Do people even buy from Discogs?

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I never see any movement in the supply..

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Jamal said:
    I never see any movement in the supply..

I buy from there, probably more now than I do from the bay or musicstack and gemm.

I think the rate of stock turnover is a lot slower than ebay from a selling point of view though, just due to the nature of the site.

I also think a lot of people are still unaware of Discogs as anything more than a place for reference purposes.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    also lots o times cheaper than Ebay. the difference with ebay is when you buy multiple items and can combine shipping, that shit is kinda hard with discogs.. some have like two dope records for a good price and the rest is shit.
    i like discogs though.but havent bought or sold much from there.

word@ due to nature of the site.. but it seems very very slow though.

• yes. i buy from there on the regular. as far as grading and shipping/service go, i've had nothing but great experiences.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i buy from there for sure.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jamal said:

I've bought a few things from there. Never had a problem, but I don't check it often as it seems to be really light on older stuff. Also, I'm loving that image for some reason.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    It's pretty irritating from a sales stand point. I've had stuff sit and sit on discogs for months, and then put it on ebay and see it go for MORE than I was asking for (sometimes, usually it's the other way around).

The good thing about discogs is that it costs a fraction of the price to sell there, and it's really really easy. They just need better visibility.

If someone created a program that would allow you to list on musicstack, gemm and discogs via one entry -- boy, that would rule.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    In the early days Discogs didn't have a sales feature and I think some people are still catching on.

I use it to sell, and it's great for the right items, 12"s in particular. If you have quantity of a sweated 12", Discogs is the way to go. I've posted things like this and had sales within an hour or two.

If you're selling a title that other people have up, it can turn into a nickle and dime game that gets really annoying. Post something that other people have up for more and watch one of them undercut you and hour later.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    What's the deal? If you list something that people have on their "wants" list, do they get an email telling them that your copy has just been listed?

If so, that's really cool (from both a buying and selling standpoint).

• musica said:
    What's the deal? If you list something that people have on their "wants" list, do they get an email telling them that your copy has just been listed?

If so, that's really cool (from both a buying and selling standpoint).

Yes, Discogs send out daily emails to you saying what's new for sale on your want list. However, there is an option to turn this off, and most people do i'm guessing.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    My local record store puts any interesting stock he gets right on to Discogs and its its rare/in demand it's gone in an hour or two.
    So I never get any bargains from there anymore but the record shop stays in business which is good news.
    Common records will sit around forever even if sold for pennies.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    What are your shipping prices, I always go for the lowest shipping when ordering from discogs.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    Very often....sometimes I get much better prices and better selection.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i buy & sell a little bit. it's good if you have stock of something, just dump it on discogs for cheap & wait for it to run out.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I have about 300 things listed at any given time and I sell 3-5 a week. It's a nice steady trickle of record money, as opposed to the waterfall of Ebay. However, I have things that have sat on there from months and possibly years. Since i have room in the discogs boxes I'd rather let them sit up there at $8 than sell them to a record store for 50 cents.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    aha, ok good to read that discogs is certainly movin...(even if) at a steady (bit slow)pace .

• dopeshitdopeshit 134 Posts
    i basically make a living mostly from discogs (and a little bit on ebay)

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    i do.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    By all rights Discogs should have rendered GEMM completely obsolete a long time ago. Way easier to buy and sell on there. And not completely overrun (yet) with ARCHDDs and that sort of ilk.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    double poast

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    button said:
    By all rights Discogs should have rendered GEMM completely obsolete a long time ago. Way easier to buy and sell on there. And not completely overrun (yet) with ARCHDDs and that sort of ilk.

Yeah, but to elaborate on my previous post, you aren't going to be finding obscure French psych 7"s from 1971 on Discogs (unless the place has changed since I last checked). I know for a fact that a rather famous record around these parts???the actual copy in question???was acquired through GEMM by one Strutter at a relatively reasonable rate before eventually being passed to another Strutter, also for a fairly reasonable rate that was much closer to its actual market value. I will blow up no spots, although the parties in question may feel free to do so if they choose.

Point being, you aren't finding $1000 grails listed on Discogs, especially for reasonable prices (again, unless the place has changed since I last checked).

Also, to clarify, the record in question was not an obscure French psych 7". That was just an example.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I can't speak as a buyer but I do sell on discogs and I'll tell you this.

eBay is good if you have a lot of records in a similar genre and wanna do an auction.

But when you're finding like a good piece every few days and a lot of cool but clean cheap pieces it's great.

I throw a few pieces up every day. I sell at a reasonable price and people usually grab a few things in a shot.

It's cool for extra cash. Ill make a sale every day whether it's $15 or $200. so at the end of the week there's some good change.

The other good thing is if you find a rarer piece you can look it up and see people are out of their minds. Almost like they're showing it off and don't wanna sell it. That's when I step in with an actual fair price even if I wouldn't pay that much and it seems cheap in comparison

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    button said:

Yeah, it's funny to me that Gemm hasn't started taking a leaf out of discogs book and trying to ake its format easier. I buy and sell on discogs pretty regularly. So easy to list stuff unless there's no entry for it yet. Oh and I have found soem massive bargains on dicogs too. I think because it's still in its infancy, you can still find bargains more easily on there. 20 Quid OG Skull Snaps is the one that stands out.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Oh and I have found soem massive bargains on dicogs too. I think because it's still in its infancy, you can still find bargains more easily on there. 20 Quid OG Skull Snaps is the one that stands out.
    I've had the same experience (Kool & TG S/T for $10 comes to mind). Ironically the problem comes with how detailed the entries are -- often times REs are listed for sale under the entry for the OG (probably before someone did the entry for the RE). Most sellers say "this is a reissue" but I've had a seller be pretty ambiguous.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah... sometimes you gotta ask Qs!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Ive been buying from there with no problems recently. Prices are usually decent, plus sometimes its nicer to just buy rather than having to bid. And I have a feeling it has fewer people on there than ebay? - less crowded, which is always good for a record store.

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    discogs is where it's at.

I Sell my heat at record shows so it is a nice option to keep records in play between shows.

Grateful, T

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    MiddleDean said:
    discogs is where it's at.

I Sell my heat at record shows so it is a nice option to keep records in play between shows.

Grateful, T

Grateful T, welcome to posting, time to stop lurking.

Dan

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    If you sell electronica or Hip-hop records you can easily make a living off discogs. For other genres it may be different but I make thousands a year only through DISCOGS.