Let's talk re-edit!

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

more so adding a full drum track, sampling sections and such.. it to me becomes either a remix, or a new jam.
    im just defining this based on real remixes of the past and of course house and hip hop....
    ive said this before....
    we/ people dont call dj sneak or armand van helden, todd terry, maw, etc etc.. records where they sample/loop up a 2/4 bar sections...filters and drop a drum track over it...edits. they are referred to as straight up jams.
    by todays standards and this blurred definition, the bucketheads "bomb" would be a great example. thats not an edit..sorry.

this term is thrown around constantly with other current tracks using the same techniques.
    trusme being a currant example.
    for hip hop, it would be anything under the umbrella of a sample with a drum track. this definition is just wrong, and would reclassify everything that has already exists.
    i think its important to define whats what.

totally agree on all that. i've heard a lot of people call trusme's tracks edits and that's crazy talk, those are full tracks. i blame the brits, i think they started the umbrella "edit" moniker for all tracks based on disco tunes these days...

and thanks re: tavares, i agree about the track, it's half deep boogie-ish disco and half philly sound. there's a wav dl on my soundcloud if you wanna grab it for your sets.

• re reading some of my posts... typing fast, it seems as if english isnt my 1st language.
    ill grab the wav. thanks

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    more so adding a full drum track, sampling sections and such.. it to me becomes either a remix, or a new jam.

by that definition, these two would be remixes i guess:

i still liked the term edit more, because i didn't feel like i produced anything there myself. i just mixed in drum loops (and slight fx), just to make already perfect tracks work better in the mix or the clurb...

despite there being a lot of unnecessary edits out these days (soundcloud is full of them), this thread has been full of gems - thanks!

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    tavares are from cape cod ma

actually New Bedford, but yeah. great thread, enjoying all the music posted. carry on...

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    bboyparkz said:
    Just a heads up the Black Cock edits getting mentioned in this thread are in the Juno sale at the moment for ??1.40 each.

wow, thanks parkz i've just ordered the whole lot. the original presses go for money these days (those are the represses)..

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=black+cock
    Thanks for the heads up. I ordered 7 and including freight to Oz was $40. Score

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    re reading some of my posts... typing fast, it seems as if english isnt my 1st language.
    ill grab the wav. thanks

By the way Kon, missed out on this one on your blog:

http://playin4keeps.blogspot.com/2008/06/summer-time.html

Now the link is dead. Any chance of a re-upload?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    nutricious said:
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

by that definition, these two would be remixes i guess:

i still liked the term edit more, because i didn't feel like i produced anything there myself. i just mixed in drum loops (and slight fx), just to make already perfect tracks work better in the mix or the clurb...

despite there being a lot of unnecessary edits out these days (soundcloud is full of them), this thread has been full of gems - thanks!

Jared at Big City put your re-edit (remix) of the Dorando tune on a cd he made me, good stuff, also the Bill Withers tune sounds awesome.

peace,xavier

• haze25 said:
    Jared at Big City put your re-edit (remix) of the Dorando tune on a cd he made me, good stuff, also the Bill Withers tune sounds awesome.

peace,xavier

awesome! glad you like em too...

t.

• while we're here;

just threw up another one

Osibisa - keep on trying (whiskey barons edit) by flavorheard

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Some of my favs...

Plastic Bertrand - Stop Ou Encore (Ron Hardy Edit)
    The Pointer Sisters - Send Him Back (Pilooski Edit)
    Bottin - Stork (an edit of "Starchild")
    MFSB - Love Is The Message (Danny Krivit Re-Edit)
    Joubert Singers - Stand On The Word (Larry Levan Radio Edit)
    Rene & Angela - I Love You More (Mr.K Edit)
    Michael Jackson - I Can't Help It (Tangoterje Edit)
    Elvis Presley - Crawfish (Pilooski Edit)
    Ethel Beatty - I Know You Care (U-Tern Edit)
    Gary's Gang - Let's Lovedance Tonight (Danny Krivit Re-Edit)
    Michael Jackson - Pretty Young Thing (Demo) (U-Tern Edit)
    Nightlife Unlimited - Peaches & Prunes (Ron Hardy's Re-Edit)
    Paul McCartney - Lonely Nights (U-Tern Edit)

• nutricious said:
    haze25 said:

peace,xavier

awesome! glad you like em too...

t.

Played the Dorando edit out Saturday night, people went bonkers.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    amphibious said:
    while we're here;

:feelin_it:

Nice one, duder.

• i found so much great stuff in this thread - thanks everyone! it got me motivated to share some things that i've found useful:

Concept Neuf - The Path (eric roberts edit) by funway incursion

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    b o m p
    Get Lifted Georrge McRae dL edit by Decades

quick edit i threw together tonight, has the ODB drums added lightly in the intro and outro. free 320 bit download

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    dj friendly reedit (with intro and outro)

Hot 8 Brass Band - Sexual Healing (Hobo D edit) by HOBO D

things done changed

Nairobi Afro Band Soul Makossa dL flute edit by Decades

where are the other edits at?

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    More of a remix than an edit. Secret style... :shh:

Odyssey - Inside Out - Kaushik M. Remix final by Kaushik M.

Milton Wright Keep It Up dL edit by Decades

Cotton Candy ??? Havin??? Fun 2Dave Edit by Decades

Milton Wright was an edit I made for myself, but have put it up for free download. The Cotton Candy edit was an edit we made for the Dj Code Time and Place mix a while back, I need to ask Code if I can put a download link for this one.

• amphibious said:
    while we're here;

This is really good. I also majorly dig your Orchestra Poly Rhythmo remix - I want to hear more like that one!

b/w

Does anybody have a cheeky dl of Todd Terje's flip of Madeline Bell's that's what friends are for?

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    got mucho love for the whisky barons edits.

here's one of mine from a while back:

Acid (KidGusto Re-Edit) by KidGusto2

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    More a remix than an edit of a proto disco/disco rock song:

Fine Like Wine Party Breaks - Well Kept Secret by finelikewine

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    dennis-bovell-jazterpiece-dope-as-funk-edit

pretty nice edit I was hipped to here!

Gary Bartz Music Is My Sanctuary (RIP Fonce Mizell) dL edit by Decades

I managed to delete the start up disk for my mpc so I cant make beats at the moment which means i have been getting busy with edits lately, this is one i think I have a touch over 50 up now

• Yo dudes, a couple people had sent me messages asking about the JB "there was a time" edit that was floating around, just wanted to let y'all know that it's out on 10" vinyl now.

http://soundcloud.com/whiskeybarons/whiskey-barons-james-brown

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    it bums me out that re-edits pretty much TRUMP original productions for so many people these days.. i find it kinda sad... and as a result i tune them out almost completely...

Im sure there's some talented cats makin em.. but gimme some OG productions SVP!!!!

• Dubious said:
    it bums me out that re-edits pretty much TRUMP original productions for so many people these days.. i find it kinda sad... and as a result i tune them out almost completely...

Im sure there's some talented cats makin em.. but gimme some OG productions SVP!!!!

I'm spending a lot more time on original productions than edits, but edits are great promotional material, and in a time when no one is buying music it's tough sometimes to justify dropping loot on studio time / session players / etc.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    This is some edit I made recently. One of the heaviest beats on Amiga I knew so far but with a terrible hook, that's taking way too much space. Free DL if you feel it.

• Really digging your edit Che. Copped the download.

I've been listening to a lot of edits by The Reflex lately his stuff is fire.