Dear Strutters, could you please keep an eye out for this record?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    edith head said:
    Horseleech said:
    Would your mom like to see her music reissued?

I think the answer to this would be hell yes. She loves attention!

But seriously, I would love to see her older stuff reissued. I grew up with her singing in the 80s and that material became much more produced and much less organic sounding like most stuff during that decade.

Check your PMs...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Check your PMs...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    kala said:

It's indeed awesome, I love this comp.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    WOW

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've got $20 that Rockadelic finds a copy in Texas.

This is awesome btw, wish my mom made records.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    edith head said:

Amazing! This sounds like something Tarantino could have used in Kill Bill. Good luck on finding an OG (and reissuing it...).

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Blast Kid said:
    edith head said:

Amazing! This sounds like something Tarantino could have used in Kill Bill.

yep, it's the horns, galloping percussion and organ. I agree though. I love her voice on the chorus especially, she can really belt it out. Song is epic in my book

• kala said:

Great compilation! I opened up for Dengue Fever last night, spun a 90 minute set of Khmer, Thai, and Vietnamese psych, garage rock, and funk. Dropped a few tunes from this comp.

M

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I would buy a comp of this music.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    luck said:
    I would buy a comp of this music.
    Seriously.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    2 more

should have these in hand tomorrow, and will try to poast soundclips before I ship them to their rightful owner in SF. Huge thanks to the homie Linh who dug these up in Vietnam months back, unaware of the connection.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Wow! Incredible.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    PEOPLE ARE HEALING.

B/W

I still love this place.

It's fitting that Jonny was the (first and hopefully not the last) one to come through with these. Such a great look and such a great story. I'd say "thanks" but I'm not really involved.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    2 more

should have these in hand tomorrow, and will try to poast soundclips before I ship them to their rightful owner in SF. Huge thanks to the homie Linh who dug these up in Vietnam months back, unaware of the connection.

many many many many many many many many many many many thanks, homey.
    i am not worthy

hogginthefogg said:

It's fitting that Jonny was the (first and hopefully not the last) one to come through with these. Such a great look and such a great story. I'd say "thanks" but I'm not really involved.

i guess jonny texted me pics of the singles this morning but i forgot my phone at home. i wonder how many hours went by where he thought i was being an ungrateful jerk, ha ha ha.

yeah I was hell of mad! no, it was just before I emailed you.

hogginthefogg said:

Jonny was the (first and hopefully not the last)

Technically speaking, the boy Rape_Donkeys got hold of another 45 a week or two back which is arriving in the mail. ha. And Linh's the one that found them, I'm just sitting here in the record store.

Along with the above photos, Linh texted: "by the way, her mother is famous - I know that song "Saigon" by heart from childhood."

It's a beautiful thing.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Technically speaking, the boy Rape_Donkeys got hold of another 45 a week or two back which is arriving in the mail. ha.

Say whaaaaaat??

without warrrnnnning, a gnargoyle walks by!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    And Linh's the one that found them, I'm just sitting here in the record store.

Hahaha, I was talking to Linh when she mentioned buying records in Vietnam and Jonny was all

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    2 thowed!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Strut at its finest.

If/when the comp gets dropped, please let us know!

• This thread is approaching Stark bean dip levelz.

• very cool, don't know why i thought it would take two years rather than two weeks.

will check for any reissue.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    This thread is approaching Stark bean dip levelz.

Has shades of Mingering Mike for sure anyway.

Uh, so my mom his a terrible communicator and i got my hands on 3 singles she had that she was being all Secret Squirrel about when my sister asked her again about finding her records. The 4th green sleeve is unfortunately empty

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Epic stuff going on here! Can't wait to hear more, loved the tunes that were shared.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    because of this thread, i started e-digging thru pre-75 vietnamese music... i gotta say, Truc Mai is def one of the bigger names out there for mid 60's female singers... most of the stuff was collected in the 70's as reel to reels, in the 80's as cassettes, and in the 90's as CD's... if you pick up any random 60's vietnamese pop collection, chances are at least one Truc Mai song is on there...

anyways, the music is really interesting... the early 60's stuff is very French influenced, both in terms of cover songs and musical style... by the late 60's, the American influence has taken over and there is a lot of funky and soulful stuff (ie. covers of "want ads" and "lalala means i love you")... there are also bands totally dedicated to specific sounds, like The Peanut Family sounds like Santana...

anways, i put together a one hour mix of this stuff (used a Truc Mai song for my 2nd tune) and you can hear it here, under: VIETNAM

www.viva-radio.com/cleanandhumble

• p_gunn said:
    because of this thread, i started e-digging thru pre-75 vietnamese music... i gotta say, Truc Mai is def one of the bigger names out there for mid 60's female singers... most of the stuff was collected in the 70's as reel to reels, in the 80's as cassettes, and in the 90's as CD's... if you pick up any random 60's vietnamese pop collection, chances are at least one Truc Mai song is on there...

anyways, the music is really interesting... the early 60's stuff is very French influenced, both in terms of cover songs and musical style... by the late 60's, the American influence has taken over and there is a lot of funky and soulful stuff (ie. covers of "want ads" and "lalala means i love you")... there are also bands totally dedicated to specific sounds, like The Peanut Family sounds like Santana...

anways, i put together a one hour mix of this stuff (used a Truc Mai song for my 2nd tune) and you can hear it here, under: VIETNAM

www.viva-radio.com/cleanandhumble

this is killer, thanks for posting! loving the selections.