I'm off to download the album HERE: http://the-weeknd.com/

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Holy Shit.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "Id buy that for a dollar!"

Remids me of this tune:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    If I heard nothing else but this album and Frank Ocean's nostalgia/ULTRA for the rest of the year, I'd be 100% okay with that.

Oh, and DJ Quik's upcoming Book Of David album too.

• this shit is embarrassing

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I like the beat, but those lyrics are corny as shit. This"Novocane".

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Tell me who the hell this group is? I'm still not sure if I love it or hate it, but there's somethign strangely compelling about that video clip.

• The album has been on constant repeat this week. Such a great debut! Wasn't that fond of it at first but the whole thing grew on me!

Fav track right now:

I think Frank Ocean is great but Weeknd is just a little bit better. Better lyrics, vocals and production!

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Sweet_Premium said:

Better lyrics,

"What's good, young ho?" Don't be silly.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts

I think Weeknd is great but Frank Ocean is just a little bit better. Better lyrics, vocals and production!

there fixed that for you.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I ride for the Weeknd release. Actually prefer the first half of that song posted (House Of Balloons).

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I'm late to the party and it looks like the Frank Ocean release is not available to download anymore...anyone got a link?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Was introduced to them via the track below which is bananas dope IMO, more beat wise than lyrically speaking.
    Rest of the album is lacking IMO - but they got mad potential. Heard that 40-whatevs (Drake's producer dude) was somehow involved?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    this shit is embarrassing

Weeknd sounds like some indie rock dudes that just heard an album by the-dream

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yeah this shit is hot garbage. it took them one week to do what it took dream 3 years & they have one one thousandth his gift for melody or phrasing, and sorry this production eats ass. how many years did it take tricky to go from jt money's solo album to getting big name production credits? fuck this group

i do fuck w/ some frank ocean tho

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    double post

deej said:
    yeah this shit is hot garbage. it took them one week to do what it took dream 3 years & they have one one thousandth his gift for melody or phrasing, and sorry this production eats ass. how many years did it take tricky to go from jt money's solo album to getting big name production credits? fuck this group

i do fuck w/ some frank ocean tho

So you're mad 'cause it took The Dream longer to be as popular? Mmmmmkay.

For the record, The Weeknd is one dude. Not a group.

Singing Ryan Leslie > The Weeknd > The Dream >>>>>> Rapping Ryan Leslie

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wait did u just say dude is better than the-dream

gtfo

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    some indie rock dudes that just heard an album by the-dream

throw on some grey new balances and we've got Soul Strut!

deej said:

gtfo

Yeah I did. I never bought into the whole "The Dream is a musical genius" mantra a lot of you dudes subscribe to. It's rare that I find a modern R&B album that I can listen to over and over to right off the bat. Frank Ocean and The Weeknd - and Ryan Leslie a few years ago - just so happened to come out of nowhere and impress the hell out of me, moreso than The Dream ever did. As you can see, I wasn't the only one impressed. As far as an indie rock influence, I don't hear it and I'm not quite sure what that means other than an attempt to discredit it or whatever. Regardless of whatever influence it has, it's good.

But you know, to each their own and all that good stuff.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Herm said:
    deej said:

gtfo

Yeah I did. I never bought into the whole "The Dream is a musical genius" mantra a lot of you dudes subscribe to. It's rare that I find a modern R&B album that I can listen to over and over to right off the bat.

why didnt u say so?? R&B for people who dont like R&B

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Haha, I shoulda known...

Anyway thanks for the heads-up on Dream, I'm downloading now.

• I'm a bit tired of the weeknd - frank ocean comparisions. Both is r'n'b-ish but they both got something different going on.

Btw, did you guys see that House of Balloons is a part of a trilogy. Part two called "thursday" is dropping soon

I don't think Frank Ocean and The Weeknd sound anything like each other. I just use their names together a lot 'cause I discovered them within a month of each other and they're both something that I thoroughly enjoyed from the first listen.

Deej, I think it's more like "R&B for people who don't like overproduced, glossy R&B." For me, at least.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Herm said:
    I don't think Frank Ocean and The Weeknd sound anything like each other.

Yeah, i was the one that said that and here is why.

I too got into both around the same time ( a few monthes ago).
    Both of those songs are kind of sung/rapped super masochistic hedonistic songs in a very blase manner under 80's influenced synths/samples.

that being said, i like both alot...and yes they are different.

comparison makes sense to me even though they don't sound alike really. hipsteR&B.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pbr&b

Woimsah said:
    hipsteR&B.

I don't hear it. What qualifies it as hipster to you? I can *kinda* see where you're coming from with The Weeknd, not because of the music but because of the way it's presented and the blog love and maybe even the cover art but Frank Ocean? Nah.

Herm said:
    Woimsah said:
    hipsteR&B.

I don't hear it. What qualifies it as hipster to you? I can *kinda* see where you're coming from with The Weeknd, not because of the music but because of the way it's presented and the blog love and maybe even the cover art but Frank Ocean? Nah.

I know blipsters, I've kicked it with blipsters, I've even been in love with a female blipster, and Frank Ocean, sir, is no blipster.

Herm said:
    Woimsah said:
    hipsteR&B.

Oh don't think I'm trying to take anything away from Ocean -- dude's dope. Love the mixtape. That question definitely opens up a massive can of worms, in regard to how I relate it to being "hipster", that would most likely go back to the dissection of the word we did on here a couple years back. It really just boils down to the aesthetic / feel of the projects. I'm sure it comes across as short-sighted / ignorant, but that term (hipster) really encompasses a vast majority of the musical efforts being put forth today from today's youth, that I'm seeing. It's my inner-old codger getting the best of me, I suppose. Just from looking at the cover art work of both and judging the material, it's sort of the sense/feel I get from both.

What's great about Frank Ocean, though, is that certainly might not be the case for many, though. It's pretty open, probably why it's getting the great feedback that it is.