Montreal Jazz Fest

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
So it looks like I will be up in Montreal for a few days during this Jazz Fest this year. But oddly, this is just dumb luck as I was just planning a quick getaway for an extended weekend vacation.

While I typically would be more than excited at the opportunity to see live music, my original intentions were just to mill around Montreal with the GF for a few days to check in the sites. This would be my first time to visit Montreal.

Do any of the Canadian Strutters know if I shot myself in the foot by planning my trip this week (i.e. is it going to be crazy packed and take away from the experience) or should I instead be pleasantly surprised by accidentally coordinating my trip this week. Again, I am a fan of seeing good music, I just didn't plan on making that a primary purpose of this trip.

In the past, my main experience with musical festivals has been SXSW, and when I lived in Austin I would have never told anyone to come visit that week unless they wanted to be there for the festival. But with that said, I don't know if the Jazz Festival pulls the same type of crowd & attention as SXSW does.

thanks in advance for anyone who can shed some light on how the City gets down with the festival.

Comments

• from what i remember, the jazz festival treads quite lightly on any places you might want to see. there's going to be more people than there would normally be, but nothing that will prevent you from doing your thang.

first time going?

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Prepare to be harassed by "security" every once in a while, even if you're just walking down the street. Feel free to ignore them, though.

• its only really packed in the festival areas, especially on the nights when there are the big free outdoor shows near place des arts. will also be there coincidentally for jazz fest this summer. what are the hot shows this year?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I'm driving up from ny with a couple peoples. Milton Nascimento is playing, and Prince just announced 2 shows, although tickets start at like $150. I just saw dude play 5 months ago, so I can't justify it, even though it was the best show I've seen.

Any other good shows? I'm in town Friday and Saturday night.

• do not sleep on this place in 'old montreal' [touristy].

http://www.jardinnelson.com/

one of the best restaurant experiences i've had in recent memory.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the city itself won't be affected
    the festival spot has been better streamlined so you will be able to walk through more easily
    i recommend nomadic massive, and some homies are spinning tropical/cumbia (canicule tropicale) there is also powerdam initiative but having not seen them i can't vouch.
    if you need food recommendations let me know

• Here are some strut-worthy shows I bookmarked. most free, some under $30-40. see the website for info:

Sunday June 26, 2011
    10:00 PM
    Boogat
    Sc??ne Bell ??? Groove Bell
    11:00 PM
    Soul Rebels Brass Band
    Sc??ne TD de la place des Festivals ??? Les Performances de la sc??ne TD
    11:59 PM
    The Unsettlers
    Savoy du M??tropolis ??? Nightcap Heineken

Monday June 27, 2011
    7:00 PM
    Hugh Masekela
    Club Soda ??? Les Couleurs SAQ

Tuesday June 28, 2011
    Shaolin Temple Defenders

Wednesday June 29, 2011
    7:00 PM
    Lee Fields & The Expressions
    Club Soda ??? Les Couleurs SAQ
    Shaolin Temple Defenders

Thursday June 30, 2011
    6:00 PM
    Parc-X Trio
    Sc??ne TD de la place des Festivals ??? Les Gammes TD
    Shaolin Temple Defenders
    Sc??ne Bell ??? Nightcap Heineken

Friday July 1, 2011
    Jaga Jazzist
    Club Soda ??? Les Nuits Heineken
    Nomadic Massive

Saturday July 2, 2011
    Afrodizz
    Club Soda ??? Les Nuits Heineken

Sunday July 3, 2011
    Mexican Institute of Sound

first post! Hi all!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nice post
    enchant??

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    thanks a bunch dudes for the info. i looked at Prince tickets, but i think its sold out. More importantly, it looks like the Jazz Fest is going to be a welcomed back ground to our trip, without being our primary focus.

will try and look for a few shows for sure. FYI, if anyone has other Montreal recommendations (food, spots, etc) feel fee to post em or hit me on the PM. Very excited to get up here.

• the opening show Paco de Lucia is sold out.

The next best is Return to Forever, w Jean-Luc Ponty. $80 though.

• i think i am going to get tiks for this thurs. june 30th show. the prices actually seem reasonable for this one:

Sade
    Very special guest: John Legend
    Bell Centre
    $55.50 - $99.50 - $149.50

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i posted some stuff in the maps
    don't go do the mont-royal digging circuit not worth it imo
    if you are here on june 24th get ready for mayhem (worth driving to Quebec city IMO)

• Le Pied au Cochon is one of the best restos in Montreal, although tough to get in without a reservation.... I'd advise doing so, it's well worth it. Check out Le Pick Up on des Pins for records, Denis is great for funk, jazz, and psych.

jlee said:
    FYI, if anyone has other Montreal recommendations (food, spots, etc) feel fee to post em or hit me on the PM.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Eat at La Montee de Lait up on St. Laurent near St. Joseph - very good, very montreal.... ate there when I was in town a little while ago and enjoyed myself very much.
    http://www.lamonteedelait.com/

Other pics nearby-ish

Reservoir
    Pintxo (tapas)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    restaurants
    fancy=pied de cochon, garde manger
    world=bocadillo,chilenita,ma's place,casa cr??ole,qing hua, doby&andy;,boustan
    fastfood=the main,romados,la banquise
    drinks/beer:r??servoir, dieu du ciel (highly recommended)
    breakfast=cosmo's
    ice cream=le bilboquet
    records:
    le pickup, cheap thrills, phonopolis....avoid paul's boutique and death of vinyl (unless unorganized chud floats your boat)
    you should bike around if possible (bixi)

visit mont-royal while eating romados chicken with a local beer, get some herb and visit the stores
    walk in the old port see the sights and sounds than holla at garde manger
    have a hangover breakfast at cosmos then check the salvo/store
    also this is always helpful
    http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/2011/05/12/best-of-montreal-2011/

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    it pains me to say it, but Romados' quality has dropped recently. prices hiked, chickens getting smaller.
    the sweet woman that used to work there opened up her own place (St-Denis/Mt royal...also expensive)

• jaga jazzist might convince me to make the trip. Canada day though so i suspect insane crowds/tourists.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cove said:
    it pains me to say it, but Romados' quality has dropped recently. prices hiked, chickens getting smaller.
    the sweet woman that used to work there opened up her own place (St-Denis/Mt royal...also expensive)

ever since they got the new kitchen it tasted different
    i thought i would give it some time
    that woman used to give me extra chicken a lot because of my portuguese sweet talk
    quantity/quality/price was the winning ticket...not anymore i guess...thanks for confirming

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    jaga jazzist might convince me to make the trip. Canada day though so i suspect insane crowds/tourists.

come on down!
    there are not that many peeps celebrating canada day in this province
    maybe some parade BS
    there is a secret spot for checking the fireworks up close though

• do not fear canuck crowds the only places that will be jammed are the free shows on july 1. 95% of downtown will be walkable/enjoyable