Shook Ones Sample Source

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Dudes over at The Breaks figured it out, is that the last big sample that was left?

i alway wanted to know the source for "Bring It On" by Jay on Reasonable Doubt myself.

Whatever.

peace,xavier

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This is awesome. I'm sure some lame-os will be like "yaaaaawn" but when it comes to this stuff, once a sample nerd, always a sample nerd.

b/w

I KNEW it wasn't To Sir, With Love.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Herm said:
    This is awesome. when it comes to this stuff, once a sample nerd, always a sample nerd.

Co-sign.

b/w

Is there a mobb deep only sample mix similar to Primo's Bakery?

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    is someone gonna let me know or do i have to take that sh*t to the breaks dot com...

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Hancock, Herbie
    V.S.O.P Quintet(1977)
    * "Jessica"
    Moob Deep - Shook Ones Part 2 (piano)

http://the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54558
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/87910102b9af93b2/

• what is it?
    no way it's to sir with love.

peace, stein. . .

• Just realized that's a record that got lost over the years. I wonder what happened to it. ... or is he joshin'?

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    wow.... great track!

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    It's pretty ill what Havoc did with that too (obviously)...

• still not convinced.

peace, stein. . .

youngEINSTEIN said:
    still not convinced.

If the original by itself is not enough to convince you, just listen to the mp3 recreation posted above. ("It's the beginning. He pitched it very slow [9 semitones down]. Then you take the second part (like 4 seconds after the first note) --
    There are two parts, which he pitched differently.")

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    None of the recreations get the pitch right, but it sure sounds like the correct sample!

Mjukis said:
    None of the recreations get the pitch right, but it sure sounds like the correct sample!

I slowed it down by 9 semitones, played it on top of the instrumental and it sounded close enough to me. Besides, I don't think Havoc would have been too concerned with pitch-perfect tuning at that point.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Yep, it's defenitley it. I always knew it wasn't the to sir with love ost.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sounds like there weren't enough notes chopped out of the sample but I would put money on it being the original source.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    damn that was ill i was hoping someone would figure this out eventually....not surprised that the sample is from a Herbie joint...

• Diggin said:
    Herm said:
    This is awesome. when it comes to this stuff, once a sample nerd, always a sample nerd.

Co-sign.

b/w

Is there a mobb deep only sample mix similar to Primo's Bakery?

Made this a while ago, so obviously no 'Shook Ones Part II' in it ->

• now that i know this bit of information i can now go on with my life like it didnt matter anyways, which it doesnt.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    now that i know this bit of information i can now go on with my life like it didnt matter anyways, which it doesnt.

So every bit of information you take in must matter in your life? That sucks

FortyFivan said:
    speakmumbles said:
    now that i know this bit of information i can now go on with my life like it didnt matter anyways, which it doesnt.

So every bit of information you take in must matter in your life? That sucks

I think he means his life doesn't matter. Soooooo emo. Cheer up, buckaroo!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Diggin said:
    Hancock, Herbie
    V.S.O.P Quintet(1977)
    * "Jessica"
    Moob Deep - Shook Ones Part 2 (piano)

http://the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54558
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/87910102b9af93b2/

:cool:

• i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 isnt going to change your life..and if it does you have problems.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 isnt going to change your life..and if it does you have problems.

Of course it's not going to change anyone's life, but that doesn't make it any less interesting to find out.
    Duderonomy

speakmumbles said:
    i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 isnt going to change your life..and if it does you have problems.

Cheer up, buckaroo!

• speakmumbles said:
    i think i meant finding out what samples havoc used in 1995 is going to change your life..and if it does you have dedication.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    are you all saying no one (well except Havoc) knew about this until now ?

• Thanks for posting. I always like finding out samples. I'd still like to know Mobb Deep - Eye for an Eye (Your Beef is mines. There's also a ton of early stuff from RZA that's not known from the Raekwon, Method Man, ODB, Ghost, GZA albums that isn't known.

It's also funny how people have Uber raer crates but nobody knew Ice Cream and Shook Ones , and they end up being from an Earl Klugh and Herbie Hancock records.

p.s. ameldabee i didn't know you posted on here, I'be listening to those sample mixes on youtube for like the last two weeks. They're done very well. Especially like the Mobb Deep and Beatnuts. I Look forward to hearing some new ones.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    FunkyFlatulent said:

It's also funny how people have Uber raer crates but nobody knew Ice Cream and Shook Ones , and they end up being from an Earl Klugh and Herbie Hancock records..

^^ this is what more or less surprises me...it seems odd that it took all this time for someone to stumble across it especially given that Herbie has been sampled many times...and its not a rare or expensive record either..

• FunkyFlatulent said:

p.s. ameldabee i didn't know you posted on here, I'be listening to those sample mixes on youtube for like the last two weeks. They're done very well. Especially like the Mobb Deep and Beatnuts. I Look forward to hearing some new ones.

There you go Sir, my latest, full of new ish'/samples -> http://soundcloud.com/ameldabee/sets
    Not me putting the mixes on youtube though...

Ps : sorry for the thread hijack ; and I bought that V.S.O.P.'s LP years ago, and never ever heard that loop till today, crazzzy...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I now take a dump much easier (Less straining) knowing this.

You watch, a without the bells will show up and we can finally shut down the breaks and the strut.

Uncover this one next please: