X-Men First Class

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Just got back from the movie. I say go see it. There is no surprise ending after the credits so don't waste your time.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    does Banshee really get loose or just a quick display of power?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The new recruits get to get down.

I will say this there is one HUGE plot flaw towards the end, but I'll talk about that after more people see the movie.

There is also one bad racial stereotype

• i know one of the dudes that just lost a writing credit for this turkey. apparently the script has been through umpteen re-writes and script doctors.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/josh_schwartz_jamie_moss_lose_screenwriting_credits_for_x-men_first_class/

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    motown67 said:

He wasn't the First to die... C'mon - Although that's the first thing my girl said.

Only mutant like him and he dies. He doesn't have to be the first

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    still need to watch it..

isnt jack nicholson a perfect older wolverine btw?
    and pam grier a much better Storm in my opinion..

but anyway, yall need to check this out, X-men Anime!
    http://www.gogoanime.com/category/x-men

motown67 said:

someone in the audience questioned that one part. "why he gotta show the black guy?"

This and Thor are average flicks and they still cant surpass Batman,Ironman, and Spiderman 1.

Not enuff action in these things.

And that was not the X-Men history at all.

Banshee and Havok was good to see.

Red Nightcrawler looked good but overall Fail.

MAD X MEN

Good looking movie. Style points very high.

January Jones gotta flat ass. Mystique got a bubble.

Hugh Jackman= good look.

Jamal said:
    still need to watch it..

isnt jack nicholson a perfect older wolverine btw?
    and pam grier a much better Storm in my opinion..men

wont even touch the Jack Nicolson shit.

Pam Grier even at 20 years old looks nothing like Storm. Halle Berry doesnt either.
    She a slender brown skinnned sister and should be casted a such.
    She deosnt look like Sade, Oprah,Angela Bassett, or Beyonce.
    Iman and Niaomi Campbell is what she resembles.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    X2>First class> xmen 1. Im not including xmen 3 or wolverine as they were major turds. The highlight of the movie at least from the audience perspective was wolvies apperance. Btw did not know you could say the F word in a pg-13 movie?? Mad disconnected.

fckvwls said:
    X2>First class> xmen 1. Im not including xmen 3 or wolverine as they were major turds. The highlight of the movie at least from the audience perspective was wolvies apperance. Btw did not know you could say the F word in a pg-13 movie?? Mad disconnected.

Xmen 3 had more action than all of them despite the terrible jeaan grey love shit

I am fine with not that much action. Iron Man 1 did not have much, and I take that series to actually be about Starks dealing with his father's legacy than fighting bad guys, and I have nothing wrong with that.

My point being, X3 was crap and First Class was much better no matter how much action was in one or the other.

Yah first class was good. No surprise as the director did layer cake i believe.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i havent really liked any of the xmen flicks. i just dont think it lends itself to movies very well so its not like the acting and whatevers wasnt good. its just theres like 30 different characters and they wind up half assing the whole movie trying to explain them all. this latest one is no exception.

on the other hand i went into thor thinking it was gon be a turd but it wasnt that bad. soon as they got out of that ice castles shit it was decent.

motown67 said:
    I am fine with not that much action. Iron Man 1 did not have much, and I take that series to actually be about Starks dealing with his father's legacy than fighting bad guys, and I have nothing wrong with that.

My point being, X3 was crap and First Class was much better no matter how much action was in one or the other.

im not fine with less action. i disagree that FC > X3.

Both Batmans were relatively slow as hell but the action was the shit. or there was enuff to keep it moving.

Thor's climatic scene against Loki was a damn fist fight. and his Destroyer fight was limp.

X3 opening scene with Nightcrawler was heat as well as the end fight against the soldiers.

im sick of the lets have Magneto lift something big formula. He was the movie though.

this flick really twists the hell out of the xmen history. but i know one cant use logic to explain the movie timelines.

Havok is now 15 years older than Cyclops? whateves.

• Options
    motown67 said:

I hope they balanced that out with some GOOD racial stereotypes.

NomoreGarciaparra said:
    motown67 said:

I hope they balanced that out with some GOOD racial stereotypes.

Lenny Kravitz daughter as a Fly hooker?

Batmon, we'll have to agree to disagree. The climax of X3 after Magneto moved the bridge was total crap.

motown67 said:
    Batmon, we'll have to agree to disagree. The climax of X3 after Magneto moved the bridge was total crap.

cool. I liked the army fight. i lost it when jean Grey went crazy and disintergrated everyone and wolverine went Love Story.

This FC climax had its merits but Shaw and Magento didnt really get into it after all that buildup. Shaw did all that for nuffin.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    fckvwls said:
    X2>First class> Btw did not know you could say the F word in a pg-13 movie?? Mad disconnected.

One of the weirdest MPAA rules: you can say "fuck" exactly one time in a PG13 movie. I know this only because I once heard Will Ferrell say that the "go fuck yourself, San Diego" line in Anchorman was written so that the exact climactic center point of the movie would be his one allotted usage of "fuck."

Haha thats awesome, thanks for dropping the knowledge. I just assumed movie standards were dropping as of late. That was lenny kravitz daughter??? Wow moira was fukkkin hot.

fckvwls said:
    Haha thats awesome, thanks for dropping the knowledge. I just assumed movie standards were dropping as of late. That was lenny kravitz daughter??? Wow moira was fukkkin hot.

Zoe played Angel.

Moira McTaggert was the Cia cutie w/ the flat bootie.

maldorurr said:
    fckvwls said:
    X2>First class> Btw did not know you could say the F word in a pg-13 movie?? Mad disconnected.

One of the weirdest MPAA rules: you can say "fuck" exactly one time in a PG13 movie. I know this only because I once heard Will Ferrell say that the "go fuck yourself, San Diego" line in Anchorman was written so that the exact climactic center point of the movie would be his one allotted usage of "fuck."

After he gets fired from the station for saying that he screams fuck over and over. "I would never say fuck!" as the crowd surrounds him.

The reason why I consider Dark Knight and Iron Man the very best of the genre, and just great films overall are the stories and characters. The action is a bonus. I went in looking for good adaptations of the comic books, and walked out thinking those were great movies period, especially Dark Knight.

motown67 said:
    The reason why I consider Dark Knight and Iron Man the very best of the genre, and just great films overall are the stories and characters. The action is a bonus. I went in looking for good adaptations of the comic books, and walked out thinking those were great movies period, especially Dark Knight.

As a comic book fan I prefer the acting/story to be balanced with the action. Its a super hero flick.
    The action for me is as integral as the story/character development. Wack fight/action scenes w/ great acting is fail imo.

Iron Man like i said before was good but its weight comes from Downey's charisma. Tony Stark isnt a comedian.
    All of the Marvel movies have a light tone to them. Too light IMO.

If u saw all the X-Flicks what did this new movie bring to the table with the Charles vs. Magneto/King vs Malcom thang?
    You already knew Eric was a Holocaust survivior. I didnt see much on that level.
    Maybe the Prof X/Shaw Magneto corny "place between serenity and pain" mantra was some revalation to how Magneto taps his potential.

My favorite scene in the Dark Knight after the Hong Kong Abduction is when Bruce Wayne/Bale is sittin at home after Rachel dies contemplating why he even is Batman. There is no comparison to the way the "beginnings" of the two Batmans work out to this "First Class".
    Maybe its tougher with a team story, but the tone to FC is still on the light tip, despite the Nazi/Cuban Missle crisis which to me was a bite off of The Watchmen steez. Blah blah ...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    batmon said:
    despite the Nazi/Cuban Missle crisis which to me was a bite off of The Watchmen steez. Blah blah ...

they had no shame in stealing kubricks war room. or maybe this is what all war rooms looked like back then.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    motown67 said:
    maldorurr said:
    fckvwls said:

After he gets fired from the station for saying that he screams fuck over and over. "I would never say fuck!" as the crowd surrounds him.

But that's only on the DVD (either not rated or rated R, can't remember), which was part of the joke. Theatrical version was just the one. I feel borderline stupid for knowing anything about Anchorman in this depth

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I thought XMen FC was/is the best of all the xmen movies except for maybe part two. It was great. I have to admit it was mostly Magneto's vengance story arc that was the most interesting for me. I wish they had explored that more.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I thought the Magneto revenge story was cool and Ass Bender did a good job, but overall I thought it was a bit of a yawn-fest...all very predictable.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    These two = SWOON CITY