Question for soul/funk DJs that have done weddings

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I've been approached to do a wedding this summer by a fan of the blog (i.e. someone who's already familiar with what I do).
What have those of you that have spun soul/funk on vinyl in a similar situation charged?
I'll be bringing all my own equipment.
Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Somewhere in the ballpark of 1000$ I would say

How far from where you live?

Do they want you to MC as well?

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    I've DJed weddings for friends who have asked and I always charge $300 but I know that is really low!
    From what I've heard, 1G is pretty much the going rate for career wedding DJs so if it's a friend (or a strutteur) you could cut them a bit of a break. Hauling your own equipment is a big pain in the ass though, so..... if you can get a grand, I'd say your doing pretty well.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    It's down in Philly, so about 90 minutes. The guy mentioned some MC activity but nothing too strenuous, basic introductions/announcements etc.

Tell them you'll reduce the rate if they get you room. (If you in fact would like a room)

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    I've done this twice and will be doing it again in August. I charged $500 but they supplied the amp and speakers and paid for a hotel room and had seats/meals at the reception for both me and my wife.
    The other time was in FLA and they flew my wife and I down, supplied all of the equipment, hotel room, plus seats at the reception, so I only charged $200.
    Raj and I had some good listeners at Penn State!

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    I've done this twice and will be doing it again in August. I charged $500 but they supplied the amp and speakers and paid for a hotel room and had seats/meals at the reception for both me and my wife.
    The other time was in FLA and they flew my wife and I down, supplied all of the equipment, hotel room, plus seats at the reception, so I only charged $200.
    Raj and I had some good listeners at Penn State!

I'll be bringing turntable, mixer, PA, vinyl, laptop etc.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    No less than $600 for sure.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If Its a friend or an aqaintance Ive known for a little bit, $200. If I don't know you from Adam, $600. If I don't have to bring a PA, I knock $50 off. In fact I'm doing one this weekend for some dude that tracked me down after being at one of my DJ nights. Got great news the other day, he was unaware his wife hired a jazz trio to play during the meal, so I only have to play records for 2 hours, but still get paid the same.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    For a gig like you've mentioned, I'd estimate $750-$1000, with dinner and lodging on top of that. Depending on our relationship, I might go down to $500 but I'd be firm on the meal and hotel room.

Just remember to bring the usual 80s, classic rock, hiphop, "Baby Got Back", Madonna, MJ, "Humpty Dance" and Rat Pack crowdpleasers for the the other 98% of atttendees who are NOT the bride and groom.

F16C - check your FB pm's for my typical DJ rate schedule.

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    yeah id say 1000 minimum, now that i've done a bunch we usually charge 1500-2000, it's a lot of stress so make it worth it for yourself!

soulmarcosa said:
    For a gig like you've mentioned, I'd estimate $750-$1000, with dinner and lodging on top of that. Depending on our relationship, I might go down to $500 but I'd be firm on the meal and hotel room.

Just remember to bring the usual 80s, classic rock, hiphop, "Baby Got Back", Madonna, MJ, "Humpty Dance" and Rat Pack crowdpleasers for the the other 98% of atttendees who are NOT the bride and groom.

F16C - check your FB pm's for my typical DJ rate schedule.

Got that, thanks M***!

Also, I lay down the caveat that I am not a wedding DJ by trade so I don't play YMCA, mike Jackson, humpty dance, etc. I know there are uncles and aunts that want to hear that shit, but I don't have it, so I can't play it, nor am I willing to get a copy. I'm a real dick about it, but having that kind of attitude about has never backfired on me after a dozen or so weddings.

PS my secret weapon for grandma and grandpa is the Stokes on ALON...whipped cream, which was the theme for the newlywed game..they love it and you can do no wrong after you drop that.

The_Hook_Up said:
    Also, I lay down the caveat that I am not a wedding DJ by trade so I don't play YMCA, mike Jackson, humpty dance, etc. I know there are uncles and aunts that want to hear that shit, but I don't have it, so I can't play it, nor am I willing to get a copy. I'm a real dick about it, but having that kind of attitude about has never backfired on me after a dozen or so weddings.

PS my secret weapon for grandma and grandpa is the Stokes on ALON...whipped cream, which was the theme for the newlywed game..they love it and you can do no wrong after you drop that.

Yeah, I'm willing to negotiate a certain amount of that kind of stuff, but not much. I'll be up front about it and from the discussions we've had to this point I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I've also learned you gotta start out with the crowd pleasers to get people up and dancing before mixing in the deep funk and soul. And play those immediately after the First Dance while everyone is already standing.

I've also learned you gotta start out with the crowd pleasers to get people up and dancing before mixing in the deep funk and soul. And play those immediately after the First Dance while everyone is already standing.

$1000 is totally reasonable for a stranger, and will make you feel better about playing Billy Jean.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I've DJ'd about 5 weddings per year for the past 5 or 6 years. My rate was always $600 (most weddings were for friends), though this year I've bumped it to $750 (which is still low). I've always offered a discounted rate because I don't consider myself a "professional" wedding DJ. That discount allows me the freedom to, like Hook_Up, deny any requests for the Electric Slide, etc (I don't own it and, almost without fail, most couples vehemently ask me to avoid playing it).

Though, it's funny ... I just met with the mother of the bride for my next wedding (who happens to be the event planner where the wedding is being held) and she is really pushing for the Electric Slide. But the couple asked me not to play it. Seems like a weird thing to have to bug them about, "uhhhh, how serious were you guys about not hearing Electric Slide? Cuz yer mom realllly wants to hear it."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The key move when pricing an event such as this is to ask the couple if they an entertainment budget. You'll get a pretty good idea of what they are expecting to pay from there. All in all $750-1000 sounds right.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:

This is the truth. I'm generally hired because the couple loves the raw funk 45s I typically spin, but as Soulmarcosa said, the other 98% of the crowd probably won't dance to that. When the dancefloor starts kicking, I try to focus on songs that people know the words to as a general rule. While it may seem corny, it will get people to stay on the dancefloor. I usually aim at pleasing the older folks first and then work towards the younger folks as the night goes on. So I'll start off with Motown bangers and 50s rockers (and funk 45s!), but I never forget to slip in some slow ones for grandma and grandpa in that first hour (James Brown's "Try Me" is a favorite). Getting the seniors onto the dancefloor is always an important goal for me. Then it's on to the 80s, disco, boogie, wedding friendly hip hop, etc for the middle aged to younger crowd.

You'll have a blast. In the end, weddings are just fantastic parties.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if you are providing a sound system and equipment, charging less than $2k is selling yourself short.

definitely emphasize that the bride and groom get on the same page, musically, as their families and friends. The parents are generally paying for everything so keeping them happy will make your job easier. there's also the brides sisters which are typically the biggest pains in the ass. i would start a little email group with the bride, groom, families, and their close friends to make sure everyone knows what their getting into. it will save you a lot of frustration from drunk guests.

• Options
    As a beginner I charge expenses and $15 a live hour.

I know this is insanely low but I'm trying to earn it.

I make a good reputation for us DJ's, have fun, and get to go places I otherwise wouldn't get to go to.

For example, this weekend in Berkeley ($25 in gas there and back) I am gonna take two hundred records to trade to the stores, get a meal, start another network, and most importantly - please the hostess and host.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I cannot afford a DJ at my upcoming wedding. The prices listed on this page echo this fact.

I am discovering that It is nearly impossible to publicly declare your eternal love for a woman in the United States without spending at least 8 grand in the process.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:
    As a beginner I charge expenses and $15 a live hour.

I know this is insanely low but I'm trying to earn it.

I make a good reputation for us DJ's, have fun, and get to go places I otherwise wouldn't get to go to.

For example, this weekend in Berkeley ($25 in gas there and back) I am gonna take two hundred records to trade to the stores, get a meal, start another network, and most importantly - please the hostess and host.

Yes, insanely low and, if you are doing a good job, you are selling yourself soooo short. Just think --- asshole wedding "djs" that are terrible and no one really likes but nearly everyone thinks they are the only option charge around $2000. If you are doing it right, presumably the bride and groom and everyone else is way happier with the service you provide...$15 an hour is laughable.

DJing in a club or even smallish bar pays way more than that and weddings are infinitely more work and stress for the DJ.

c'mon son!

• Options
    I don't blame DJ's for charging more for whatever experience, but; I feel great after a job well done.

Plus, nobody wants to set the fans back too much.

luck said:
    I cannot afford a DJ at my upcoming wedding. The prices listed on this page echo this fact.

I am discovering that It is nearly impossible to publicly declare your eternal love for a woman in the United States without spending at least 8 grand in the process.

I personally only charge my standard rate for people that have a standard wedding budget. I DJ'd a wedding for a tattoo artist friend of mine in exchange for a tattoo (which admittedly, would cost me around $500 had I paid him for it). Do you have a grip of records you could offer a DJ as a trade?

luck said:

I recently got married, we had a small wedding (35-40 guests) and we only spent 1500-2000 and most of that was food and booze. We didnt have a DJ because the only person I would have trusted was my DJ partner and I didnt want to ask him to work, I wanted him to just kick back, eat, drink and be merry. As a DJ, who DJs weddings, it seems hypocritical to say this, and I can't believe I am saying it, but just get a sound system and hook some itunes up to it, pick out 4 hours of music and hit shuffle on it. I dont think anyone really cares except for the drunk uncle that wants to hear "twist and shout" or some shit and really who cares about that?

• Options
    Awww, come on man...thats like comparing what you do to the iTunes shuffler. What a rip, dude. That's like comparing gourmet chefs to microwaves. What unsoundly advice, man. Talk about selling yourself and your partner sooo short. (it's okay, I'm just being humorous now) You might as well put Grace Jones - "the seeker gets captured by the game" on repeat.

depends on what kind of wedding it is. Mine was a house filled with people eating, drinking and shooting the shit. But if you plan on having 100-200 people, and a bumpin dancefloor, then yeah hire someone. But a wedding that size is topping 10,000-20,000 bucks, so if that is your budget then yeah you have the resources to hire someone. But if you dont have that kind of loot and you still want good music, then you will have to pick the songs yourself and let technology play them for you. Whats the other solution? Find someone who will do it for $50 and hope they have good taste and good records? Aint gonna happen.

• Options
    Record a tape.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    NorthernDealer10 said:
    Record a tape.

?

An iPod playlist will do the job even better.