Current rock - what's doing it for you?

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I'm still listening to the Tame Impala LP...
What else is the Strut listening to? Nothing has caught my ear yet and I need something new...

Comments

• Red Fang

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Moon Duo / Wooden Shjips
    Thank You
    Psychic Paramount
    Gang Gang Dance

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    It isn't brand new, but I'm enjoying Deerhunter's most recent record.

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    Dungen

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    New Fleet Foxes is the best thing I've heard this year.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Follakzoid EP - Chilean psych on Sacred Bones.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    This:

Saw them live, absolutely amazing. The drummer is a lurker around here apparently (Hi T**m)

[salmahayek]

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    if you are in to them, the new(ish) trail of dead is the best one they've put out in a long while.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Cave Singers

• Options
    Sic Alps
    Puffy Areolas
    The new Alvarius B - "Baroque Primitiva"

• francozola0francozola0 129 Posts

• francozola0francozola0 129 Posts
    Love these

francozola0 said:
    Love these

this is rock music?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    francozola0 said:
    Love these

this is rock music?

I was raving about this to someone last year, and they asked me what it sounded like. I said, "early Siouxsie & the Banshees produced by the Neptunes". Nothing else I've heard by them is quite as good, but this still works for me.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    This:

Saw them live, absolutely amazing. The drummer is a lurker around here apparently (Hi T**m)

[salmahayek]

Rock flute. :shit_yeah:

My vote:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Can I say 'I don't like any of the new shit.' Then post up a song from my band on Soundcloud instead.

..or would that be too ghetto?

- spidey

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Al Stewart meets Peter Hook and Donald Byrd?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Anyone got any new rock to share that isn't folk or on some throwback type sound?

Each to their own and all that but would love to hear some modern sounding rock that actually, you know, rocks. That Pulled Apart By Horses song isn't bad but most of the rest of this thread seems to be very dinner party-esqe. IMHO.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

More in the rawk vein...

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    The Alps (from SF, & not The Sic Alps)
    F??llakzoid
    Moon Duo/Wooden Shjips
    Dungen

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I've said it before on here, and you've gotta watch out, as they are over prolific with the releases, but Thee Oh Sees are my SCHITT.
    Recommended albums:
    The Hounds of a Foggy Notion
    Dog Poison
    Help
    The Masters Bedroom...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    For me, it's all about the instrumental metal of Eagle Claw right about now...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you dig Eagle Claw you may like this.....Liquid Sound Company is a side project of metal band Solitude Aeturnus guitarist John Perez.....many of you know John as the long haired dude who sells all those cool T-Shirts at ARC....this is their latest release.

Junior said:
    Anyone got any new rock to share that isn't folk or on some throwback type sound?

Each to their own and all that but would love to hear some modern sounding rock that actually, you know, rocks. That Pulled Apart By Horses song isn't bad but most of the rest of this thread seems to be very dinner party-esqe. IMHO.

Would you like to try some really messy mathy prog?

El Grupo Nuevo de ORL - They're Coming To Get You Barbara!

- spidey

• Junior said:

I'm not sure if these even qualify as "rock" or whatever but this is where my ear's at for stuff that's not dance or funk/soul related...

I'm loving the new Battles record:

and the Tune-Yards album is some of the freshest shit i've heard in a long time

Wolf People is awesome though, thanks for hipping me to them

rock threads on soulstrut have been funny since I joined 8 or so years ago. Its like asking for fashion advice on this board.

The_Hook_Up said:
    rock threads on soulstrut have been funny since I joined 8 or so years ago. Its like asking for fashion advice on this board.

oh just shutup and recommend something already..

- spidey

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

oh just shutup and recommend something already..

- spidey

Ha, was just about to write the same damn thing (I know Hook Up hatts on Thee Oh Sees...Would like to think I contributed to the 'funny'.)

Ha...butthurt.
    I did recommend something, Adios Gringo aka Gringos. They have 8 or so records.

Don't like the oh sees but wouldn't deny they are rock music.