TV Strut (what u watching related)

Comments

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Okem said:
    My main issue with Breaking Bad is that there isn't a single likeable character in the whole show.

Badger! But in general, yes, the characters are not likable, but they're not psychopathic (with the exception of Tuco Salamanca), just flawed and human.

Breaking Bad is my favorite show the last two years running in a field of tough competition. If you can stand icky stuff, it's well worth the time.

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY TIO!!!!

TORTUGA

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I only saw the first ep of Workaholics but it was amusing and i laughed out loud a couple times.

i like the Confession on Hulu with Keifer Sutherland. little webisodes but an interesting enough story to keep me watching for 7min.

Community is great. i really enjoy the characters and i laugh continuously throughout each ep.

Still watch the Event. while some of the main characters are annoying i want to follow through to the end to see what happens. its about aliens and stuff coming to earth so thats been fun.

Breaking in is ehhh... but its 22min and if im not looking at times its okay. its not like you miss much. the characters are bugging me though so i dont think ill be watching much longer.

Break out kings was cool at first but im a little bored with it now. I still put it on but i dont watch as close as i did in the first episodes. I will say its quite graphic and intense during the opening of the show during the "Break out" so that keeps me tuned in.

I really like the Chicago Code. Probably my most favorite at the moment. The stories are good and i like the characters. I have no idea if they are keeping this show but i hope so.

Still watching Stargate Univ. Its been draggin lately but the last few eps are okay. I just want to finish out the series. The first season was good though and thats what kept me through til now.

Still watch Chuck but im kinda bored with that too. Theres nothing new going on. No good Buy More stories which was always the funny part of the show to me.

Love 30 Rock still. Great writing. Laugh out loud funny throughout for me.

i like American Pickers because its entertaining still to me. Storage wars has been kinda annoying because of Dave which makes me not want to watch it. I havent watched any of the other type of shows like these really maybe an ep here or there but not more than 1.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Okem said:

Game of Thrones

I wonder if George R.R. Martin had Shakira in mind when he created the Daenerys character

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    debar said:

Parks & Recreation
    Shameless
    Community

How I Met Your Mother

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    :latte: related
    but i recently managed to get layed up for a while with pneumonia so a friend grabbed me the 3 seasons of Deadwood which I am really into, great script, acting, character development and nice scenery

and co sign on the breaking bad, I watched the first 3 seasons of that a while back, great show, but not a single likeable character, except for maybe Hank (sure he is a bot of a douche, but he means well)

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    original poster hated on 'office clones' but i really like parks n rec. ron swanson and andy are my 2 favorite comedic characters on tv right now. what ive been watching is pretty much in line with this thread. i watched a few eps of The Killing but havent cracked open the DVR for the rest yet. i thought sons of anarchy was pretty good. season 2 was the best, and i actually really disliked how they drug the baby/ireland story out for all of season 3, the last episode was badass though. if you dudes havent read the books Game of Thrones are based on your gonna have your shit blown a bunch of times.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    leftright said:
    can't hate on a show that uses the Skinny Boys for their intro

My new favorite show at the moment.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    leftright said:
    can't hate on a show that uses the Skinny Boys for their intro

My new favorite show at the moment.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up on Workaholics watched 2 episodes and really like it

My favorite tv shows are

Always sunny in Philadelphia
    Parks and Rec
    Curb your Enthusiasm
    30 Rock
    US Shameless
    Bored to death
    united states tara (watch with wifey)

For UK comedy
    How not to live your life

Oz was an intense show i remember watching it when i lived in Japan . Essential viewing for anyone about to do some time. How to make shanks put crushed glass in food etc. Pretty intense violence

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Frank, I couldn't disagree with you more about the last season of Sons of Anarchy. I didn't think they could pull off the kidnapping of the baby, especially when it was revealed that they had to go to Ireland, but I think they did a great job and kept on surprising me with plot twists. The very end was bad ass as well.

I've probably seen too many 70s biker flicks. This Jax character annoyed the shit out of me... bikers with white sneakers, maybe that's the reality in Cali these days but what an eyesore. And then all this endless whining about the crankbaby. I don't know, it just really didn't do much for me. But there's less and less shit out there I haven't seen yet, maybe some long, grey winter weekend I might give it another go...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the_dL said:
    :latte: related
    but i recently managed to get layed up for a while with pneumonia so a friend grabbed me the 3 seasons of Deadwood which I am really into, great script, acting, character development and nice scenery

and co sign on the breaking bad, I watched the first 3 seasons of that a while back, great show, but not a single likeable character, except for maybe Hank (sure he is a bot of a douche, but he means well)

It was fucking heartbreaking when they discontinued Deadwood.

I re-watched some of the episodes with director's commentary which I can highly recommend. Very entertaining, incredible insight and it also becomes obvious just how cool the guys are who put this together. A pure work of genius.

There were plans to wrap up the plot in two long movies but they eventually gave up on that, too. I thought about making a pilrimage to the rotting set, drink a bottle of bourbon and swear a lot.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Frank said:

I re-watched some of the episode with director's commentary which I can highly recommend. Very entertaining, incredible insight and it also becomes obvious just how cool the guys are who put this together. A work of genius.

There were plans to wrap up the plot in two long movies but they eventually gave up on that, too. I thought about making a pilrimage to the rotting set, drink a bottle of bourbon and swear a lot.

If we ever meet in person, you are welcome to scream at me "SAN FRANCISCO COCKSUCKER!!", I'll know what you mean.

I loved Deadwood while it was on, but only upon repeated viewings do I appreciate its staggering genius. It's probably one of the most quotable TV shows of all time.

"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice."

WFMU's Seven Minutes in Deadwood

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Frank said:

I re-watched some of the episode with director's commentary which I can highly recommend. Very entertaining, incredible insight and it also becomes obvious just how cool the guys are who put this together. A work of genius.

If we ever meet in person, you are welcome to scream at me "SAN FRANCISCO COCKSUCKER!!", I'll know what you mean.

I loved Deadwood while it was on, but only upon repeated viewings do I appreciate its staggering genius. It's probably one of the most quotable TV shows of all time.

"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice."

WFMU's Seven Minutes in Deadwood

I pulled out Deadwood right after the lady had watched The Wire for the first time. She didn't get into it, which stunned and disappointed me. I mean, I actually had serious questions about her taste as a result. We gave it another go recently, though, and she absolutely loved it. I guess the moral of this story is, don't try to introduce a new show to someone directly after watching The Wire. It's not fair to the other show.

I've watched the whole series a good 4, maybe 5 times. I'm sure I'll revisit it again.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yep i have to pause and rewind to appreciate each brilliantly written phrase
    with the law moving in and society's bare bones getting increasingly defined it would have been a fascinating series. HBO execs deserve to visit the Wu's pigs for that one.
    Even the movie would have been amazing (different eras)
    is there absolutely no hope of this...?
    also is justified on the same level or at least a pleasant watch?

BTW if you guys like samurai...cub and lone wolf is essential and the condensed boxset i bought is a great introduction. I just got Zatoichi the blind swordsman...will report back!

pcmr said:

is there absolutely no hope of this...?

David Milch seems to think there's still a chance, although it sounds like it would be not on HBO and nobody's actually working on it.

Not that there hasn't been talk of a big-screen coda for his masterpiece of Shakespearean eloquence (give or take a "cocksucker") since it was cancelled in 2008. "I don't know that the last word has been said on the subject," Milch told us this week during a break from his new HBO series, Luck (more on that later). "I still nourish the hope that we're going to get to do a little more work in that area."

Hindsight is 20/20. The HBO executives could not have known that The Sopranos ratings were a total anomaly. I think Deadwood was their second highest rated program at the time that it was canceled. But it was also expensive to produce and maybe somebody associated with the show pissed off the execs or the stars were being sticky about wages. One of the biggest nay-sayers for the return of Deadwood is Ian McShane, who's said that Deadwood is dead. Deadwood made him a big star, so he probably doesn't care if the show continues in any form unless he's paid big-time. :balla:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They um'd and ah'd about it for ages, last thing I heard was that it had reach a pretty final no, and the set was torn down.

Okem said:
    They um'd and ah'd about it for ages, last thing I heard was that it had reach a pretty final no, and the set was torn down.

Yeah, the HBO set is gone. Who knows, in this Hollywood climate of endless re-boots and re-makes and sequels that somebody won't green-light a studio film based upon the franchise. I am not holding my breath, sounds like Milch isn't either but he's not burning bridges.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Do TCM or the complete Twilight Zone DVD set count? What ever happened to Eastbound and Down? I don't get HBO..

Electrode said:
    Do TCM or the complete Twilight Zone DVD set count? What ever happened to Eastbound and Down? I don't get HBO..

Eastbound and Down is going to get a third and final season on HBO. Apparently they're in the process of writing it now, no word on when they might actually film it or when it would run. I wouldn't anticipate seeing it anytime soon, my guess would be fall 2011 at the earliest. It's a great show, one of the few shows on television where it's fairly clear that the creators are able to do almost anything they want, including making the main character utterly unlikable. Off the top of my head, I'd say probably Eastbound and Down, Louie CK's show, and Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! seem to be the best examples of that freedom.

I think TCM and Twilight Zone DVDs count as quality TV watching.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I really like the Chicago Code. Probably my most favorite at the moment. The stories are good and i like the characters. I have no idea if they are keeping this show but i hope so.
    Its been cancelled.

Started watching game of thrones but hasnt really convinced me yet - theres a little too much courtly love and chivalry thrown into the mix and not enough beheading and lines delivered in all caps going on thus far imo.

Just watched the first three episodes of Game of Thrones this weekend (number four is slated for tonight) and I'm loving it so far. Also, if you dudes haven't seen The Life & Times of TIm, get thee to thy Netflix queue immediately. Absolutely hilarious.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

I pulled out Dead Wood right after the lady had watched The Wire
    :oh_my:

Life & Times of Tim: HELL YES. Very funny show.

Louis on FX: I think on WTFPod Louis pretty much says he signed a contract for less money with FX to be given the freedom to do the show however he wants. He writes, directs, and edits the show himself. Also Louis is known for hitting up the occasional internet board or blog to comment about his stuff so maybe if we keep talking about him enough.... :hayek:

Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I pulled out Dead Wood right after the lady had watched The Wire
    :oh_my:

Life & Times of Tim: HELL YES. Very funny show.

Every word out of the prostitute's mouth has me in stitches.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Adventure Time is blowing my mind right now (along with the second season of Superjail!). Mathematical!!!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah and I forgot that Modern Family is so fucking funny if ONLY for the absolutely BRILLIANT and PERENNIALLY CRIMINALLY UNDERRATED Ed O'Neill, as well as Eric Stonestreet (whom I only just discovered is actually not gay.)

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    cookbook said:
    Adventure Time is blowing my mind right now (along with the second season of Superjail!). Mathematical!!!!!!!

Oh man...I forgot about this.
    Adventure Time and Regular Show are killing it. Awesome weird cartoons reminiscent of the original run of Ren & Stimpy. My son and I both enjoy this show.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    "Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice."
    dollar_bin said:
    dollar_bin said:

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im really not a fan of cable tv shows (except philly!). especially the pay cable tv shows. theres something about the restrictions of network tv that makes for more subversive and clever material.

the best example would be the howard stern radio show. i loved it on regular ass radio. but it loses something in satellite radio cuz there are no restrictions. when i look at shows like boardwalk empire with their bloated budgets and a-list talent, there is a certain level of expectation that is always met. its never much of a surprise.

that said best thing on network tv right now is community.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    full rundown

things airing currently:
    community, parks and rec, the killing, modern family, sports show w/norm, daily show, treme, 30 rock, simpsons (STILL I KNOW?!?!)

things not in season but will watch whenever they come back:
    top chef, archer, mad men, breaking bad, curb, louie, always sunny, eastbound and down, futurama, walking dead

things i didnt watch the first time through and am gonna watch at some point:
    deadwood, generation kill, sons of anarchy, in treatment, doctor who, lost, friday night lights, game of thrones, justified, dexter, the league.