Do You Believe?

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Effective this month, the SETI Institute will be putting the Allen Telescope Array into hibernation. Basically, we will be haulting our largest attempt at finding extraterrestrial life.

Do you believe something else is out there? Does it collect records?

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I guess if the universe really is limitless then it's unavoidable that there are limitless variations of other living things out there. I'm not really sure if something or somebody is close enough to get in touch and if so, I can't avoid but thinking that for some other civilisation to be willing to waste time on us, they'd have to either be even more dumb than us or have less then friendly intentions. Or both. Either way, I'd prefer to not find out. There are already more than enough beings on this planet that would better be lost in space.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Frank said:
    I can't avoid but thinking that for some other civilisation to be willing to waste time on us, they'd have to either be even more dumb than us or have less then friendly intentions. Or both.

this is a great anecdote frank. i agree with you that, on a whole, our civilization is "dumb." however, do you feel that our search for some et life, or simply our search outside of our solar system, is also "dumb?" this is not an attacking question, just wondering your thoughts.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I don't think it's dumb, just expensive.

The Reptilians will soon reveal themselves anyway, and we'll be able to watch it on TV for free.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I think it's very stupid to put so much time/money/effort into space travel/etc when we haven't properly investigated our own oceans.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    cookbook said:
    Frank said:
    I can't avoid but thinking that for some other civilisation to be willing to waste time on us, they'd have to either be even more dumb than us or have less then friendly intentions. Or both.

this is a great anecdote frank. i agree with you that, on a whole, our civilization is "dumb." however, do you feel that our search for some et life, or simply our search outside of our solar system, is also "dumb?" this is not an attacking question, just wondering your thoughts.

I think it's dumb to waste resources on something with a fairly small chance of any result especially considering the small likeliness any obtained result will actually lead to anything good.

Looking at what we have done to this planet, you could also call it irresponsible to explore outer space. I think it's better for the grand good if we remain contained to our world. If there would be a higher power, it would put us under house arrest given the mess we've made so far.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    cove said:
    I think it's very stupid to put so much time/money/effort into space travel/etc when we haven't properly investigated our own oceans.

But we're doing pretty well at polluting them and most probably will extinct uncountable species before even discovering them.

Frank said:

Looking at what we have done to this planet, you could also call it irresponsible to explore outer space. I think it's better for the grand good if we remain contained to our world. If there would be a higher power, it would put us under house arrest given the mess we've made so far.

i can ride for the irresponsible angle, but i know i have so many questions regarding the universe, if i had the resources, i would want to investigate further...

Frank said:
    cove said:

But we're doing pretty well at polluting them and most probably will extinct uncountable species before even discovering them.

i agree regarding ocean exploration, such untapped discovery

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought this thread was going to be about life after love.

• Options
    cove said:

The NASA budget has always been a piddling little thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aliens/other life isnt necessarily seen. What about the other senses. Eyes dont tell the whole story.

Clear Gas Monsters

batmon said:
    Aliens/other life isnt necessarily seen. What about the other senses. Eyes dont tell the whole story.

Clear Gas Monsters

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Man cannot detect higher frequency colors beyond violet, and therefore blind to ultraviolet.

:micro:

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    batmon said:
    Aliens/other life isnt necessarily seen.

So how do you explain this . . ?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Frank said:
    I guess if the universe really is limitless then it's unavoidable that there are limitless variations of other living things out there. I'm not really sure if something or somebody is close enough to get in touch and if so, I can't avoid but thinking that for some other civilisation to be willing to waste time on us, they'd have to either be even more dumb than us or have less then friendly intentions. Or both. Either way, I'd prefer to not find out. There are already more than enough beings on this planet that would better be lost in space.

damn son..that shit had me in stitches..in a good way..you are so right.

Also..why look in space..while many parameters of the sea have never been explored..who knows what lurks in the deepest spaces of the sea. and shit..there are so many (even) known insects and animals who are so weird so complex.. many dont even know about, but since its here already they dont give a fuck..
    just yesterday i saw this documentary about this larva who place himself in the neighbourhood where ants reside.. he carries the same smell of an ant "baby" larva..
    The ants smell it, and pick it up ..instantly! The think what is this larva doing here..it should be in the nursing room..so they pick it up and bring it there..
    the infiltrated larva also has the same cry as the babyants. So when he is chilling in the nursing room, couple of ants start feeding him and take care of him like they do for the rest of the antbabies..
    he stays there till he is grown and strng and then bounces.
    crazy ass shit..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jamal said:
    Frank said:

Also..why look in space..while many parameters of the sea have never been explored..who knows what lurks in the deepest spaces of the sea. and shit..there are so many (even) known insects and animals who are so weird so complex.. many dont even know about, but since its here already they dont give a fuck..
    just yesterday i saw this documentary about this larva who place himself in the neighbourhood where ants reside.. he carries the same smell of an ant "baby" larva..
    The ants smell it, and pick it up ..instantly! The think what is this larva doing here..it should be in the nursing room..so they pick it up and bring it there..
    the infiltrated larva also has the same cry as the babyants. So when he is chilling in the nursing room, couple of ants start feeding him and take care of him like they do for the rest of the antbabies..
    crazy ass shit..

Aliens do that too.
    They leave their alien babies at fire stations and in dumpsters. People find them and raise them just as if they were human. Because they look human. But they are not, they are aliens. Sometimes they take alien fetuses and sneak them into pregnant women's wombs. That is why there are so many twins and triplets these days.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Jamal said:
    Frank said:

crazy ass shit..

Aliens do that too.
    They leave their alien babies at fire stations and in dumpsters. People find them and raise them just as if they were human. Because they look human. But they are not, they are aliens. Sometimes they take alien fetuses and sneak them into pregnant women's wombs. That is why there are so many twins and triplets these days.

hahah

creepy shit btw

LaserWolf said:
    Jamal said:
    Frank said:

crazy ass shit..

Aliens do that too.

so glad LW touched this thread, amazing. redhead conspiracy............

• rookrook 357 Posts
    A rat done bit my sister [while] Whitey's on the moon.

• peace, stein. . .

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Calling Discoche. This would be the right thread to tell again his crazy story about the things he had seen while hiking in south america.

BTW, R****l get in touch with me. I`ve managed to find an occasion where we can spin records together over here. It is paid, too.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:

peace, stein. . .

Cool thing about this is that it was caught from quite a few different places.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Those videos look fake... if you google it, there are ton of articles explaining why they would have to be fake.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    They are mothballing it because, in these troubled economic times, and having already worked here with ETs since like forever, this nod-to-the-proletariat about "Looking, really hard [guffaw] for any signs of life out there" is taking up money better spent on gold or war.

Astronauts have fessed up and yet they keep schtum.
    That UK Hacker dude they are trying to extradite found it on their computers.
    Boss @ Roswell said on his deathbed it was true.
    Dudes during the cold war said they disabled the missiles.
    They don't think we can handle the truth so keep it under wraps, encouraging the "Crazy!" stigma.

And yet religious folks get a pass for believing in something, and building monuments to, an idea with even less scientific evidence.

There is something out there for sure, but the fact that they are turning up here puts them orders of magnitude ahead of us. If they wanted to take us over, they would have done so already. I liked the quote from "Mothman Prophecies":

John Klein: I think we can assume that these entities are more advanced than us. Why don't they just come right out and tell us what's on their minds?
    Alexander Leek: You're more advanced than a cockroach, have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?

• Frank said:

I'm sorry but what is "the grand good" supposed to mean?

Given the mess we've made so far? We are a semi-barbaric and wholly insignificant species evolving on a small rock orbiting one of the hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy. The Galaxy itself is one of hundreds of billions which we can estimate given our primitive technology. Our limited time on this planet so far has not been without significant incident to us and the species and ecosystems evolving around us, but to think we are somehow special or significant in any way smacks of ego or brainwashing to me.

No wonder no other species has contacted us, we would be just another semi-evolved civilization clinging to it's antiquated beliefs of an all powerful and vengeful figurehead, still raping, still killing for capitol and power. We would be boring at a party of any post human civilization with a neo conservative foreign policy and technology out it's ass.

Of course if it's an expansionist civilization which discovers us, we're fucked so it may be a good thing that we are in the back waters of the universe and we have stopped recklessly pinging our inability to defend ourselves to a more advanced and war mongering and space faring society.

The very thought that we would be the only beings in the universe imo is so absurd.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Humans are the smartest animal on this planet and we feel like our superior knowledge should be able to explain and understand everything around us.

When something comes along that we can't readily explain scientifically the typical human reaction is to credit it to something "Supernatural".....a God, Space Aliens, Ghosts....things we've never seen but have a warped sense of faith that they exist.... we need to have an explanation for everything.....after all, we're Humans...THE SMARTEST ANIMAL ON THE PLANET!!!

Religious groups have their "articles of proof" that are no less convincing than Area 51, Whitely Streeber or those Big Foot tracks they found in backwoods Georgia.

I'll believe in any/all of the above when presented with solid evidence beyond bible fairy tales, outrageous stories of battling aliens below the deserts of New Mexico or fuzzy pictures of the Loch Ness Monster.....some of the things that the smartest animals on earth believe are just outright silly.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

b/w
    "I don't believe in sermons, fairy tales or stories about money."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    Those videos look fake... if you google it, there are ton of articles explaining why they would have to be fake.

That's always the problem. Unless someone walks into a starbucks cradling a little alien baby, people will always say "it's fake" no matter HOW convincing the video or photo.

That said, it's extremely egotistical of humankind to think we are the only intelligent life in all of this.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i've been following this young aussie's alien sightings that he caught on cam (so he says)..here the first video (like half a year old) and the newest shot in april

if its a fake its pretty entertaining

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    serch4beatz said:
    i've been following this young aussie's alien sightings that he caught on cam (so he says)..here the first video (like half a year old) and the newest shot in april

if its a fake its pretty entertaining

This looks like the Blair Alien Project to me, plus I've never seen anybody so bad at focusing a camera. And would ET really need a flashlight?

I firmly believe in UFOs, though. To me it's more of a leap of faith at this point to deny them. Plus, I had a
    sighting years ago on the beach during the day.

I've yet to see anything convincing confirming 'aliens', however.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    day said:
    bull_ox said:

That's always the problem. Unless someone walks into a starbucks cradling a little alien baby, people will always say "it's fake" no matter HOW convincing the video or photo.

That said, it's extremely egotistical of humankind to think we are the only intelligent life in all of this.

I like the convincing-looking videos. I don't pretend to know if they really represent aliens or not, but they can be good eye/mind candy. All the UFO shitt is really boring to me overall though because there was so much focus on it for so long and so much fake 'evidence'.

I'm sure there are limitless non-human civilizations out there.

Did you watch those Jerusalem videos? They look dumb (well the one w/multiple angles anyway).