ever gave up on a artist after meeting them?

Comments

• Ayrotollah77 said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Aceyalone.

co-sign. dude was a dick to me. i got a real black supremecist vibe ( actually from several of the good life guys but i guess no surprise there).

My homegirl who's a real dope beat boxer did a small set at his show and he invited her back to the hotel to smoke. But she said he ended up hitting on her real aggressive like (she's white) and got all ass hurt when she wouldn't give him no play..

Ya don't say.

• A certain label dude asked me for ??10 for a taxi after id just given him ??4000 for the gig. My friend informed him that he could just take it out the ??4000 in his hand but i gave him it and with that he lost all respect.

POSITIVES

James brown - Came up and shook out hands after djing at his London gig, i Surprised at how weak his handshake was.

Terry Callier - We chatted about his albums and talked about IT work, he was warm and genuine person.

• the_dL said:

rhetmattic (although he may have just been very wasted)

rhettmatic and the whole beat junkie crew were some of the humblest dudes I have had the pleasure of meeting!

• are these dudes (aceyalone, del, et al) assholes on a regular basis, or were they just being assholes bc they had their period, a bad day, herpes acting up, etc.??

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    GOMontes said:
    are these dudes (aceyalone, del, et al) assholes on a regular basis, or were they just being assholes bc lil dudes be jocking them.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    GOMontes said:
    are these dudes (aceyalone, del, et al) assholes on a regular basis, or were they just being assholes bc lil dudes be jocking them.

yeah, must be hard having fans

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    lol this kid i knew back in the day was back stage at brand nubian concert and he offered to smoke them out. they said lets see what you got and they walked off with his whole bag.
    i blame him for being a dickhead.

another time the roots asked him to deliver a half pound and he got held up on the corner before getting to their spot.

I was recently at the same pub as Jessica Alba. Heard later that a couple different random dudes tried to approach her. Guess what? She wasn't exactly nice about it.

I remember one time at Angels spring training trying to get an autograph from Reggie Jackson. Guess what? He was a total dick about it.

Not saying that an Aceyalone or Del are anywhere near as coveted as Alba or Mr. October, but what the fuck do y'all expect from these people?

You catch them when they are likely busy as fuck, they don't know you
    ...and you expect them be all brotherly love with you?

Get over yourselves already.

generally alot of these encounters seem to be at shows where the opportunity arises to meet artists. i say it's on the artist to go hang out at their hotel if they don't wanna be annoyed by male groupies. dip the fuck out.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    jammy said:
    generally alot of these encounters seem to be at shows where the opportunity arises to meet artists. i say it's on the artist to go hang out at their hotel if they don't wanna be annoyed by male groupies. dip the fuck out.

But you're infringing on their line-up-the-puccini time. I get what you're saying, and I mostly agree, however I don't necessarily fault an artist -- who may very well be: tired, sleep deprived, drunk, high -- for being gruff or less than forthcoming. But, it's really not too much to ask for from a fan's perspective to ask for a little tact, though even that goes out of the window after deflecting the tenth fanboy you run into while trying to make your way to cutie who gave you the eye from the crowd.

I was at a Black Elvis-era Kool Keith show once and Keith was spotted outside walking to his bus. This friend of mine, who was in his 30s at the time, was in from out of town and we were in the middle of our goodbyes before bro basically ran away without a word to try to get Keith's autograph. Left me feeling a little raw, but I don't blame Keith or his ultra-magnetic gravitas, only my "friend" who needed to get his nudie magazine signed.

yeah, basically there is a time and a place and it's a very fine line to be stepping.

• jammy said:
    yeah, basically there is a time and a place and it's a very fine line to be stepping.

naw,i disagree. this is the entertainment business. if you don't want to be bothered,stay home! if i bought your record,t-shirt,& concert ticket,you'd BETTER give me some love. period.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I had a little debate w/ Daddy-O from STET. He asked me if i thought Heavy-D circa Teddy Riley production was Hip Hop. It was a Real Schitt question. I answed yes, and dude gave me the GTFOH face.
    I wasnt mad at him for questioning my outlook, but on the next album(Blood, Sweat, and No Tears) those cats were incorporating R&B as well.

I can seperate an exchange w/ an artist from thier actual artwork.

This is an overchurned idea of asshurtness.

cuthbert151 said:
    jammy said:

naw,i disagree. this is the entertainment business. if you don't want to be bothered,stay home! if i bought your record,t-shirt,& concert ticket,you'd BETTER give me some love. period.

You brought his art. Demanding love is foolhardy.

The artist alraedy put in work for the listener. Hours in the studio, sleeping on buses, and dealing with contracts. I dont need a face to face acknowledgement. Ive alraedy gotten satisfaction from your art, and thats all thats needed. A fuckin worthless autograph is icing and not compulsery.

• i paid for mix tapes/cd's from dj cash money and dj tat money and never got anything after repeated requests(and i was real cool with both of those guys). i'll still buy there stuff but not from them.

heiro-nicest guys in the world
    cold crush bros-cool as hell(except for easy ad)
    whodini,tribe,pharcyde,puts,beat junkies,x-men,george clinton,wu-tang,krs-one,dmc,steve d,furious five,roots,erykah badu,speech,lenny williams,cypress hill,jazzy jeff,biz,coke la rock,faith evans,da brat,premier,just ice,ice-t,jazzy jay,digable planets,common,black sheep,de la soul,fugees,bobby brown,planet asia,kut master kurt,numark,percee p, all cool people.

• some of my favourite music was created by known. world-class assholes.

• batmon said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    jammy said:

was it foolhardy of them to want me to show them love by supporting their art?

• cuthbert151 said:

it is not the role of the artist to literally coddle their audience.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In my experience most (and I emphasize most) ultra talented musicians do not have the greatest social skills and/or had life experiences that do not lend themselves to being polite and gracious.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    cuthbert151 said:

the role of the artist is not to literally coddle their audience.

of course not,don't be silly. but if i ask for an autograph then i should get it. you don't seem to understand that there was a time when these artists wished someone would ask for an autograph. then,after they get a little fame they wanna get big headed??!! please.

Why do you need an autograph as an adult? Maybe if Joe Dimaggio somehow walked through the door, but Da Brat?

• cuthbert151 said:
    if i ask for an autograph then i should get it. you don't seem to understand that there was a time when these artists wished someone would ask for an autograph

i don't see why or how you are owed anything at all other than a musical performance. also, why presume that every person who gets involved with music is interested in being adored, glad-handed or hounded for a signature (that may or may not wind up on ebay or whatever). some musicians are uncomfortable with that shit and i don't blame them- does that mean they shouldn't be making music and venturing out in public?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Fans are not entitled to anything from the artist just because they choose to buy the artist's music, art, book, etc.

Given the ebay, etc. madness, I can see why some artists - bigger ones especially - are hesitant.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    really though, he was way more into talking about video games than music.

Del used to come in to Game Masters sometimes. My friend said he came in stoned as hell one day and bought everything in the store Shinobi related.

cuthbert151 said:
    batmon said:
    cuthbert151 said:
    jammy said:

If you expected anything more than the product, yes.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    ain't nothing like ass-hurt fans
    funny thread

• HarveyCanal said:
    Why do you need an autograph as an adult? Maybe if Joe Dimaggio somehow walked through the door, but Da Brat?

wow.out of all of those artists you chose to point out da brat? funny.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Haven't had too many negative musician experiences...Had a great experience with Jurassic 5 when they were on the Warped Tour in 2001. They were just chillin in their little tent, happy to ham it up with anyone and seemed genuinely appreciative of the support. Got em all to sign the back of a J5 t-shirt for me (yes, signatures are nerdy, but its a cool memento).

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    So I guess all the nice artists who take time to acknowledge the people who buy their shit and are responsible for their success are "soft".

The_Hook_Up said:
    So I guess all the nice artists who take time to acknowledge the people who buy their shit and are responsible for their success are "soft".

There's a difference between "acknowledging the people" and agreeing to smoke dirt weed with a stranger who wants to introduce you to his girlfriend but will get all asshurt if you're too nice to her.