Organizing the collection

soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
The collection is reaching the point where strictly alphabetical or strictly by genre and then alphabetized by genre isn't making sense for me like it used to. Where to put Donald Byrd for example? In the Jazz section or funk/fusion? and how about Herbie? Or funky foreign language stuff from overseas?
Can anyone offer up any pointers or tell what works for you well? Hopefully someone who actually listens to their records - a lot - and not just collects them for aesthetic or future profit, because I think the way a person interacts with their collection will have an impact on what methods will work. THanx in advance!

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    No specifics, just organize it in a way that reflects how you think of the music - don't worry if it's completely logical or not.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You can do by bpm from slowest to fastest.

Personally I file my records alphabetically by the artist who sampled it from Aaliyah to Xzibit.

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    You can do by bpm from slowest to fastest.

Personally I file my records alphabetically by the artist who sampled it from Aaliyah to Xzibit.

laserwolf that's interesting I've never heard of that before. Do you put the sampling song with the sampled?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    He's writing in jest.

I have everything alphabetized by artist in one section, Hip Hop in another, and my old Punk, metal, Ska records in another. I've been consolidating and clearing out the collection lately, and I'm feeling like just putting everything together.

Horseleech said:
    No specifics, just organize it in a way that reflects how you think of the music - don't worry if it's completely logical or not.

Ultimately it will end up reflecting the way I think of the music at any one time, but I think that may be something that changes as the collection changes, which is why I'm interested in hearing about what others are doing. ya feel me? I'm diggin how you go freestyle with it though

soundsreal said:
    Horseleech said:

Ultimately it will end up reflecting the way I think of the music at any one time, but I think that may be something that changes as the collection changes, which is why I'm interested in hearing about what others are doing. ya feel me? I'm diggin how you go freestyle with it though

I hear you.

I was actually going to describe my 'system', but then I realized that it's way too complicated and probably wouldn't make sense (or be useful) to anyone but me, so I bailed.

Collecting stuff from around the world isn't helping things any.

Horseleech said:
    soundsreal said:
    Horseleech said:

I hear you.

I was actually going to describe my 'system', but then I realized that it's way too complicated and probably wouldn't make sense (or be useful) to anyone but me, so I bailed.

Collecting stuff from around the world isn't helping things any.

Respect. Thanks for your 2 piece's of eight anyways

But just so I'm not totally useless, I would put both Donald Byrd and Herbie Hancock in Jazz.

Both started their careers in Jazz and returned there later in life, and both brought a Jazz approach to their funkier stuff. I'm also pretty sure that both would describe themselves as Jazz musicians.

Horseleech said:
    But just so I'm not totally useless, I would put both Donald Byrd and Herbie Hancock in Jazz.

Both started their careers in Jazz and returned there later in life, and both brought a Jazz approach to their funkier stuff. I'm also pretty sure that both would describe themselves as Jazz musicians.

That's logical. Thanks for the help.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    Personally I file my records alphabetically by the artist who sampled it from Aaliyah to [strike]Xzibit[/strike] Zhan??.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    all depending on for how long time youve been collecting, over time it might be a good idear to put a limit to the amount of wax accumulated and at some point try to weed out the more chudish or filler stuff..
    that said, only recently pulled myself together and split the records up into genre sections.
    this makes it much easier to find stuff and navigate, ive had a 10k limit for acouple years.

file breakdown:

jazzfunk / instrumental funk soul
    east euro joints mixed
    library and jazz dance
    moog synth electronic
    world: latin, middle east, african, asian ect
    sleeze cheese budget popish
    compilation lps
    soundtracks and musicals
    US rock
    US psych
    UK rock
    UK prog psych
    krautrock
    euro rock: france, italy, spain, greece, holland ect
    scandinavian rock: denmark, sweden, ect
    soul (pre 1975)
    soul (post 75)
    spoken word, words only
    12's
    45's
    hiphop rap electro
    playout recs party
    playout recs obscure
    trades
    sales

overlaps might happen here and there!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    one thing i learned the hard way is if its an obscure title or artist you arent familiar with and wont remember the name, its unwise to jam it in a big alphabetical collection, as youll never find it again except by accident. I ask myself "how would i remember this", and if the answer is like "its like that (fill in blank) record i like" then i just file it with that record. at least initially. so ive got a huge A-Z but there are many little sections that only make sense to me. Also i keep classical, "ethnic", comps, library, soundtracks, childrens, and other odd categories in their own sections. and sometimes records that "should " go in A-Z, go in those other sections alongside records they "belong" with. no one will ever "get it" but me - but at least i can find a record when i think of it and forget the artist etc.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    @Upskiboo:
    Yeah, that comes pretty close to how I organise it. Put the records on alphabet within it's section. I have Yusef Lateef in my jazz section, jazz-funk section, Impulse section & CTI section for instance & know exactly where to look for when I need one of his records. But I can imagine it is diffucult filing certain records from time to time... Let's say a straight jazz record by Lonnie Smith from 2009. Needs to be together with the other 15+ jazzfunk lp's by him but there's not 1 funky song on there. Also don't want to file it next to an old Blue Note record by Horace Silver in the jazz section. But finding a solution for this, is what keeps us going I guess. Hahahaha

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I file by different countries... then I have sections for soul, jazz discographies for artists... like Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Miles Davis, etc... then I have all my MPS and CTI and tings like that together... then I have standard sections for various styles... and my soundtracks are split for example into Blaxploitation, comps, etc. It's a bitch having a zillion records. The more records you get, the more sections you make, the more easy it is to find things.... rap is in sections too... like I have a Gangstarr and releated artist section, DITC, etc. then I have a west coast LP and 12" section, east cost LP and 12" section, etc.

peace.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Lately I found out I gotta make a "Discovery Records" section besides the CTI, Mainstream, MPS, ECM, Strata East, Impulse & Black Jazz section. But that means my Clare Fischer collecting will no longer be intact....
    And it's damn hard since I put all the Japanese only releases together having Herbie's Flood & Hubbard's Gleam in there next to the Teruo Nakamura's & Terumasa Hino's

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    organizing also works by how much space (expedit cubes) and how much of a genre you have
    if you hgave 10 brazilian records file them in World but if you have 65 they get their own section
    i don't file alphabetically i just do genre then artist, then historically and organize artists by relevance
    so my soul section will be divided into male,female,group
    in male marvin,stevie,al,isaac are placed ahead of jerry butler let's say
    in the jazz miles quartet will be before electric stuff etc

basically i have to 8square expedit
    SOUL:female male
    FUNK/GROUPSOUL/REGGAE
    LATIN
    BRAZILIAN
    JAZZ (2 squares)
    QUEBEC
    NEW ARRIVALS+undefinables

SOUNDTRACKS/LIBRARY
    DISCO/BOOGIE
    WORLD/ETHNIC
    REVOLUTIONARY/HISTORIC
    HIPHOP
    ROCK/FOLK
    FRANCE
    CLASSICAL

Always purge before hitting up a record show!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    As I was building my collection as a DJ, it was a pretty simple hip hop 12"s/other 12"s/LPs/rock 45s/soul 45s/other 45s split. As I transitioned from a working DJ to a music geek, I started splitting the ever-expanding LP section into subgenres until everything starting getting pretty confused due to the natural cross-genre questions about stuff like funky African or jazz-rock. Now I'm back to hip hop LPs/all other LPs for the LP split. Makes things a lot easier for the fiance too, who knows what she likes, not what subgenre some random record is.

• My system is super loose and idiosyncratic, where there are some major divisions by genre, where genre is clearly enough defined, but then I also have major divisions by region.

Being Polish, I definitely like giving my Polish records a good spot in the collection. I have a Polish sub-section in my jazz section, and all the Polish rock/folk/whatever records have their own section. Eastern Europe (including Melodiya) has another section where they are all mashed together alphabetically. I decided to file my Mongolian LPs on Melodiya in that section too, even though they really should live in the Asia section. I have a Japan section too. I guess there is an autobiographical component: I'm Polish but also Canadian and hold two citizenships, and also lived in Japan and Portland, so I have decent representation in records from those places. Rock generally has a giant catch-all section where Canadian and US stuff goes (with other stuff in regional sections) but I have considered splitting off a Canada section. I sort of have avantgarde and new age and all electronic stuff living together and might subdivide sometime.

It also helps to think of my own associations with the record. Like the Mongolian stuff. Since I know something like Bayan Mongol was put out on Melodia when Mongolia was communist, in my head it is an Eastern Bloc record and since that is the strongest association, that's where it gets filed.

It's all a bit amorphous, but it works a lot better than if I impose a rigid structure on my collection and fight how my mind works. It works because it takes into account intuition and instinct instead of trying to suppress it.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    karlophone said:
    one thing i learned the hard way is if its an obscure title or artist you arent familiar with and wont remember the name, its unwise to jam it in a big alphabetical collection, as youll never find it again except by accident.

I go straight A to Z, with small children's and nature sounds sections kept separate. I suppose I could file the frog sound records under F and the bird sound records under B, but it's easier to keep them in the nature section. The problem with larger genre sections for me (which I used to maintain) is that it kept requiring large movement of records to keep the genre sections organized.

But I've got all these Indian records where the artist doesn't mean anything to me that have been a challenge to keep track of and find when i want to hear them. When i was describing this problem to a friend of mine, he advised taking the following approach: "Sorry little brown sitar player, if you aren't memorable enough for me to remember your name, maybe you don't deserve to be found."

Harsh, but possibly true.

A to Z is the least subjective approach.

STOP USING LABELS TO SEPARATE US.
    JRoot

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    First ??? I keep LPs and 12 inch singles separate.

Then I split them into broad genres/styles, and if they take up more than one crate/shelf I split them chronologically. Doing the chronological split generally does the job of differentiating the various sounds that exist within genres.

For 12s
    Disco/Boogie 70-79/80-82/83-87/Newer/edits-remixes-compilations
    Hip Hop 79-85/85-95/96-now
    Broken Beats/Nu Jazz
    Party Jams/Breaks/B???more
    House/Nu Disco
    New wave/rock/80s/Pop

For LPs
    Funk/Disco/Boogie/Soul 60-70/70-80/80-90/Compilations & new
    Favourites ??? Artists who I have a big portion of their back catalogue ??? Roy Ayers, Minnie Ripperton, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan etc.
    Hip Hop/Beats 79-89/90-Now
    New Wave/Rock/80s
    House/Dance/Nu Disco
    60s-70s Rock

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    karlophone said:

Harsh, but possibly true.

A to Z is the least subjective approach.

STOP USING LABELS TO SEPARATE US.
    JRoot

Before I had a store I was straight A-Z.
    When I opened I did soul, jazz, rock, folk a-z and separate sections for ethnic and maybe blues and some other stuff.

People hated it. Jazz guys refused to look for records in bins that had offensive artist like Michael Jackson and Teddy Pendergras. Nobody else liked it much either. Customers want labels.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I organize my records with the realest shit all up on one side and the fakest shit way up on the other side. Namean. I got sections like get a Nigga hype all the way to like some OG smooth sade shit section. Namean. Then I got a whole section with just broads on the cover alphabetized by Cup size. Gotta respect the ladies and shit. I used to rock an Expedit joint but now I gotta use that for my Nike collection. Now my shelves are bricks lining the wall of the apartment. Straight classy. All my whiteboy waxidermy bullshit gets filed in the garage. That's the ebay section.

- spidey

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    By value is the smartest way. In an emergency you should be able to grab one crate that you can live off of for at least one year.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's no good way! Two moves ago, I decided to go alphabetical by genre. Didn't like it. The last time I moved, I decided to go back to just strictly alphabetical. Still don't like it. So I think I will now go -- alphabetical everything except hip-hop and no-name 12's.

SPlDEY said:
    I organize my records with the realest shit all up on one side and the fakest shit way up on the other side. Namean. I got sections like get a Nigga hype all the way to like some OG smooth sade shit section. Namean. Then I got a whole section with just broads on the cover alphabetized by Cup size. Gotta respect the ladies and shit. I used to rock an Expedit joint but now I gotta use that for my Nike collection. Now my shelves are bricks lining the wall of the apartment. Straight classy. All my whiteboy waxidermy bullshit gets filed in the garage. That's the ebay section.

- spidey

Was this an attempt at humor?