Dear Strutters, could you please keep an eye out for this record?

Comments

• How cool!! Great song too!

Question: sorry to be dense, maybe I missed it...but for those of us ignoramuses who aren't very familiar with the Vietnamese language - and in order to assist those on the lookout - what part of the writing on the cover is her name?

Good luck in your quest!

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    That song is great, drop the mp3's on us.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the record is burned into my memory, Audrey. I'll find one...watch

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Damn that song is dope!

AwwwD, Aaron (mine and Serg's friend) always seems to come up on stuff like this. I can give him a heads up when I get to my laptop.

• nice record.

will be even better when this thread gets bumped with the find in hand. considering all the connections and heavy grip here i'll bet one will be found inside of two years.

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    Excellent tune!
    I have a journalist friend who goes to Vietnam semi-regularly. I've put him on the trail.

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    and . . .

brokenrecord said:
    what part of the writing on the cover is her name?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Wow! thanks for the kind words everyone and offering to help keep an eye out. She actually has more than that record I posted, but I have no idea what they look like as that image is the only googleable record image.

Mom recorded under TrucMai. I uploaded 2 more songs. The title track on that record is "Han Mac Tu" which is about this vietnamese love poet. it probably my favorite from hers as it really showcases her incredible vocal range and there are lots of interesting progressions

This track is more westernized and 70s. Appears to have been ripped from tape since it sounds garbled in some areas

sorry i don't know how to keep these videos from autoplaying

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    1) Awesome all around
    2) All of those videos autoplaying at the same time is pretty psychedelic

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Love this. Any chance of a little more back story?

edith head said:
    sorry i don't know how to keep these videos from autoplaying
    Delete this "&autoplay=1" from the embed code .

Thanks for the tip! I fixed it

• nice songs, thanks audrey. i know a few record guys out there, will see if they know her stuff. here's a pic of another one:

rape_donkeys said:
    nice songs, thanks audrey. i know a few record guys out there, will see if they know her stuff. here's a pic of another one:

W H O A ! ! !

i've never seen that one. Thank you!

• styling heavily.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    :face_melt:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    edith head said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    nice songs, thanks audrey. i know a few record guys out there, will see if they know her stuff. here's a pic of another one:

W H O A ! ! !

i've never seen that one. Thank you!
    The same site has 6 more photographs in its 'trucmai' folder.

-

I did a quick google & turned up these..

-

A couple of singles

from here - http://diendan.cailuongso.com/showthread.php?t=4359

This page seems to have a pretty extensive discography for download. http://amnhacviet.net/casi/trucmai.htm

Not sure what this forum is about - http://sachxua.net/forum/index.php?topic=7460.285

http://www.music.hatnang.com/node/11442 (inc mp3)

This place has songs & pictures of the release
    http://www.lungtung.com/nhacvang/pub/performer_songs.asp?ArtistID=35

• Wow, this thread just got SERIOUS.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    rape donkey's+unearthed musical treasures+helping a SSvet out +domino effect= what the strut is all about

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Would your mom like to see her music reissued?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Such a hauntingly cinematic sound.

If anyone had posted that clip, that album would have been intantly added to many a strutter's wishlists. The fact that this is your mum and you are now on a quest to find a copy... well, thats just amazing.

Your mum rules.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Horseleech said:

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    A+ research, rape_donkeys.

Have you shown your lovely mom this thread yet? I'd be interested to know her reaction.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Almond said:
    A+ research, rape_donkeys.

Have you shown your lovely mom this thread yet? I'd be interested to know her reaction.

I'd be interested to know her reaction to the fact that a guy named rape_donkeys is researching her music past.

(OK, but seriously, this is a very fuckin' cool thread.)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

HOT

HOTTER

LMHAT

Apologies Audrey

Very cool to have RR-raerfiendery family history.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Amazing stuff A,

I have no doubt you will get some records or tapes soon.

I remember searching out some Vietnamese music a couple years back and using this forum.

http://www.vnav.vn/forum/index.php

Doing a search for TrucMai, go to the bottom of the page and switch it to searching "vnav.vn" instead of Web.

Hope this helps any!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

wow

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pcmr said:
    rape donkey's+unearthed musical treasures+helping a SSvet out +domino effect= what the strut is all about

This.

An instant classic SS thread, and some amazing music too. A++, would buy from again.

My mind is blown, she looks crazy young in those pics. She has to be like 18 or 19 in that yellow hat wearing one. Super cute!

I don't even think my mom has seen those singles in 40+ years. I can't wait to show her this thread the next time I see her! She doesn't even have a computer. She is going to completely freak out

Horseleech said:

I think the answer to this would be hell yes. She loves attention!

But seriously, I would love to see her older stuff reissued. I grew up with her singing in the 80s and that material became much more produced and much less organic sounding like most stuff during that decade.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    haha this is all too amazing.