Scratch ID - Crumbs on the Table

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Does anyone know the source for the sample/scratch which goes ?

Is that a turntable ?

Well, get on it.

Is your time

What ?

You are a Discjockey ?

Ha ha ha haha

You can hear it in this D-Nice classic

I know the source was used in other tracks too. Could you name some ??

Peace

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the only help i can offer is that this was on a few of the rectangle battle records

• TheForceTheForce 21 Posts
    Mikey Dread - Technical Selection Br>

http://www.mikeydread.com/images/cdcovers/links_and_covers/africananthem.jpg" alt="" />

Br?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRPfT9UP78

• TheForceTheForce 21 Posts
    Here's the rest

"Brothers and sisters good night. I hope your feeling alright" around 4:40 ish

"What your are disc jockey" at the end

There's some other notable samples on this record too!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    This is great, thank you.

What makes me curious is that those lines do not sound like Patwa. They have a different accent.

There are also cartoon sounds inside those dub songs. And if you listen to this tune at 3.06 you will hear a shout that says "Mikey Dread comes for conquer", but the "M" of Mikey starts slow, like he had a record of that vocal which he started from hand on a belt record player.

Google search brought up this information:

Michael Campbell (AKA Mikey Dread) was the DJ behind the groundbreaking Dread at the Controls show on the JBC. Campbell was initially forbidden to speak on his show due to his engineer status and had to use a pre-recorded announcer. However, he worked around his restrictions by using many strange sound effects and jingles to marry the tunes together.
    (...)
    African Anthem was his first album and first release on his label. It features of a mix of dub and DJ tracks with a fair number of jingles and sound effects.

And from a interview:

I started spending my days in the record library looking for music I knew but did not have. I found a lot of boxes of great tunes that were not catalogued. I knew then I had found a gold mine - and the librarians were too uptown to even know what they had!

I also listened to a lot of sci-fi sound effects LPs, comedy LPs and some comedic one-liners and decided that I would record some of them and play them on my show between songs and over dubs as in those days you would not hear dub on the radio.
    (...)
    I later wrote some of my own one-liners and got some kids in to record them:

???Mommy I don???t want to go to bed,
    I want to listen to Mikey Dread instead???

And females too:

???Oh, my gosh, the music just turns me on???

Then other artists come into the studio and recorded others as well. Some artists made up their own lines, too.

The question is if the "Discjockey" lines are recorded by him or if its from a pre-recorded record he found in the vaults of the radio station.

Another thing is that his radio shows seem to be something of early proto - mixtapes, cut n paste tunes, mastermixes, sample usages and so on.

Peace