K.R.I.T.

slotbeggazzslotbeggazz 288 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
the troof

Comments

• mentionin cormega was really tight he forgot nature tho, at least in my book.

• compare that narduwar interview to lil b's and realise who will save hiphop ;)

*edit* im all for lil b's "positive message" game tho...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The first time I seen this dudes name I was thinking King Brit. Btw, what does his name, Big K.R.I.T., mean?

• Breez said:
    The first time I seen this dudes name I was thinking King Brit. Btw, what does his name, Big K.R.I.T., mean?

keeping rap in tents?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    King Remembered in Time.

• I like dude just fine, but every time I listen to him, I think:

"Can't spell K.R.I.T. without T.I."

hogginthefogg said:
    every time I listen to him, I think:

"Can't spell K.R.I.T. without T.I."

Sorry, but...U out yo damned mind, bruh.

• You don't hear a whole helluva lot of Tip in his music?

hogginthefogg said:
    You don't hear a whole helluva lot of Tip in his music?

In a vague, they're both from the Souf sorta way, yes. But beyond that, no. I think Krit naming UGK, Scarface, 8ball and MJG, and Three 6 Mafia in Dreamin' covers it a long way before TI ever comes up.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

In a vague, they're both from the Souf sorta way, yes. But beyond that, no. I think Krit naming UGK, Scarface, 8ball and MJG, and Three 6 Mafia in Dreamin' covers it a long way before TI ever comes up.

Truthfully, I had way more "problems" with the constant Outkast references and the Pimp C persona than that bit of T.I. in his style. But god damn if shit like "Time Machine" isn't good. And using that Roy Ayers/Casual sample now? I can't front.

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    juss listened to country shit remix with luda and bun b. coulda been better.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I hear more Juicy J (especially in some of the hooks) than anything TI.

First time listening to the Country Shit remix and Krit's verse started and I was like aw man he didn't record a new verse and then bam. Huge smile on my face.

• deathvalley90210 said:
    Breez said:

keeping rap in tents?

karaoke retards, imitate this

• novocaine132 said:
    deathvalley90210 said:
    Breez said:

keeping rap in tents?

karaoke retards, imitate this

gold

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The album is amazing.

Kool-aid doesn't Run In These veins.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

That's exactly the problem with this dude--his music is a poorly executed facsimile of stuff those dudes were doing ~15 years ago.

It is totally derivative and really no better than that of NYC-oriented backpackers.

I cannot imagine sitting around and listening to this stuff. Boring. I am surprised you ride for it, Robert.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    u are right but also sell him short

stuff like 'time machine' & 'kings blues' transcend that & are just solid rap jams regardless of influence. he can hit on some touching stuff too. mad overrated bcuz of what he 'represents' but he has made some great music

the t.i. influence was extraordinarily strong on 'the last king' tape --

tell me this isn't some straight T.I. style spitting--

but imo he's left that behind. he still has the pimp c thing. when he gets 'personal' it tends not to sound too much like pimp tho, cuz pimp wasn't as much of an introvert. krit is less convincing when he gets callous like pimp so he channels dude i think

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This dude is the future?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    This dude is the future?

Who said that? I just reread this thread and didn't see anyone make that claim

Or did you mean "IS this dude the future?" If so, I'd say no. He just makes good, enjoyable music.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Herm said:
    batmon said:
    This dude is the future?

Or did you mean "IS this dude the future?" If so, I'd say no. He just makes good, enjoyable music.

Is he the "truth"?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:
    This dude is the future?

Is he the "truth"?

Depends who you ask. If you're asking me, define "truth."

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    deej said:
    u are right but also sell him short

stuff like 'time machine' & 'kings blues' transcend that & are just solid rap jams regardless of influence. he can hit on some touching stuff too. mad overrated bcuz of what he 'represents' but he has made some great music

the t.i. influence was extraordinarily strong on 'the last king' tape --

but imo he's left that behind. he still has the pimp c thing. when he gets 'personal' it tends not to sound too much like pimp tho, cuz pimp wasn't as much of an introvert. krit is less convincing when he gets callous like pimp so he channels dude i think

I agree with pretty much all of this. And I admit to chuckling at Harvey posting up a Big K.R.I:T. song-- complete with a Goodie Mob/2Pac acronym--as proof that hip hop is still vibrant. Fresh like '95.

I wasn't too crazy about KRIT wuz Here ("why listen to this, when I can listen to x do it better"). But I enjoy this new one a whole lot. It may be derivative, but dude's sincerity, production prowess and energy never let it feel stagnant.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    For what it's worth, I can tell you all that folk down here in the South seem pretty excited about K.R.I.T. And, why not? The dude has strong lyrical content, makes his own beats, and the joints knock! I had my doubts about this new release. How could it live up to the hype and expectations of the first one? Surprisingly, it does.

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    This dude is the future?

Some moron in the other recent KRIT thread did predict that he would "save hip-hop"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Had a couple of listens through it now. I still think I prefer krit wuz here at the moment though this album seems tailor made for when the spring/summer properly kicks in. Sounded so much better when played in the sunshine and warm weather at the weekend.

All in all there's some really good songs on here but to me it all feels, for want of a better description, a bit safe. I can see why he's being championed so hard as he's done a decent job of going down that middle road and appealing to fans of both dungeon family era and modern TI/later UGK material but it hasn't really floored me at any stage yet while krit wuz here just all sounded a bit rawer. Personal preference I guess.

faux_rillz said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

That's exactly the problem with this dude--his music is a poorly executed facsimile of stuff those dudes were doing ~15 years ago.

It is totally derivative and really no better than that of NYC-oriented backpackers.

I cannot imagine sitting around and listening to this stuff. Boring. I am surprised you ride for it, Robert.

Color yourself extremely out of touch. I, and many others, know exactly what we like from rap music, and Krit delivers it on all cylinders. Plus, he's not a facsimile in my mind in any way. He's influenced by a bunch of artists we already like, but doesn't do it exactly like any of them. The people who say he's copying TI or Pimp C or whoever are merely lazy listeners IMO.

HarveyCanal said:
    faux_rillz said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Color yourself extremely out of touch. I, and many others, know exactly what we like from rap music, and Krit delivers it on all cylinders.

LOLOLOLOL