Reissue of ROB

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone heard the new reissue of ROB by Analog Africa?
I heard they deleted a track from the original lp? WTF?
Why fuk with that?
I think Analog Africa is a member on this site.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't think Samy posts here, at least I've never noticed it.

According to his website, he had thought another label had licensed that cut and didn't want to include it if it was already out. A curious decision in my book (as is the one not to use the OG cover art), but everyone's different.

It turns out he was mistaken and that song had not been issued so he had to re-do the release to include it. So now, according to the AA site, it will have the original tracks but a different cover.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Ohh..

I wished he was using the original cover, it really gives the senses that the album is something magical and hard to
    fuk with.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Sucks about the cover...I found that sleeve with an mfsb record in it years ago. I framed it and it hung in our living room for years (my wife particularly liked it...so aloof she would say). I had always wondered what the album sounded like (I have since acquired the mpfrees and it is every bit as badass as I imagined). But, I had the opportunity to trade the sleeve for some killer records so I traded it off. I then was told it would soon be reissued and my wife was happy as we could again have the sleeve hanging on the wall. She will be disappointed about this news.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Haha...good story

It's amazing to me how consistently incredible African cover art from this time is. Record after record, often dashed off using the cheapest and quickest methods possible, somehow come up again and again with such beautiful, mind-blowing images.

I guess AA is trying to get their own look, but they can do that with their comps. I don't know how you can pass this up:

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    Is

the same record as

?

No, that's his 2nd Lp.

thanks, I didn't know he had two albums.

looks like both pictures are from the same photo shoot.

Mongo_Slade said:
    thanks, I didn't know he had two albums.

looks like both pictures are from the same photo shoot.

I think he has three altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me if the photo is from the same shoot, the albums are only two numbers apart in the catalog. From the little I've heard, this is also a great record, though not as good as Funky Rob Way.

It's good. The title track (which was comped years ago on Soundway's Ghana Soundz) is far and away my favorite but there are definitely other strong cuts.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Yeah he has three albums, but it's those first two that are pure fire.

African cover art definitely had the game on lock:

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    always loved that marijata cover. too bad i can only afford about a 4 inch square of that record.

• I agree that it's a shame not to use the OG tracklisting and cover art for these kind of projects. I always thought that "Make it Fast..." was his first album...

Dress

• subsub 311 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    I agree that it's a shame not to use the OG tracklisting and cover art for these kind of projects. I always thought that "Make it Fast..." was his first album...

Dress

i also don't get why he puts his fucking stamp on all the record sleeves and labels he sells on ebay? sometimes he doesn't even put the sticker on the back but on the front ruining the often great cover art work.

• subsub 311 Posts
    sub said:
    dreskieboogie said:
    I agree that it's a shame not to use the OG tracklisting and cover art for these kind of projects. I always thought that "Make it Fast..." was his first album...

Dress

i also don't get why he puts his fucking stamp on all the record sleeves and labels he sells on ebay? sometimes he doesn't even put the sticker on the back but on the front ruining the often great cover art work.

perfect example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEMAYEHU-ESHETE-AFRO-ETHIO-70s-DEAD-STOCK-LISTEN-/400219434394?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5d2eefed9a

i mean wtf. the cover would be great otherwise. especially as analog africa seems to be about preserving the old and then he ruins the few original vinyls that are in a good condition like that.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    davesrecords said:
    always loved that marijata cover. too bad i can only afford about a 4 inch square of that record.

If you're talking about the blue Marijata, you can already buy all 12 inches square for a reasonable price from every well sorted retailer with original artwork on front and back cover.

Their second LP with the orange cover will hit stores in a few weeks.

Big shame about the Rob reissue... just as inexplicable as putting rubber stamps on mega raers, how can you not use what is one of the most iconic album covers of the Ghanaian funk catalog? That's just bad judgment, bad taste and in the end most likely bad for business.

On one of my trips back to Ghana in January of 2010 I had Rob call my phone after seeing one of my "records wanted" adverts in a local newspaper. He asked me if I would want to sign his two records. I told him I had heard that Analog Africa had already signed it but Rob denied having made a contract with anybody... I almost went for it but then I already had signed so many other great releases that I passed. Of course some of these guys have no scruples licensing the same record to two different companies at the same time. In retrospect, I probably should have gone for it. Live and learn.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Frank said:
    davesrecords said:

If you're talking about the blue Marijata, you can already buy all 12 inches square for a reasonable price from every well sorted retailer with original artwork on front and back cover.

Their second LP with the orange cover will hit stores in a few weeks.

Big shame about the Rob reissue... just as inexplicable as putting rubber stamps on mega raers, how can you not use what is one of the most iconic album covers of the Ghanaian funk catalog? That's just bad judgment, bad taste and in the end most likely bad for business.

On one of my trips back to Ghana in January of 2010 I had Rob call my phone after seeing one of my "records wanted" adverts in a local newspaper. He asked me if I would want to sign his two records. I told him I had heard that Analog Africa had already signed it but Rob denied having made a contract with anybody... I almost went for it but then I already had signed so many other great releases that I passed. Of course some of these guys have no scruples licensing the same record to two different companies at the same time. In retrospect, I probably should have gone for it. Live and learn.

You should get some 11" x 17" prints of the original cover signed by ROB.

You got a pic or site for that orange cover you talking about? is that a voodoo/academy release?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The orange Marijata is to the left of the blue one pictured above in Maru's post.
    Both are Academy releases curated by yours truly.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    sub said:
    sub said:
    dreskieboogie said:

Dress

perfect example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEMAYEHU-ESHETE-AFRO-ETHIO-70s-DEAD-STOCK-LISTEN-/400219434394?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item5d2eefed9a

i mean wtf. the cover would be great otherwise. especially as analog africa seems to be about preserving the old and then he ruins the few original vinyls that are in a good condition like that.

Never noticed that before. What a complete chump!

musica said:
    sub said:
    sub said:
    dreskieboogie said:

Dress

perfect example:

Never noticed that before. What a complete chump!

wow. really? dude must have some sort of "discovery=creation" complex. very chumpish.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

wow. really? dude must have some sort of "discovery=creation" complex. very chumpish.

Saying. My opinion of dude just dropped substantially.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Schitt was supposed to drop June 7th? Any word?

Burns said:
    Schitt was supposed to drop June 7th? Any word?

They're here, we've got them in stock.

The cover is even uglier in person (why is there a die cut hole on the back cover? Why does he take credit for 'compiling' an already released album?), but there's no denying that it's a great record.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Horseleech said:

a die cut hole on the back cover
    he take credit for 'compiling' an already released album

Cringe

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Frank said:
    The orange Marijata is to the left of the blue one pictured above in Maru's post.

Is the orange 'introducing Marijata' to be released or already OOP? Couldn't find info on it on academyannex...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    leon said:
    Frank said:

Is the orange 'introducing Marijata' to be released or already OOP? Couldn't find info on it on academyannex...

The second Marijata LP will be out soon, vinyl is just about to be pressed.

We decided to go with this recent trend:

And have changed the poorly designed original cover

For something much better looking:

We originally wanted to use a picture of label owner Mike but he's so good looking that the cardboard refused to absorb the ink.

Frank said:
    leon said:
    Frank said:

The second Marijata LP will be out soon, vinyl is just about to be pressed.

We decided to go with this recent trend:

And have changed the poorly designed original cover

For something much better looking:

We originally wanted to use a picture of label owner Mike but he's so good looking that the cardboard refused to absorb the ink.

LOL

Man, that Rob reissue is fucking awful looking. Pathetic how Analog Africa logo bs is as big (if not possibly bigger) than the artist and album title. Let me guess, this analog africa guy is around 5'4" as well and drives a bugatti.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    in all honesty, the Marijata looks VERY similar in design to the ROB cover....

same tone color wise, and poor choice of fonts.....

REALLY!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

REALLY!

nah man, very different. way better than the original cover art. in fact i think it might be cool to leave out the name of the original band completly. i mean, marijata, please?

/thebreaks

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

REALLY!