What's your favorite Tequila?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central

Just incredible. Triple distilled Highland Agave. They use a technique that uses twice the amount of Agave than most other brands and the result is truly amazing and elevates this tequila into a league of its own. Great bottle design as well.

Has a fine herbal note and is perfect after a large dinner.
Makes a perfect Margarita.
I don't use Triple Sec but make my own citrus liqueur by soaking (green if you can get them but at least organic) orange and lemon peels in half the bottle of tequila for about 1-2 hours (not longer or it gets bitter due to tanins being deluted from the peel by the alcohol - you only want the aetheric oils that give the flavor). Squeeze lime juice into a pither full of ice, add the tequila from the peels through a cotton cloth and the rest of the tequila from the bottle, add sugar cane sirup according to taste. Stir and taste while doing this so you can make sure don't make it too sweet.

There are a lot of great Anejos but you won't be able to find anything close to this in the price range.
Keep limes or anything else away from this stuff and also from the Corzo of course.

Has anybody ever tried this stuff:

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [

Exclusively for the last 3-4 years.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Don Julio and Herradura are two of my favorites. i look forward to trying the Cazadores.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Frank said:

There are a lot of great Anejos but you won't be able to find anything close to this in the price range.

I'll have to disagree here. This can be found for less than 40 a bottle and is excellent. Definitely competes with Cazadores. It's great for sippin

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/anejos/don-pilar-tequila-anejo.html

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Although their common ish is crap, I have never had a smoother, more flavorful tequila than Cuervo's Mi Familia Reserve....don't let the Cuervo name scare ya off, the familia reserve is amazing.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    P.s. I read (in national geographic I think) that the world is running out of Agave...it is one of the most difficult plants to grow and it takes a long long time to grow it... The article even speculated it is possible for agave to be gone in the next 40-50 years.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Cazadores and Tres Generaciones
    I always prefer a??ejo

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    my friends call it "to kill ya" for a reason, i stopped drinking that stuff back in 96 or so after a pretty bad experience...i havent been tempted since...lol its probably why i barely drink at all..

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    my friends call it "to kill ya" for a reason, i stopped drinking that stuff back in 96 or so after a pretty bad experience...i havent been tempted since...lol its probably why i barely drink at all..

Funny when people say this. How many people have bad experiences on beer? Yet they still drink beer. I love tequila. My favorite right now in my liquor cabinet is the Gran Centenario anejo.

• Paging Odub.

• Paging Odub.

• Paging Odub.
    Attached files

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    oh man shes a troglodyte...lol

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Living in southern California has spoiled me. Being able to find cheap amazing tequila is one of the best perks I can think of for living here.

Always make sure the tequila you're getting is 100% blue agave, and made in one of the few places in Mexico where it's considered actual Tequila . The hangover/headaches you get is normally from having something that is not 100% de agave.

Also remember that tequila comes in a lot of different variations, but most popular are silver, reposado or anejo. Each one tastes very different

my top five tequilas are ones that are easy to sip by themselves so...:

1. Don Julio 1942 (The smoothest and considered one of the best....I love this)

2. Orgullo Anejo (about $40 here in Cali and very tasty)

3. San Matias Tequila Anejo Gran Reserva (here in Cali it's the best deal for one of the best quality smooth tasting tequila's)

4. Fortaleza tequilas (in America) or Los Abuelos (in Mexico) (Sooo good and each type is very fun and easy to sip)

5. 4 way tie. Either Paqui, 1519, Arette or Casa Noble

Frank said:

I have, and any Mezcal tastes like firewater. I've tried a couple of that brand's offerings and I think it's quite good but oh my God it's spicy!!!

Frank said:

I have, and any Mezcal tastes like firewater. I've tried a couple of that brand's offerings and I think it's quite good but oh my God it's spicy!!!

• Casa Noble Crystal!!!
    Attached files