ever gave up on a artist after meeting them?

Comments

• pasepase 89 Posts
    y'all shou've gotten in the battle, it was 10G's.... you were almost as good as the wackest dude.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Dennis Millers private jet

dude has his own plane?!

• del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

i know i have others but i can't remember them just yet.

I don't find anything wrong with del's statement.

well this was back when everyone was like "heiro are the freestyle gods!!!", "nobody can fuck with them when it comes to freestyling!!!".
    kinda put that shit into perspective for me. i still like his first two albums although i dont listen to them much presently.

we all know by now that freestyling is pretty much just bullshit rhyming on the mic (mumbling)

see that movie "freestyle" for further proof.

right, like i said this was around 10 years ago. i dont hate the dude, just aint checking for him anymore. to tell the truth, my not checking for him has more to do with his musical output since then than anything else. his statement just really put the whole freestyling thing in perspective for me.

btw pase, you and jon need to hit up austin for some shows. i bet yall would get a good response there. i would say houston where i live but nobody goes to shows here really.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Dennis Millers private jet

dude has his own plane?!

that was the most shocking revelation for me in this whole thread too! how can dennis miller afford his own place??

• Aceyalone.
    Saafir.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Saafir.

first dude that popped in my head.

on the other hand, I have that picture from the station with me, you, jlee, empanadamn and 'tigo with the whoridas.

good shit.

• Mix master mike

Met him after a show and he was a total dick. heard that from other people
    too...

Del also had a fist fight with a skateboarder friend of mine about 10 years ago
    because he was fucking with one of his other friends... supposidly because he
    was a white kid skating at his park... (I was not around at the time, so this is a
    2nd hand storybut the dude is not a liar in my experience)

Funny cause he has about a 98% white fanbase

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Mix master mike

you sure he wasn't just on acid???

• Maybe the aliens who land in his backyard told him about me...

I never really got along with those little fuckers...

• Sounds like Percee P.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I engineered a some sessions with DMX and posse,I didn't like his steez before during or after.
    Stuck Up Rich Conceited High Speed Drivin car crashin False Identity presentin'Aggressive Pistol Packin' Brainless Whore Lovin' Crack Hed.
    He needs Multiple passes to nail one sentance.
    No FLOW at all.
    The meaning of PRO TOOLS FRANKENSTEIN

Not that Ive seen him live or celebrate his catalogue, but his video on the chapelle show wa n-v-t-s nuts. I thought he had an amazing live flow, energy and voice.
    Why the disparity??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Sounds like Percee P.

Percee P is one of the nicest dudes i've met.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Honestly? I've never met anyone in person that I was disappointed by but keep in mind, my dealings have almost always been in an interview context and most folks tend to be on their better behavior.

Not-in-person, obviously the whole Jean Grae thing is just plain silly and seriously makes me disappointed in her dour lack of humor.

I've never met Paul in person - just a phone interview. He's a dick?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Jeru

My homie Frank was at one of his shows in NY and was with some folks backstage and walked up to him and said "yo I'm a real big fan, just wanted to say wassup" Jeru looks him up and down (dude's spanish but looks white) and says "you don't look like no fan of mine" Lame part is Frank is fuckin duder than dude, one of the coolest nicest guys I've ever had the privelege of knowing.

I still like (some of) his music though but as a person dude came off like a piece of shit.

he was probably just in shock b/c it was the first time in 10 years someone told him they were "a real big fan"...

• prince paul
    paul was one of the coolest dudes i've met

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Aceyalone.

co-sign. dude was a dick to me. i got a real black supremecist vibe ( actually from several of the good life guys but i guess no surprise there).

del tha funkee homosapien

no fair that was gonna be my pick.

but i'd say my giving up on him was also related to the fact that he started making terrible horrible no good records around the same time.

I met dude and he was cool as fuck. BUt yeah, horrible records man.

...this reminds me. I was once hanging out with both Del and MC Paul Barman at a show in Philly years back. Del was cool, but Paul was acting really high and mighty. I remember thinking to myself 'who the hell is this guy?'. And I also remember him asking Del: 'sooo um, when are you going to check out my act? um maybe later huh? huh?'. Del: 'yeah dude maybe next time, peace'.

co-sign. barman was a dick to me.

Aceyalone.

co-sign. dude was a dick to me. i got a real black supremecist vibe ( actually from several of the good life guys but i guess no surprise there).

That's funny since a friend of mine (white woman) was hanging out with him on a photo shoot and he kept trying to tap that.

del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

i know i have others but i can't remember them just yet.

I don't find anything wrong with del's statement.

well this was back when everyone was like "heiro are the freestyle gods!!!", "nobody can fuck with them when it comes to freestyling!!!".
    kinda put that shit into perspective for me. i still like his first two albums although i dont listen to them much presently.

we all know by now that freestyling is pretty much just bullshit rhyming on the mic (mumbling)

see that movie "freestyle" for further proof.

right, like i said this was around 10 years ago. i dont hate the dude, just aint checking for him anymore. to tell the truth, my not checking for him has more to do with his musical output since then than anything else. his statement just really put the whole freestyling thing in perspective for me.

I had a totally contrary experience. around the time "no need for alarm" came out and i was really into it, I approached del while he was filing records at Leopold's on Telegraph (real Berkeley headz know the deal). i told him how much i was feeling the album and he was like "yeah I basically freestyled that whole thing." i was like . In hindsight he was probably exagerating, but at the time I actually came away with more respect for dude.

really though, he was way more into talking about video games than music.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Jeru

My homie Frank was at one of his shows in NY and was with some folks backstage and walked up to him and said "yo I'm a real big fan, just wanted to say wassup" Jeru looks him up and down (dude's spanish but looks white) and says "you don't look like no fan of mine" Lame part is Frank is fuckin duder than dude, one of the coolest nicest guys I've ever had the privelege of knowing.

I still like (some of) his music though but as a person dude came off like a piece of shit.

he was probably just in shock b/c it was the first time in 10 years someone told him they were "a real big fan"...

nah, this was at the height of his popularity, between his first and second albums. Shit disappointed me to no end.

Just to put this all in perspective...I don't give up on artists just because they're not Mr. and Ms. Congeniality. I mean, Marvin Gaye and Miles Davis both had reputations for being complete assholes at times. I don't like their music any less for it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Aceyalone.

co-sign. dude was a dick to me.

Ha - I ran into dude at The Breaks (back when Root Down was @ Pedro's) and asked him if it's true that Juice or Rhymefest or one of those "Chi Dudes" had served him.

He got all mad and shit and stormed off so I guess it must've been true.

Aceyalone.

That's funny since a friend of mine (white woman) was hanging out with him on a photo shoot and he kept trying to tap that.

no contradiction there, odub - but that's for another thread!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Aceyalone.

Ha - I ran into dude at The Breaks (back when Root Down was @ Pedro's) and asked him if it's true that Juice or Rhymefest or one of those "Chi Dudes" had served him.

He got all mad and shit and stormed off so I guess it must've been true.

I'm sure they both did at some point

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Aceyalone.

isn't that every rap dude? ESP. the ones who have songs about not fucking with women who aren't black... i'm not naming names, but i've heard stories...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Del also had a fist fight with a skateboarder friend of mine about 10 years ago
    because he was fucking with one of his other friends... supposidly because he
    was a white kid skating at his park... (I was not around at the time, so this is a
    2nd hand storybut the dude is not a liar in my experience)

lol @ del in a fist fight with anybody. dude is like five foot nothing and 80 lbs soaking wet.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've only had good experiences. Sam Beam was as humble as he comes off on record. Edan was dude. Howard Tate was cordial & signed my LP. Bo Dud was spacey but a real gent. Sage smoked me in ping-pong, but was nice about it.

On the (ostensibly) literary tip, I went to a Dave Eggers book signing soon after "A Heartbreaking Work" came out. In retrospect, it should have been no surprise that he came off like a totally self-absorbed prick that I wanted to kick in the nuts right under the signing table. But I liked the book until then. I guess he's too busy making fun of foreigners trying to speak English or editing Icelandic literati anthologies to stop masturbating. A real urethra.

Paled in comparison to Arundhati Roy (long hair phase) in person. I tried to plan out some kool line while waiting in queue, but just breathed an "Idon'tknowwhatelsetosay,sothankyou" thing as she looked right into my eyes and straight through the back of my head. Sweet Lord God.

• I'm not the biggest Big Star or Alex Chilton fan but when I met Chilton I wanted to smack his rude ass. What a fucking prick! (For your information) His shit smells better than yours. If I was a big fan, meeting him would have crushed it.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Rootless, sorry Paul was a dick to you, he was a dick to me too- for six weeks straight.

I met Dave Eggers a few times and he drew funny pictures for me at a garage sale and a book signing, he was super cool.

PASE ROCKA, I'm bummed I missed Scribble this year, when are you gonna holler at SD?

Rootless, sorry Paul was a dick to you, he was a dick to me too- for six weeks straight.

I met Dave Eggers a few times and he drew funny pictures for me at a garage sale and a book signing, he was super cool.

This surprises me not at all. Based on his memoir, eggers totally sounds like someone who'd treat a cool lady a lot better than a cool dude.