THE WEEKND: Glass Table Girls

2»

Comments

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    thanks for posting this, it is wonderful, and a great counter point to frank ocean. this dude is not singing about fucking girls in a garden.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not really into all of these mousy voices that people are currently celebrating. Folks were complaining left and right about Akon and T-Pain and their use of autotune just a few weeks ago...and now those same people seem to be digging voices that to me sound autotuned, just without the autotune. Funny how that works.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Not really into all of these mousy voices that people are currently celebrating. Folks were complaining left and right about Akon and T-Pain and their use of autotune just a few weeks ago...and now those same people seem to be digging voices that to me sound autotuned, just without the autotune. Funny how that works.
    teenagers making teenager music is cool with me. they sound mousy partly 'cause they're kids. akon is almost forty.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    and now those same people seem to be digging voices that to me sound autotuned, just without the autotune. Funny how that works.

haha.
    i was just noticing that same thing listening to the weekend on the ride in this morning.

Lets coin a new phrase:

Not-o-Tune
    verb
    To sing like you have been auto-tuned when you actuallyhavent been auto-tuned.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    1. Neither artist mentioned in this thread is a teenager.
    2. Frank Ocean is more of a hippie than a hipster, in both aesthetics and disposition. There doesn't seem to be a cynical bone in dude's body and he wears kufis unironically.
    3.The Weeknd makes very bad music.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I still ride for the album but then I don't really see the comparisons with Frank Ocean (which I love). In my Private Mind Filing System I see The Weeknd more as morose indie pop than RnB. I have developed a tolerance for this kind of thing and like it for what it is but I wouldn't expect anyone coming at it from a purely RnB viewpoint to like it, especially if it's put up against Frank Ocean or, especially, The-Dream.

By the way, not trying to stir more shit that's calmed down but:

yeah this shit is hot garbage. it took them one week to do what it took dream 3 years & they have one one thousandth his gift for melody or phrasing, and sorry this production eats ass. how many years did it take tricky to go from jt money's solo album to getting big name production credits?

Reads disturbingly similar to what some people were moaning about in the Odd Future thread ("these guys didn't even battle" "where's their years of hardship"). Didn't think it was valid in that thread and don't think it's valid in this one. Who really cares if it took ten years or ten minutes? Part of the joys of modern music and its distribution. IMHO.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Yup. I like this one.

It's the great Soul Strut divide 2011!! lol
    It's on the better end of the clothing store soundtrack spectrum imo.

deej said:
    R&B for people who dont like R&B
    Excellent assessment.

Goodness knows I've tried...different times of the day, different moods and settings, but I am left cold by the Frank Ocean.

noz said:

2. Frank Ocean is more of a hippie than a hipster, in both aesthetics and disposition. There doesn't seem to be a cynical bone in dude's body and he wears kufis unironically.

I guess this is why.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I originally downloaded the Weeknd LP on the strngth of the glass table cut, but after a few days the whole album (and sound) has been really growing on me - also, yeah, I don't really like R&B.

b/w
    I do not know who Frank Ocean is. Where do I start?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I just became familiar with "The Morning" (from a source more tuned-in w/indie rock & synth pop than r&b, mind you) and I really like it despite it being overly referential and extremely post-Drake.

I suppose I am an R&B fan, if that means anything.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Junior said:
    I still ride for the album but then I don't really see the comparisons with Frank Ocean (which I love). In my Private Mind Filing System I see The Weeknd more as morose indie pop than RnB. I have developed a tolerance for this kind of thing and like it for what it is but I wouldn't expect anyone coming at it from a purely RnB viewpoint to like it, especially if it's put up against Frank Ocean or, especially, The-Dream.

yeah this shit is hot garbage. it took them one week to do what it took dream 3 years & they have one one thousandth his gift for melody or phrasing, and sorry this production eats ass. how many years did it take tricky to go from jt money's solo album to getting big name production credits?

Reads disturbingly similar to what some people were moaning about in the Odd Future thread ("these guys didn't even battle" "where's their years of hardship"). Didn't think it was valid in that thread and don't think it's valid in this one. Who really cares if it took ten years or ten minutes? Part of the joys of modern music and its distribution. IMHO.
    this is a misunderstanding. i'm more concerned about how 'alternative marketing' shortcuts ppl's discernment of quality. I posted about the-dream & repped for it on this board & it was all 'controversial.' most ppl were shitting on it. by the 2nd album, folks were jumping on board in big numbers.

this stuff doesn't have to deal with that, because its marketed like an indie record. my issue isn't that the weeknd arent 'experienced' enough -- im not sure that hustling for a few extra years would make the guy a better singer -- but that people are so willing to let extra-musical concerns help them decide what they like / listen to

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Maybe this will help the voice thing Harvey was complaining about?

http://www.depositfiles.com/en/files/0by5hjduk

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I couldn't work out what the difference was between these two different downloads. Can someone clarrify?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    deej said:
    Junior said:

this is a misunderstanding. i'm more concerned about how 'alternative marketing' shortcuts ppl's discernment of quality. I posted about the-dream & repped for it on this board & it was all 'controversial.' most ppl were shitting on it. by the 2nd album, folks were jumping on board in big numbers.

this stuff doesn't have to deal with that, because its marketed like an indie record. my issue isn't that the weeknd arent 'experienced' enough -- im not sure that hustling for a few extra years would make the guy a better singer -- but that people are so willing to let extra-musical concerns help them decide what they like / listen to

Ah ok, got it. Don't know if i think that's the case in this particular thread but understand where you're coming from.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    deej said:
    I posted about the-dream & repped for it on this board & it was all 'controversial.' most ppl were shitting on it. by the 2nd album, folks were jumping on board in big numbers.
    'Cause the 2nd album is way better.