Knives (NRR)

2»

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you want to do just basic sharpening I highly recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

It's a pretty dummy proof system for sharpening, and you can do plain edges, serrated knives, scissors, etc. Takes about 10 minutes to learn how to use it and it can bring a dull blade back to life in no time at all. The only issue you may have is that it is designed more for pocketknives, so the sharpening angles may not be optimal for food prep. However, I use mine on my (admittedly low end) kitchen knives all the time with no problems. Don't buy it from Spyderco's site though, you can get it much cheaper on Amazon.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I thought the whole point of the Globals was the edge was different. Sharpening by hand defeats that purpose no?

I use this to sharpen mine,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinkansen-220-GB-Minosharp-Universal/dp/B00005OL3L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299674055&sr=8-2

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Rich45s said:
    I thought the whole point of the Globals was the edge was different. Sharpening by hand defeats that purpose no?

I use this to sharpen mine,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinkansen-220-GB-Minosharp-Universal/dp/B00005OL3L/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299674055&sr=8-2

Japanese knives are like blank palettes, you decide what edge you want to put onto it. The knife won't be ruined just because you put a different edge on.

You can put a much bigger convex edge by employing a sharpening technique called hamaguriba (clamshell). It's mainly suited for single bevel knives but it is an advanced technique that is beyond most.

Pull through sharpeners work in the sense that your knife will be sharper, but it'll never come close to the sharpness achieved via the stone. They do remove more metal off your knife also, shortening your knife quicker. However, for a home cook, it's an ok substitute as it's better than leaving your knives completely dull like most people. The wheels inside these gadgets tend to dull quickly so they'll have to be replaced after a period of time (1 yr?).

Spydercos are a good option for home users that don't want to deal w/ the hassles of waterstones. Again, your knife won't get as sharp, but it works. They approach 2000 with the finest grit rod I think.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Some of my knives were over 20 years old. I rarely, if ever, sharpened them with a stone (thou when I did shoe repair I kept all my work knives razor sharp) just the honing steel.
    So they were real dull.
    I had them professionally sharpened. It was quick, not too expensive, and he did a great job.

In other words, yes you can sharpen them at home, but you can also easily get them sharpened professionally.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I love sharpening with the stone and I get a high from having a sharp ass knife. It helps when you are breaking down hundreds of chickens and fish. I felt like Zoro in class.

This thread is top notch.

Question...should I take in my Global to get it sharpened at Sur la Table? They say it is safe, but I feel weary about it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    elise said:

Question...should I take in my Global to get it sharpened at Sur la Table? They say it is safe, but I feel weary about it.

For what it's worth, as I was looking around for a good sharpening spot, I heard a lot of negative feedback about Sur La Table (the one on 4th St. in Berkeley), including allegations that they just run your knives through one of those electric sharpeners.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    elise said:

For what it's worth, as I was looking around for a good sharpening spot, I heard a lot of negative feedback about Sur La Table (the one on 4th St. in Berkeley), including allegations that they just run your knives through one of those electric sharpeners.

I figured that much. I've also wondered about the people who sharpen knives out of their trucks at the Farmers' Markets, too. I just don't trust strangers with my knife.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    For people serious about knives, it's really worth it to learn how to sharpen it yourself.

You don't need expensive equipment and it's not that hard.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    elise said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    elise said:

I figured that much. I've also wondered about the people who sharpen knives out of their trucks at the Farmers' Markets, too. I just don't trust strangers with my knife.

I use a woman named Margery Cohen, who sets up at the Chelsea Market two days a week.

She has restored two knives for me that were badly damaged by a total hack.

Her website says that she comes out to the Bay twice a year (usually March and August) to do sharpening:

http://www.samuraisharpening.com/schedule.html

Margery Cohen has been sharpening knives since 1974 when she worked at a fish market on the New Jersey Shore. After ten years of working in various fish markets and a move to The Bay Area, she joined master woodworker, Ray Nitta's business, Samurai Sharpening Service in 1984 at the Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, CA.

Shortly after that, Nitta moved back home to Kauai and Margery took over the business. She sharpened at that location for 12 years before her move to New York City where she opened Samurai Sharpening Service at The Chelsea Market in 1997. 2009 will mark the 25th anniversary of Samurai Sharpening Service.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    elise said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    elise said:

I use a woman named Margery Cohen, who sets up at the Chelsea Market two days a week.

She has restored two knives for me that were badly damaged by a total hack.

Her website says that she comes out to the Bay twice a year (usually March and August) to do sharpening:

http://www.samuraisharpening.com/schedule.html

Margery Cohen has been sharpening knives since 1974 when she worked at a fish market on the New Jersey Shore. After ten years of working in various fish markets and a move to The Bay Area, she joined master woodworker, Ray Nitta's business, Samurai Sharpening Service in 1984 at the Berkeley Bowl in Berkeley, CA.

Shortly after that, Nitta moved back home to Kauai and Margery took over the business. She sharpened at that location for 12 years before her move to New York City where she opened Samurai Sharpening Service at The Chelsea Market in 1997. 2009 will mark the 25th anniversary of Samurai Sharpening Service.

Wow, thank you! I will be looking into this. Plus, it is a wonderful excuse to finally go to the Berkeley Bowl.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Aser,

You have made this thread absolutly essential.

Thank you.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    Aser,

You have made this thread absolutly essential.

Thank you.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Finding a trustworthy knife sharpener is like finding a barber or tailor. People are fiercely loyal to their choices, it's like a marriage.

Best suggestion, before sending your knives in for sharpening is to ask lots of question.

1. Do you sharpen Japanese knives differently than Germans?
    2. Do you use water stones?
    3. Do you use a grinding wheel with no cooling properties?
    4. What grit rating do you sharpen up to?

I would suggest you avoid any sharpeners that strictly use a grinding wheel. The heat generated in the process can ruin the original tempering of the knife. This excess heat can cause the steel to change properties, making it brittle, soft, etc.

The two best sharpening options in N. America are...

http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/

http://www.korin.com

Best way to test your knife's edge? Just drag it through newspaper with a pulling motion. If it goes through the entire edge smoothly, then you're fine.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts