Private Mind Garden Summertime Joints

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
A little something I poasted for the homies over at ShookMag.http://www.shook.fm/content/2010/05/jonny-good-records-nyc-presents/Figured I would open it up to Teh Strut since I know y'all will want to chop it up (and rehash it) like this was Texas. Enjoy
Yea yea the weather?s nice in London? well it?s 90F in New York bitches!!! Hot diggety dang!!!SHK asked Jonny Sklute, the man behind the East Village?s impeccable Good Records store, to walk us through his choice cuts for the finest season and he has delivered. It?s a Shooxclusive?!Take it away Jonny ??11 Summertime Joints For The Block Party In My Private Mind Garden?Around this time of year, when the weather gets warm, people come out of their shells (and their clothes), the streets become extensions of our living rooms, and the music blasting through the windows of apartments and passing cars, out of boomboxes perched at get togethers, BBQs and block parties forms the soundtrack not just for our individual experiences, but scores our shared meals, romances, and most important, our good times. 11 tunes that you will definitely here me blasting out of my hooptie as I drive around my section of Harlem and the greater NYC area.1. Ramsey Lewis ? Sun GoddessHow many DJ sets could you open with this track? From the moment the guitar riff starts, it gently builds, piece by piece, until Earth Wind & Fire begin to weave their trademark harmonies into a melody that never quite resolves, like a summer day, just cresting and falling, but never fading or burning out, until Ramsey?s keys spazz out into a perfect summertime groove.2. The Gap Band ? Yearning For Your LoveMany people might go for ?Outstanding?, but this is the cut for me by the Gap Band. Just a vibe to, as Nas rapped to it years later, ?wake up early on my bornday?. A Sunday joint. A perfect feel good tune to ride out to with the windows down and the sun shining. There?s a feeling of renewal in there ? ?you can?t keep running in and out of my life? ? of drawing a line in the sand and getting your shit straight.3. Kenni Burke ? Rising To The TopFrom the shimmering keyboard intro to the massive midtempo bass groove that follows it, this track just screams summertime in NYC. Another one of those tracks that you will hear at block parties, park BBQs, or just riding out to around here. I didn?t hear this much growing up but you can see me pretty much every day, stopped at the light on Lenox Ave, playing this loud in my hooptie. That?s how I do this time of year!4. Santo & Johnny ? Sleep WalkNow this is a song that immediately brings me back to my childhood in California. Classic lowrider record, I used to hear this on all the oldies shows, and saw it used for the funeral scene in La Bamba, so since then my association has always been with the car and gang cultures of the West Coast Barrios, rather than its native Hawaiian slack key guitar style. This reminds me of a sunset out west, warm weather, chilling with loved ones.5. Raekwon Ft. Ghostface ? Ice CreamThis is THE ultimate NYC rap summer jam for me. When I moved here in August of 1995, the air was sticky and thick, girls were not wearing a whole lot of clothing, and you absolutely could not escape this record, kind of like the suffocating heat. That piano line almost trickles down your cheek from the headphones. Add a sample of Eddie Murphy yelling about ice cream and you?ve got a (hot) cold classic.6. Steve Parks ? Movin? In The Right DirectionAmid a list of sticky, sweaty, greasy summer joints this one plays like a cool breeze. The cover of this record features Parks, standing against some rocks, floral-print shirt half-buttoned, the sea at his back, and that?s how I feel right now just listening to it. The groove is mellow but still uptempo, and Parks? light voice plays along with a flute line that dances just above the waves, catching the mist.7. Alicia Myers ? I Want To Thank YouClassic hot weather Bar-B-Que joint right here. A big hit back in 1982, it earned permanent block party gold status over time and now I can?t imagine a summer tooling around NYC without hearing this either out of someone?s box or on the radio. Myers? voice is deceptively sweet, and for many years I didn?t even associate this record as a gospel song. The ?without you?. Oooooooh!? hook gets me every time.8. Hugh Masekela ? Grazing In The GrassHere?s another joint that I associate with my early days on the West Coast ? you?d hear this on the lowrider shows and quite frankly, I thought this was some kind of Chicano-Soul group ? between the clanging cowbell and the trumpet-led brass section, it had that kind of aesthetic ? until the 90s when I got hip to Hugh Masekela. Masekela?s trumpet is perhaps South Africa?s chief musical export, and it would be remiss not to include it this year what with the World Cup about to jump off from that country.9. Quincy Jones ? Summer In The CityThis song conjures a lot of memories, both from the joints that sampled it ? The Pharcyde, Black Moon ? but also just from many days sitting outside on my man?s stoop in Brooklyn, a little lit, trying not to move but also trying to keep my shirt from sticking to my back! This thing is just oozing humidity and summer malaise.10. The Isley Brothers ? Living For The Love Of YouThis song is indellibly linked to my teenage romances, when tapes of the Isleys, Malo, Sade, and Jodeci were hastily dubbed in anticipation of actually being able to do some of the stuff that they were singing about to that fly girl you were trying to nestle up to. Listening to it now, there?s almost a soft-rock vibe, like if Mr. Biggs himself wasn?t singing, Seals & Crofts could easily do some damage with the instrumental. This is just perfect cool out music when the temperature is getting a little too hot.11. Saafir ? Just RidenIt?s no small thing to take Saafir?s frenetic, abstract, polyrhythmic flows, and slow them down to accommodate a simple, mellow Isley Brothers loop, but this song crystalizes the Oakland-centric trait of being as laid back as you can be, while still peeping game and staying alert for the traps and pitfalls waiting around most corners in a rough urban environment. Meanwhile the beat just pushes along lacksidaisically, underlined by tight 808s and an ethereal vocal sample of Roberta Flack. The whole track is a study in contrasts right down to the snowcapped video scenes.
you can nab the youtubes over on the Shook site.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Just read this pon the Twitter. Good stuff.

EDIT: should really have added some favourites of my own, especially considering the killer weather London's blessed with right now, so...

I put Laura Nyro above Joni Mitchell. She was a genius, basically.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    3. Kenni Burke ? Rising To The Top

I've always wondered, did Rick James bite that bass line for "All Night Long," or the other way around?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Great list, great reading. Yearning for Your Love especially gets me with that "you keep running in and out of my life" understated singing steez...anytime I hear that song, it stays stuck in my head for days on end. Good stuff.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    3. Kenni Burke ? Rising To The Top

I've always wondered, did Rick James bite that bass line for "All Night Long," or the other way around?

The magic sprinkle-twinkle intro is so summer-ish.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Great stuff. Beautiful weather here too! Usually gets me breaking out the Jamaican and Brazilian sections. Also the AM Gold and some country rock.

Ventura Highway for daaaaaaaaaze...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

My sons loves that song because they say "alligator lizards in the air".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

My sons loves that song because they say "alligator lizards in the air".

Very nearly put it on my list. A classic.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Finally something we can agree upon

b/w

Nice one, Paychizzle. I co-sign all of those. Saafir was a good call.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Nice one, Paychizzle.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    mass appeal

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Nice choices. It's already hot as balls here unfortunately. My mindgarden would include

thin lizzy-Rosalie
    this song just sounds like drinking beer outside in the sun to me

alton Ellis-whiter shade of pale
    one of a few covers that crush the og IMO

astrud Gilberto-new beginnings
    love this , the sun in song form

Novos baianos-menia danca
    just one of my all time favorites

Willie Hobbs-under the pines
    don't know why this gives me a hot/humid night vibe, but it does

Richard berry-have love will travel
    wish I had a convertible to blast this while I cruise

blue cheer-summertime blues
    no explanation neccesary

• pknypkny 549 Posts

And I gotta double down on this:

blue cheer-summertime blues
    no explanation neccesary

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JP: Nice list! I was going to invite you to contribute to my annual summer song series but looks like Shook beat me to the punch.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

astrud Gilberto-new beginnings
    love this , the sun in song form

Such an amazing tune!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Oh hell yes! I just uncovered my OG tape of this and am jamming the whole thing now.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

yeah brilliant joint.

I used that track in a summer themed mix dedicated to that time when afternoon drinks turn into night time partying.

Please to enjoy Northern Hemispheric strutters.

DJ Return - Get Up Out of that Hammock http://soundcloud.com/thereturn/sets

Afternoon Side
    http://www.divshare.com/download/10285535-766

1. Laid Back ? Fly Away/Walking in Sunshine [1984]
    2. Ed Royal? Hip Hop to Funk Ft. Badkat & Lady Daisy (Dan Vans & Stefan Obermayr remix) [2009]
    3. Beautiful Swimmers ? Swimmer?s Groove [2009]
    4. Tone Control ? Love Thing ft Lady J (Small Arms Fiya Remix) [2007]
    5. Fleetwood Mac ? Dreams (Julien Love Edit) [1977/2009]
    6. Hall & Oates ? I Can?t Go For That (DJ Apt One Drums Edit) [1981/2009]
    7. Spaceflight Orchestra ? Step Now ft Aima the Dreamer (J-Boogie Remix) [2009]
    8. Yam Who? ? Here We Go (Stray Remix) [2006]
    9. Mark E & Dragon ? Good Times [2008]**
    10. Chow Daddy ? Never Fade (Ronnie Laws ? Good Feelings edit) [1981/2007]
    11. Lovebirds ? Its All Yours [2009]
    12. Nebraska ? Flurescent Door [2009]

** This was pitched up a few more bpm than the artist intended. I first heard it at 45 rpm, so it naturally sounds better sped up to me. Also it matches the pitch of the chic vocals better too.

Evening Side
    http://www.divshare.com/download/10285653-86c

13. The Martin Brothers ? Dum (Tal M Klein Remix) [2009]
    14. Elvis Presley ? Crawfish (Pilooski Edit) [2008]
    15. Smoove & Turrell ? You Don?t Know (Kraak & Smack Remix) [2009]
    16. Son Of A Cheeky Boy ? Comma [1997]
    17. White Gurl Lust ? Blackout! [2009]
    18. Tiger & Woods ? Deflowered [2009]
    19. Captain Sky ? Moon Child (Joey Negro Edit) [1979/2009]
    20. King Kooba ? Slightly Burnt [2008]
    21. Paul Johnson ? Summer Heat [1996]
    22. A4C ? Unnamed Mambo [2009]
    23. Zed Bias ? Neighborhood 09 ft MC Rumpus & Nicky Prince (Roska Remix) [2009]
    24. Brad Shitt ? Casbah Breakdown (The Clash) [1982/2009]
    25. DJ U-Tern ? All That Cha Got [2008]
    26. Starks & Nancy ? Summer Madness [2009]
    27. DJ Wood ? Eye Know [2008]
    28. Steely Dan ? Peg (Instrumental Edit) [1977]

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts

Great, great tune. Pony, what up with that Ethel Beatty "I Know You Care" Edit you did....fantastic!!! Any chance you are putting that out on 12"? Nice work as always.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The Moxie edit 12" series is no mafarkin joke. The MJ one in particular is soooo dope.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    JP: Nice list! I was going to invite you to contribute to my annual summer song series but looks like Shook beat me to the punch.

Yeah man, you had asked me to do this years ago... I totally flaked.

Anyway, it's basically just Kiss FM and a couple of west coast joints for good measure, nothing too serious

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Stoked for a 2011 version! Where you at? :beerbang:

'Tis getting warm in my city

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    musica said:

I spent a good portion of today working on my Summer Soulstice Vol 2 mix... my private mind garden is full of summertime joints right now... but it's gotta stay private until I'm done :beerbang:

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    musica said:

I spent a good portion of today working on my Summer Soulstice Vol 2 mix... my private mind garden is full of summertime joints right now... but it's gotta stay private until I'm done :beerbang:

I listened to that when you put it up in 2008, maybe? A lot! Enjoyed very much. I had forgotten who on here made it. It was very straightforward no frills summery and good. Vol 2, looking forward.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Deegreez said:
    FortyFivan said:
    musica said:

I listened to that when you put it up in 2008, maybe? A lot! Enjoyed very much. I had forgotten who on here made it. It was very straightforward no frills summery and good. Vol 2, looking forward.

Nice! Thanks for the kind words. That's always been the one of mine people liked the most. I put it out back in 2006... guess I peaked early ;)

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Both in my private mindgarden and my real garden this (and the rest of the LP) is playing out loud

• heard this out a few months ago (can't remember where) but it's been a perfect revival for the sunshine we're having here at the moment:

o'jays "my favourite person"

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    yesterday afternoon I was blasting these

• Amongst others, I always seem to crack this one out when the weather gets good over here in rainy old England.

Sabia Na Palmeira by DJ_Mario