Original emo rappers

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Nowdays there is a wide assortment of emo/asshurt raps from the likes of Eminem, Atmosphere, Living Ledgends...etc

What are some early examples of emo raps? Biz?

Who was the first?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall..."

"Don't, don't hurt me again..."

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I sit alone in four corner room starin' at candles

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Last Poets. Them dudes were always whining about politics or social injustice or some shit.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    LL Cool J - I Need Love

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    jdeez said:
    LL Cool J - I Need Love
    "When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall..."

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    woops. i quickly read it and thought harvey was quoting the Geto boys song (naturally) MY BAD!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I Need Love was not EMO. That was a certified panty dropper move.

THIS is emo:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    I Need Love was not EMO. That was a certified panty dropper move.

^^sweet as a dove

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    I associate the word emo..with something negative..but all these tracks summed up here, are some of my favourite tracks or were at some point.
    I need love is the shizznit.
    especially the part ; here i was...(giggling about the game) haha too dope!

emo:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Jamal said:
    I associate the word emo..with something negative.

You sound emo.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jamal said:
    I associate the word emo..with something negative.

You sound emo.

i am.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    A lot of old school rap groups had some mad sappy emo love songs on their albums.........

Can someone explain the difference btwn Love raps and Emo?

Is it Depression Love songs/Introspective vs just straight love raps.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Emo rap is not necessarily limited to love rap. Although love rap can range from pantydropper to babymommadrama to justcan'tgetoveryou, emo rappers such as Eminem like to waambulance about virtually everything: dysfunctional childhoods, lack of a father figure, being poor, being rich, etc. Emo imo implies at least a hint of whine, an edge of anger and an underlying base of discontent. Otherwise it would just be called "sad" music.

"Emo" is an abbreviation for "emotional," but pretty much all music evokes some type of emotion.

Almond said:
    Emo rap is not necessarily limited to love rap. Although love rap can range from pantydropper to babymommadrama to justcan'tgetoveryou, emo rappers such as Eminem like to waambulance about virtually everything: dysfunctional childhoods, lack of a father figure, being poor, being rich, etc. Emo imo implies at least a hint of whine, an edge of anger and an underlying base of discontent. Otherwise it would just be called "sad" music.

"Emo" is an abbreviation for "emotional," but pretty much all music evokes some type of emotion.

Thank U.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

I originally heard the word emo in the early 2000s used to describe fashion. In HS, we called the kids with the choppy haircuts, heavy eyeliner and DIY, safety-pin-adorned garb "emo." I think the new word is "scene." Sort of post-punk fashion; the ugly fashion rites many current hipsters went through to get where they are today.

Okay, back to emo rapps.
    I haven't come across any true emo rap. Eminem is really the only rapper that comes to mind. Most rappers exhibit a certain degree of braggadocio, or at least pride, whereas emo outfits such as Bright Eyes write bleeding heart music. Even with political rap or gangsta rap, there has been this long running motif of glamorizing less-than-ideal situations (such as violence in g-funk/gangsta rap), reclaiming or redefining circumstances ("ghetto-fabulous") or emphasizing the nouveau riche aspects of rap stardom while reminiscing about one's roots. I think hip-hop's tradition has been too proud and forward-looking for something like emo rap to get any decent footing. Maybe it'll be the next big thing, who knows?

• Somewhat but not really-related, I recently had a conversation with a friend about the fact that the most thuggiest, gangsta ass, fightin' ass dudes I know are also the most sensitive, emo-ey ones, though they'd NEVER admit it. Kinda reminds me how "Eff A B*tch" dudes like Nate Dogg are the same ones to flip out and do crazy jealous sh*t when their girlfriends break up with them.

True. It seems as though those who feel they have the most pride and thuggishness to uphold are also most likely to feel most sensitive about any perceived slights. However, in a lot of post-punk emo, there is sometimes a lack of pride with lyrics about self-destruction and whatnot. Bottom-of-the-bottle type ish. I had my fair share of emo in my HS newspaper room.

• So what is the definitive album of all time ?

• Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    So what is the definitive album of all time ?

too easy (graemlin-r)

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Almond said:

I originally heard the word emo in the early 2000s used to describe fashion. In HS, we called the kids with the choppy haircuts, heavy eyeliner and DIY, safety-pin-adorned garb "emo." I think the new word is "scene." Sort of post-punk fashion; the ugly fashion rites many current hipsters went through to get where they are today.

Okay, back to emo rapps.
    I haven't come across any true emo rap. Eminem is really the only rapper that comes to mind. Most rappers exhibit a certain degree of braggadocio, or at least pride, whereas emo outfits such as Bright Eyes write bleeding heart music. Even with political rap or gangsta rap, there has been this long running motif of glamorizing less-than-ideal situations (such as violence in g-funk/gangsta rap), reclaiming or redefining circumstances ("ghetto-fabulous") or emphasizing the nouveau riche aspects of rap stardom while reminiscing about one's roots. I think hip-hop's tradition has been too proud and forward-looking for something like emo rap to get any decent footing. Maybe it'll be the next big thing, who knows?

So..another label? just what the world needed.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Nate Dogg

Almond said:

Okay, back to emo rapps.

I think there was a shift, cause dudes despite their swagger still talked about themselves and society back in the day. The Message even if it wasnt fully intentional has elements in Duke Booties lyrics that seem more introspective and organic vs. the intentional politicized Social Raps that come about in the late 80's.

My brother's doing bad on my mother's TV
    She says: "You watch it too much, it's just not healthy!"
    "All My Children" in the daytime, "Dallas" at night
    Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight
    The bill collectors they ring my phone
    And scare my wife when I'm not home
    Got a bum education, double-digit inflation
    I can't take the train to the job, there's a strike at the station
    Neon King Kong standin' on my back
    Can't stop to turn around, broke my sacrophiliac
    A mid-ranged migraine, cancered membrane
    Sometimes I think I'm going insane, I swear I might hijack a plane

Tupac was someone who IMO helped solidify the Modern Introspective Style or Proto-Emo Rap if we play this game. Dear Mama might not have that White kid "whoa is me" thang but it he pushed new buttons w/ that one.