Do You Believe?

2»

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    BTW, if you start to type "jerus" into Google "jerusalem ufo hoax" is one of the first autocomplete options.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not convinced on that one 100% either. To be honest, I'm not sure if I am of any. I was just using that as an example of "damned if you do/damned if you don't". Being skeptical is a good thing as long as you're open to an alternative opinion. .02

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i won't front. i thought this was gonna be a thread about the beatnuts.

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts

Double post from other thread, but holy shit we cant stop funding science research. Im tired of seeing the NIH, NASA, and other science institutions constantly have budgets slashed while defense spending and shitty entitlement programs cont to sink this country into oblivion...

The Drake Equation:

In 1961, University of California, Santa Cruz astronomer and astrophysicist Dr. Frank Drake devised the Drake equation. This controversial equation multiplied estimates of the following terms together:

The rate of formation of suitable stars.
    The fraction of those stars which are orbited by planets.
    The number of Earth-like worlds per planetary system.
    The fraction of planets where intelligent life develops.
    The fraction of possible communicative planets.
    The "lifetime" of possible communicative civilizations.
    Drake used the equation to estimate that there are approximately 10,000 planets in the Milky Way galaxy containing intelligent life with the possible capability of communicating with Earth.[46]

Based on observations from the Hubble Space Telescope, there are at least 125 billion galaxies in the Universe. It is estimated that at least ten percent of all sun-like stars have a system of planets,[47] i.e. there are 6.25??1018 stars with planets orbiting them in the Universe. Even if we assume that only one out of a billion of these stars have planets supporting life, there would be some 6.25??109 (billion) life-supporting planetary systems in the Universe.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Aliens are not paying attention to Earth.

Assuming that alien technologies have solved the Faster Than Light travel problem, the volume of the Universe is just so large that Terra will go unnoticed by all but the most incomprehensibly thorough survey. The Drake equation is based upon a lot of assumptions, most of its seven terms are estimated, not derived from empirical observation. An order of magnitude change in a subset of these terms would shift the probability to infinitesimal for contacting intelligent life.

Estimated volume of the observable universe: 3 ?? 10^80 m^3

6.25??10^9 life-supporting planetary systems in the Universe

Divide 10^9 into 10^80 equals zero.

I didnt post the drake equation to suggest contact at all. Merely hypothesizing like others given the vast enormity of our universe there stands a decent change there exists Extraterrestrial life out there. Agreed major criticisms from the theory derive from the fact that most variables in equation cannot be empirically found but merely conjectured at.

"One reply to such criticisms is that even though the Drake equation currently involves speculation about unmeasured parameters, it was not meant to be science, but intended as a way to stimulate dialogue on these topics. Then the focus becomes how to proceed experimentally. Indeed, Drake originally formulated the equation merely as an agenda for discussion at the Green Bank conference."

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    Crazy interview on Fresh Air about Area 51!

Stalin engineered child sized adults to pilot a round hovering plane into the U.S.!
    The whole thing was kept top secret because the U.S. was working on a similar project!!!

:get_on_my_level:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I heard some of that.

I can always tell when Terry Gross wants to be somewhere else. She sounded like, why do I have to interview these nut jobs and pretend they are interesting. I did a google image search on all the early flying wings she mentioned which was interesting.

But last night she had Parker and Stone on the show and she was in heaven.

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I heard some of that.

I can always tell when Terry Gross wants to be somewhere else. She sounded like, why do I have to interview these nut jobs and pretend they are interesting. I did a google image search on all the early flying wings she mentioned which was interesting.

But last night she had Parker and Stone on the show and she was in heaven.

Ha ha! I would just tell Terry Gross, this woman is doing our nation a service by speaking out about undercover humanitarian atrocities!! I understand, it's no "Book of Mormon" but C'mon! Shit is REAL!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This shit is real and atrocious:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/health/research/02infect.html

That the US (or Russia) was genetically engineering aliens is not real.