Which musician's life would you like to see a movie made out of?

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
or any other person's life.

there are so many, that I just can think of one right now.

There's also a movie coming out portraying the life of Cage...played by Shia la beouf
dude had a crazy life, gotta respect that dude for surviving all that.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.6037/title.shia-labeouf-plays-cage-in-film

btw: is there a biographical movie of James Brown?

Comments

• JamalJamal 410 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phil morris jr as marvin gaye

start with harvey fuqua as mentor up to death

i dont know who would play the teenage Jan.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    tupac.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Nina Simone - Mary J Blige

Fela - Will Smith

GG Allin - Tom Hanks

Charles Mingus - Charles Dutton

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    the troutman brothers! yeah id like to see that one..
    dont know who would play roger though

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Skunk Baxter

mrmatthew said:

Fela - Will Smith

please no.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Yellowman

hendrix, bob marley, r kelly

mrmatthew said:

i dont like that casting choice.

mary doesnt have the acting chops to pull it off and doesnt look like her one bit.

if you wanted a "high"profile r&b singer to portray nina i would opt for a heather hadley or an unknown/up and coming sister to rock the role. or rachell farell who doesnt act.

Mary has been rumoured to do Billie Holliday which is closer to her story and steez imo.

rootlesscosmo said:
    mrmatthew said:

Fela - Will Smith

please no.

all the pleases and thank yous in the world wont stop it from happening.
    He is a producer on the stage production.

rootlesscosmo said:
    hendrix, bob marley, r kelly

that jimi movie wasnt that bad. the brother did a good job even if he looks nuthin like jimi.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    mrmatthew said:

Fela - Will Smith

please no.

mrmatthew said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    mrmatthew said:

Fela - Will Smith

please no.

i think he smart enuff to put up the money and let someone else fill the role.
    unless you have rumours of him playing fela

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    mrmatthew said:

i dont like that casting choice.

mary doesnt have the acting chops to pull it off and doesnt look like her one bit.

if you wanted a "high"profile r&b singer to portray nina i would opt for a heather hadley or an unknown/up and coming sister to rock the role. or rachell farell who doesnt act.

Mary has been rumoured to do Billie Holliday which is closer to her story and steez imo.

I think Almayvonne would be perfect for the role of Nina Simone
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0951253/

or Tyra Ferrel

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    R. Kelly

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm a huge fan of music documentaries and even enjoy watching those on bands or artists that I don't know or care much about. But I've never liked a single acted movie about a musician, singer or band. The whole concept is flawed, I don't think it could ever be done right and I can't even find a reason why it should.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Frank said:
    I'm a huge fan of music documentaries and even enjoy watching those on bands or artists that I don't know or care much about. But I've never liked a single acted movie about a musician, singer or band. The whole concept is flawed, I don't think it could ever be done right and I can't even find a reason why it should.

True, but movies can do certain things a documentary cant.. I do think it should be made by a person really dedicated in to really reflecting the life (best would be when worked together with the person the movie is made of) and character of that person.
    Dont think Hollywood here.. altough I really loved the movie "Ray".

A movie can fill in , and paint a certain vibe and picture a documentary can't ..in my opinion.
    A documentary is filled with interviews and loose pictures and some videofootage from archives although it is probably more factual but also is subjective.

think: photograph vs painting

batmon said:
    mrmatthew said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    mrmatthew said:

Fela - Will Smith

please no.

i think he smart enuff to put up the money and let someone else fill the role.
    unless you have rumours of him playing fela

I dont know where i got it in my head that he (big willie/Fela) was going to do that role, but for some reason ive just always associated him with it.

As for the Nina / MJB thing, that is a well documented truth/rumor

http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/05/14/nina-simone-biopic-moves-forward-with-mary-j-blige/

blame mr moviefone!

Jamal said:
    Frank said:

True, but movies can do certain things a documentary cant.. I do think it should be made by a person really dedicated in to really reflecting the life (best would be when worked together with the person the movie is made of) and character of that person.
    Dont think Hollywood here.. altough I really loved the movie "Ray".

A movie can fill in , and paint a certain vibe and picture a documentary can't ..in my opinion.
    A documentary is filled with interviews and loose pictures and some videofootage from archives although it is probably more factual but also is subjective.

think: photograph vs painting

can u list a handfull of successful movies?

i liked the jacksons joint

that temptations movie is good.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:

can u list a handfull of successful movies?

i liked the jacksons joint

Successful or Good?

I still like the Gary Busey/Buddy Holly flick....he was made for that role the way Billy Bob Thornton was born to play Slingblade.

rootlesscosmo said:

yes

and yeah Rock i meant successful in the storytelling/artistic way not ticket sales.

as much as id like to see certain musicians stories told im skeptical when in turns out like the doors flick.

james brown has enuff public shit where you can do his story for the movie fan,but his overall story is way too complex and layered to compress into a 2 hour oscar award format.

how many elvis movies are there?

im just on the fence with the idea.

id like jamal to explain how a movie which dramatizes the truth provides a clearer perspective vs a documentary.

• Options
    I could see a Roky Erickson movie having some merit.

It would be a nice Joaquin Phoenix comeback vehicle.

"Walk The Line" was okay, and "The Runaways" worked for me.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

my recollection is that this one is extra awful:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think you could make a good Johnny & Dorsey Burnette movie. nice indie flick about the true kings of rockabilly who both died young.

also wish that Bobby Fuller "murder mystery" movie would finally get made. a cool flick portraying mid-60's Sunset Strip culture would be awesome, whether it focused on Fuller or not.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I think MF Grimm's life would make a great movie.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    R Kelly isn't even old, never mind dead. The idea of a film about the artist's life only works for me if they have popped dey clog.

Miles w. Don Cheadle was supposed to be happening
    Chet Baker
    Hendrix
    Marley (surely one of his kids could play him)
    Jaco
    Gregory Isaacs
    Cobain

Also cued-up: Gil Scott-Heron, Amy Winehouse

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

yes

and yeah Rock i meant successful in the storytelling/artistic way not ticket sales.

as much as id like to see certain musicians stories told im skeptical when in turns out like the doors flick.

james brown has enuff public shit where you can do his story for the movie fan,but his overall story is way too complex and layered to compress into a 2 hour oscar award format.

how many elvis movies are there?

im just on the fence with the idea.

id like jamal to explain how a movie which dramatizes the truth provides a clearer perspective vs a documentary.

I didnt say a clearer perspective. I said another perspective. I already said why and how.

Just think of biographical movies, the only difference will be the music.

And any life, isnt possible to fit in hours, not in a movie, and not in a documentary. It's a side and perspective you chosse to work from I guess.
    A book wont even cover everything.

Im skeptical aswell, it all depends on the outcome..lot a risk involved, cause it depicts the life of a human being..fictional is the makers, non is ours..

@ SLurg
    MF GRimm... Word!! He has an autobiographical comic book that is crazy!