The Making of Mobb Deep's "The Infamous"

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    "Shook Ones Pt. II"

"I seen that whole shit where they found the Herbie Hancock shit. That???s crazy. I didn???t know it was a mystery or that it was that serious to people. They were really trying to figure out where that came from.???

???I used to go to record conventions to go buy records and breakbeats. The drums that actually came from this record was called Vinyl Dogs. Vinyl Dogs were actually from the ???90s and they used to have all these drum breaks. They were these two white dudes that loved hip-hop who would go breakbeat searching and put just a whole bunch of drum breaks on a record for the hip-hop producers to use. I got that and used that for the ???Shook Ones??? drums."

???Given that ???Shooks Ones Pt. II??? is a classic record, it just brought the curiosity out like,???What fucking sample is that???? [Laughs.] And I???m not telling anybody what sample it was because I forgot what samples I used. [Laughs.] But that is definitely the sample because I remembered when they brought it out. [Laughs.] But that???s a secret between you and me. It???s good and it???s bad because I was reveling in the mystery of the sample, but if people wanted to know so bad then that just shows how much love people have for the track."

Wow. I still have all the Vinyl Dogs records here at the crib.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "We was getting white boy wasted in the studio."

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Great read. Complex is killing it lately with this shit.

• rootlesscosmo said:

I'm reading it right now. I'm still in the preteen dunn years but it's actually very good. It's not touched up and it sounds like the slow kid reading his what I did on my summer vacation paper, but he leaves nothing out. I skimmed some later parts and he just tells everything no matter if it's good or bad. There's also a good part about one of the guys from Group Home taking a shit on the lobby floor of the studio. :(

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    do you think he'll talk about keith murray punching him in the face?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I like the idea of the the-breaks/realshit/true school guys getting their panties in a bunch over the fact that a breaks comp record was employed on one of their acknowledged classics.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i think most people realize that a hefty percentage of hiphop classics got made like that.
    from ultimate breaks on up

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Some good stuff in that Prodigy interview too.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    lovin this. dudes act mad young though. haha

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ???My grandfather left me his whole jazz record collection so we had hundreds and hundreds of records. And we used to go shopping for records. We was digging in the old record stores, getting our hands dirty, dusty, and shit. I used to buy most of the records for Mobb Deep, so my whole technique was I???d just go in the record store and I???d just look at the year.

???Anything from the ???70s, because I???m young. I don???t know who these groups are and what their music sounds like. The only thing I know is James Brown and Marvin Gaye. So you???ve got all these shits to choose from, so I just came up with a different theory because I seen that most of the records that was hot samples was from the ???70s. So I would go in the record store like, ???Give me everything from the ???70s.??????

• "Shook Ones Pt. II"

"I seen that whole shit where they found the Herbie Hancock shit. That???s crazy. I didn???t know it was a mystery or that it was that serious to people. They were really trying to figure out where that came from.???

???I used to go to record conventions to go buy records and breakbeats. The drums that actually came from this record was called Vinyl Dogs. Vinyl Dogs were actually from the ???90s and they used to have all these drum breaks. They were these two white dudes that loved hip-hop who would go breakbeat searching and put just a whole bunch of drum breaks on a record for the hip-hop producers to use. I got that and used that for the ???Shook Ones??? drums."

???Given that ???Shooks Ones Pt. II??? is a classic record, it just brought the curiosity out like,???What fucking sample is that???? [Laughs.] And I???m not telling anybody what sample it was because I forgot what samples I used. [Laughs.] But that is definitely the sample because I remembered when they brought it out. [Laughs.] But that???s a secret between you and me. It???s good and it???s bad because I was reveling in the mystery of the sample, but if people wanted to know so bad then that just shows how much love people have for the track."

Wow. I still have all the Vinyl Dogs records here at the crib.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Untitled/release/1212842

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    wasn't there some kind of super insider memoir of these sessions posted here years ago?

• wow I can't believe they told the sample to mobb deep nas eye for an eye. That's been a top want for me for years and years. He talks about an OG version but for clarification , am I reading this correctly? He flipped AL Green - I wish you were here? That goes right near the top on my all time best flips list. WOW

On a side note. Reading P's book -

His grandfather is Budd Johnson a famous jazz musician who worked with Quincy Jones, Dizzy Gillespie, etc,etc. HIs mother Is Fatima Frances Johnso who sang in the group the Crystals (Da Doo Ron Ron, He's A Rebel, etc..) His Great Great Great grandfather was William Jefferson White who founded Morehouse College. And his Grandmother was Bernice Johnson who ran the famous dance school of the same name in Queens.

Pretty interesting. His grandfather is where they got a large number of the jazz records they used.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Thats it, its the not thinking too much no polishing that makes something ill like that, also like nas' demotape the pre illmatic..raw shit..creative unfiltered.

cant copy from the site..so i was reacting here, to what I read..there.

quote:

Back then it was no sequence, you just did like you felt like doing. You could make the song as long as you wanted to make it. it was just creating

• Jamal said:
    Thats it, its the not thinking too much no polishing that makes something ill like that, also like nas' demotape the pre illmatic..raw shit..creative unfiltered.

Also, the willing to do songs over and let the best mix win.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I didn't realize Q-Tip had such a big input :pasue: in the making of the album other than the 2 tracks he produced.
    Interesting read, thanks for the demo Jaymack.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Jamal said:

I actually thought preillmatic had some borderline bad shit on it. It kind of shows you that illmatic could have totally ended up as just another rap record, enjoyed but not sweated like it is. It's like the planets aligned and everything came together. Preillmatic shows that he was not perfect and couldn't have done it on his own. I think his subsequent albums cement this. His guest appearances were great and he was clearly onto something, but I think he could have easily fucked it up.

Anyways, back to the infamous. I always get a kick out of producers revealing they used comps. It's a nice reminder that you shouldn't give a fuck and it's all about the end product.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Jamal said:

Also, the willing to do songs over and let the best mix win.

true, but the vibe..you know..the surroundings..the whole deal.. In fact thats shit applies to every art.

pre illmatic..well to each his own, I loovve that tape, I always listen to it on tape..it just has to be on tape..I just wish I didnt even know who nas is.. to complete the obscurity..

nas will prevail track..damn i dig that one better than it aint hard to tell on illmatic..

this article is dope!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jamal said:
    nas will prevail track..damn i dig that one better than it aint hard to tell on illmatic..

Please refer to 1:09:

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    haha creative.

to each his own i guess.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Really enjoyed this read for all the reasons people were stating. And yeah, I kind of tripped out on the Vinyl Dogs use too (which actually makes sense, but only in hindsight). I think Brian Coleman was one half of the Vinyl Dogs crew if I recall?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I got that vinyl dogs record - did they use the Helles Belles drums?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I think Brian Coleman was one half of the Vinyl Dogs crew if I recall?

no

Duderonomy said:

daly wilson big band.
    mike still occasionaly sets up at shows

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    jaymack said:
    So I would go in the record store like, ???Give me everything from the ???70s.??????
    Best record store line I've heard since DJ Lethals "Box up the soul section, box up the rock section".

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Duderonomy said:

daly wilson big band.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I know about the dirty feet break, but when I picked up that vinyl dogs record I was more impressed with the Les Baxter drums, so I just wondered if they used them anywhere... or more to the point, did Q-Tip around that time?

Great interview though. Felt kind of weird reading about their buddy 'Killa'. Not sure I wanted him to beat that rap.

Duderonomy said:
    tripledouble said:
    Duderonomy said:

daly wilson big band.

Sorry, should have been clearer - I know about the dirty feet break, but when I picked up that vinyl dogs record I was more impressed with the Les Baxter drums, so I just wondered if they used them anywhere... or more to the point, did Q-Tip around that time?

Great interview though. Felt kind of weird reading about their buddy 'Killa'. Not sure I wanted him to beat that rap.

oh ok i got you. yeah they had a lot of nice drums on there.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I did an interview with Sean for I think Grandslam that would've been the best I ever did, hands down... at the last minute he said we couldn't print it due to death threats he was getting (and I believe him, too). I wonder if I still even have the tapes from that interview... I don't even remember much of what was said but I know it was a lot of :face_melt: Hip Hop related schitt