Pepper Spraying An 8 Year Old Yay or Nay

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Colorado police are defending their decision to pepper spray a crazed 8-year-old after the boy threw a violent tantrum in his classroom and threatened people with a sharp weapon.
The boy, identified only as Aiden, had been threatening, spitting and cursing at teachers in his second grade classroom in Lakewood, Colo., on Feb. 22 when schools officials called the cops.
When police arrived, the pint-sized perp was wielding a sharp piece of wood trim he had torn off the wall and was trying to stab teachers with it, cops said.
"I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them," the boy later told Colorado's KUSA television. "I was going to try to whack them with it."
Cops ordered the boy to drop the stick, but the boy refused, shouting, "Get away from me you f---ers!" police said.
Officer then sprayed the boy with two doses of pepper spray and handcuffed him.
Aiden's mom, identified as Mandy, said that the boy had anger issues and that it was the third time teachers had called the cops after one of his tantrums.
Police spokesman Steve Davis defended the police.
"Our officers had to do something to diffuse the situation in a hurry before someone got hurt," Davis told KUSA.
"I think the officers made a great choice that day in choosing the pepper spray," he added.
Aiden's mom said her son was treated like "a common criminal."
"I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's 8 years old," she told the station.
Mandy said the boy was transferred to a school with behavior problems and had been seeing a doctor.
"I got like anger things," Aiden said. "It's just who I am. I think it's not ever going to go away."

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I Have worked in Lakewood for over 10 years and i can, without pause, heartily endorse pepper-spraying everyone in this city under the age of 12. And then, once they turn 12, we should start using something stronger.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yikes. keep an eye on that kid.

i think the only other option would be to get physical. whats worse?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    sounds like the mom is just reinforcing this behavior.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, hell yes. Most kids needs a good pepper spraying from time to time. I'd also support tasing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'd also support tasing.

sounds like a great street dvd, like bum fights, but its disorderly youths being tased by the man.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I work at a place where these kinds of kids are sent...I wish I had pepper spray some days, but I also know it is entirely possible to place a kid like this in a hold that will cause him to drop a weapon and keep him from getting away. The cops took the easy way out, if 2 grown men cannot approach a kid and subdue him then they are pretty shitty cops.

that said, Yay for the teacher given the right to do so...ya gotta a class of kids to teach, dont let one kid ruin that...put him out of commision and get him outta your room. You have to get rid of the audience for a kid that does shit like this. Get him the fuck out of the classroom.

Hell, there wasa group of 13-year-olds slapboxing and talking way too loudly on the train yesterday afternoon that I would have gladly tased myself.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    jaymack said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I'd also support tasing.

sounds like a great street dvd, like bum fights, but its disorderly youths being tased by the man.

Reality TV Show

TASE CRAZE - Volunteers get tased starting out with low voltage and slowly increasing it until the player hits the ground. The player who can withstand the highest voltage wins. (Disclaimer: No one with an IQ over 60 was hurt in the filming of this show).

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Point blank, if he wasn't doing what he wasn't supposed to this wouldn't have happened. I say it's more of the mother's fault. If he's bad, straighten his ass out. If its a problem the kid has, get him help.

The_Hook_Up said:
    I work at a place where these kinds of kids are sent...I wish I had pepper spray some days, but I also know it is entirely possible to place a kid like this in a hold that will cause him to drop a weapon and keep him from getting away. The cops took the easy way out, if 2 grown men cannot approach a kid and subdue him then they are pretty shitty cops.

that said, Yay for the teacher given the right to do so...ya gotta a class of kids to teach, dont let one kid ruin that...put him out of commision and get him outta your room. You have to get rid of the audience for a kid that does shit like this. Get him the fuck out of the classroom.

In your experience can an out of control 8 year old do much harm to an adult?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Reality TV Show

TASE CRAZE - Volunteers get tased starting out with low voltage and slowly increasing it until the player hits the ground. The player who can withstand the highest voltage wins. (Disclaimer: No one with an IQ over 60 was hurt in the filming of this show).

Do you mean JACKASS?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/08/national/main4586103.shtml

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    sometimes I whish I could pepper spray my one year old.

Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

the biggest harm that would be difficult to defend would be getting bit.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    If its a problem the kid has, get him help.

I think kids are being over-medicated in this country generaly speaking, but this kids might need some chill pills.

Also, where's the dad? (absence of a father could be the root for some of the anger.)

And yeah I don't think the cops were that out of line. Maybe just lazy.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the kid is named Aiden for gawdsake

put him on death row already

• kemskems 120 Posts
    I'm definitely not mad that got pepper sprayed especially since this was the third time the cops were called due to this kid's behavior, but it's really hard to believe that the cops weren't just lazy as hell. There is no way you can tell me that two grown men can't take a sharp stick away from an 8 year old kid.

jjfad027 said:
    If its a problem the kid has, get him help.

I think kids are being over-medicated in this country generaly speaking, but this kids might need some chill pills.

Also, where's the dad? (absence of a father could be the root for some of the anger.)

And yeah I don't think the cops were that out of line. Maybe just lazy.

you can help a kid's behavioral problems without medication...boundaries, structure, consequences...usually when a kid this young gtets out of control it is because he has none of the aforementioned things in his homelife. I am willing to bet this kid is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants to at home..parenting fail.

University of Minnesota Spankological Protocol

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    sabadabada said:

University of Minnesota Spankological Protocol

Awesome gif

"I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other. Now that's psychiatry!"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Its certainly bad PR and I'm sure a talented child therapist could have talked this brat down peacefully, but since there didn't seem to be one on the scene and this kid sounds like a straight asshole anyways, the verdict: Spray away!

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!"

sabadabada said:

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!"

one of my fave simpson's quotes

Keeping it musical....

Not too long ago I was in a store and a kid that was probably about 8 years old was running around yelling loudly and he actually went up and punched a woman who was a stranger to him. All the while the mother is not doing a damn thing. As they were leaving the store he yelled out "Sayanara N***ers" and looks over at me. I gave him a pretty mean look and he ran over to the Mom, grabbed her leg and said "That man's being mean to me".

More parenting fail.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    "Aiden's mom said her son was treated like "a common criminal." "

Well, at eight years old he already is.

"Mandy said the boy was transferred to a school with behavior problems"

Great, now he's going to a school that has behavioral problems, a lot of good that's going to do.

"I got like anger things," Aiden said. "It's just who I am. I think it's not ever going to go away."

Then you are going to go away, most likely to jail.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have so much respect for teachers and mostly (low paid) aides, who work with children with behavioral problems.
    They deal with these kids every day, with out pepper spray or the police, and in most cases make progress in getting the children to modify their behavior.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    the kid is named Aiden for gawdsake

put him on death row already

Exactly.
    And someone please tell Mandy to lay off the meth when attempting her next breeding effort.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    isn't Aiden a new poaster here?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Got it strut, an adult who gets arrested for the third time committing a lewd public act, don't even mention that as he needs maximum protection so his lil feelings don't get hurt, but an 8 year old acting up in class, bring out the bazooka and nuke him...awesome!