Which Dead Musician Had The Biggest Future Ahead Of Them?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
There are many, many musicians who died too young.....

Which of these do you think would have acheived even more fame than they had if they had not died?

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Funnily enough was thinking about this the other day (slow day-r) though was thinking more about their overall impact and quality of subsequent releases than just world fame. Every time I ended back with Otis Redding. Guy was still only 26 when he died, had laid foundations to move into a more 'pop' sound and, obviously guessing here, was unlikely to burn out quickly creatively wise if what happened next at Stax is anything to go by (even though I realise that some of what subsequently happened at the label was only due to the gap that opened up after the plane crash).

• Bobby Fuller. He seemed so focused on his craft that even if he didn't become a major player, he may have had a few more years of good records in him.

The thing about Fuller is that he died right when the music business was about to make a major paradigm shift (1966) - the psych movement was about to change the scene. While he lived long enough to see it happen (he dismissed it as a fad), he held on to his short hair and Buddy Holly-inspired sound. It would have been interesting to see how he would have dealt with the changes.

Sam Cooke. He seemed so focused on his craft and already was a major player at the time of his death.

The thing about Cooke is that he died right when the music business was about to make a major paradigm shift (1964) - the soul movement was about to change the scene, and he was a major reason why. While Stax, Motown and the Chicago performers were already making inroads during his lifetime, they didn't really blow up until after he died. It would have been interesting to see him mentor an Otis Redding or a Curtis Mayfield.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Bobby Fuller. *******

Sam Cooke.

These were two of the first three names I thought of......but I figured if I was going to go with Fuller I might as well just take Buddy Holly.

Sam Cooke is my frontrunner right now.....would have been great to see what he would have done if he walked down the 60's Marvin Gaye/Donny Hathaway path.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aaliyah

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Jimi Hendrix because his music was starting to change direction just before he died.

• Clifford Brown

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    batmon said:
    Aaliyah

What about Donny Hathaway?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    batmon said:
    Aaliyah

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Nick Drake.... so many Nick Drake sound-alikes out today and dude was a nobody when he was alive.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Jeff Buckley

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Jeff Buckley

• eric dolphy
    scott lafaro
    glenn goins

• What about Donny Hathaway?

Frankly, it's hard to tell with a guy who had been off the scene for years when he passed. He wasn't exactly cut down in his prime (although he was about to make a comeback, from the looks of things).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    James Brown. His auto-tuned comeback would have been huge!

• Lee Morgan (was goin' to have the status of Miles Davis if he was still alive or did make it until the '90's), Grant Green, Baby Huey & indeed as mentioned before: Nick Drake

• Rockadelic said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Bobby Fuller. *******

Sam Cooke.

These were two of the first three names I thought of......but I figured if I was going to go with Fuller I might as well just take Buddy Holly.

I thought about that too, but decided to go with Fuller.

See, if Holly hadn't gone down in that plane crash, I could still see him having at least four or five more years of hits just as he was.

However, the scene might have passed Fuller by if he didn't seriously modify himself in some way.

Fuller's world would have changed a lot more dramatically than Holly's did.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Charlie Christian

• Junior said:
    Otis Redding

Aaliyah

and Buddy Holly. i have a very odd friend who thinks that Paul McCartney is Buddy Holly, plastic surgery. he has an elaborate story to go with it and he twitches when he tells it.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    on a rap tip:

Big L

Cougnut

Kid Hood

• jinx74 said:
    on a rap tip:

Cougnut

Dude had the voice for rap. No one sounded like him.

• jinx74 said:
    on a rap tip:

Cougnut

• jinx74 said:

Big L

there was alot bubbling for him right before he was killed

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    jinx74 said:
    on a rap tip:

Kid Hood

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    2pac

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    jinx74 said:
    on a rap tip:

Kid Hood

I dont think one verse is enuff to gauge whether dude was going to have a 5 album solo career.

And judging from BIG L's first album im hesitant to think he would have grown out of the Hardcore set and survive during the Bling era. I dont know if he had the support that Biggie and Jay-Z did to make that adjustment.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    jinx74 said:
    on a rap tip:

Kid Hood

I dont think one verse is enuff to gauge whether dude was going to have a 5 album solo career.

And judging from BIG L's first album im hesitant to think he would have grown out of the Hardcore set and survive during the Bling era. I dont know if he had the support that Biggie and Jay-Z did to make that adjustment.

That Scenario rmx verse was hard enough to make me want to hear more from dude and that never happened due to his death esp with him possibly rocking w/ Tribe at their apex dude could have been major IMO. I am including him whether he would have dropped one EP or five LP's.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    batmon said:

the songs big l was dropping before he died (ebonics, the heist, flamboyance) werent very hardcore.

if people are gonna mention all these obvious names, ill say i was always very curious what couldve come from kurt cobain. if he wouldve made it to the session with michael stipe that month, i wonder what wouldve come out of those sessions

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Nick Drake.... so many Nick Drake sound-alikes out today and dude was a nobody when he was alive.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sam Cooke.

George Gershwin.