

Quite a sensible idea! Oldskool, yes....but, I like it ;)

Too many fussy high and mighty assholes these days, who wouldn't know the first thing A) about hardwork; or B) how to work well

• forced conscription preceded by a Who's Got Talent entrepreneurial invention convention is such a laughably bad idea that it almost defies Rockalogic.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    forced conscription preceded by a Who's Got Talent entrepreneurial invention convention is such a laughably bad idea that it almost defies Rockalogic.

how do you think China got where they did?

ideas like this

I propose calling Rocks program "the Great Bootstrap Forward"

• Options
    tuneup said:

This is the very last thing the Armed Services would be interested in.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Working class kids are already forced to join the military (due to lack of opportunities elsewhere).

• now this may not qualify under the same scope of hiring but i definitely have SERIOUS problems when it comes to hiring quality employees. i've been running a construction contracting company for years now and the hardest part of any year is NOT keeping books, is NOT making sales, is NOT advertising, is NOT getting residual business..... but it is finding someone who is willing to just plain old work. the sense of entitlement among recent university or college grads is so insanely high i dont even know where to begin. while i understand that my field is mostly a stop-gap position on your way to a career in civil engineering, human resources, whatever.... but the job you're currently working at is YOUR JOB. everyone who is in the middle of a post-secondary education applies for a job with my company because it just so happens that my busiest time of year aligns with their summer vacations. some of the interviews i've hosted have bordered on psychotic and megalomaniac.

i've had kids..... yes KIDS, sit across a table from me and demand a pay rate in the same sentence as telling me that they have zero experience in the field. i've had people tell me that they took courses in running a small business and therefore qualify for the same pay rate as ME, someone with 15 years experience.

geh..... i could literally go on forever. it happens every year like clock work. my season has been going since early march and i STILL dont have a full staff because of the amount of quitting and dismissals.

oh, and on top of hiring i still have to complete work.

i'm very glad you got an academic scholarship, but thanks to you i have to work a 15 hour day...... again.

NomoreGarciaparra said:

This is the very last thing the Armed Services would be interested in.

Of course.....and there's no way it would ever happen.

But if offered $5K to start a business, with the consequence of failing being having to conscript your life for 4 months in the Army, I would imagine there would be plenty of takers.