TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• Okem said:
    Milan are a shockingly ordinary these days. & have been ever since we comprehensibly took them apart, in the CL, the year after they'd won it. Italian football really must be in trouble if they're the best they can offer.

I hadn't seen any Italian teams since Inter last year and I was amazed at how mediocre Milan looked. Where exactly were Robinho and Ibrahimovic? Flamini and Gattuso should have been sent off, too.

Didn't they review the European places last season and reduce the number of Italian teams in favour of German teams? (I could probably just google that...)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    musica said:
    Classic Ibra fail.

Ha, came here to post that this morning.

Dirty dirty play by Milan and thoroughly deserved to get beaten. Be an interesting second leg if a lot of the injured players for Milan (and the couple for Spurs) are back in contention.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Okem said:
    Italian football really must be in trouble if they're the best they can offer.

LOL, Briddish dudes. FYI the World Cup is 3 years away, you don't want to your confidence to peak too early.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    neil_something said:

Didn't they review the European places last season and reduce the number of Italian teams in favour of German teams? (I could probably just google that...)

I think PL's 4 places are purely down to the success of Man U, plus some left over pre-ban Liverpool points.

The Spurs game seemed like a vintage European Cup grudge match. Milan don't like it up em. Or they only like it up em a certain way.

• SportCasual said:
    I think PL's 4 places are purely down to the success of Man U, plus some left over pre-ban Liverpool points.

Hmmmmm... so nothing to do with the fact that English teams (including Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool) have consistently made the final or semi-finals in the past ten years.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Yeah that was close, he almost got away with giving Man United some credit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Paul said:

That was an intentional wind up but it is still more thanks to ManU's consistentcy than the fact that Arse/Pool/Chelsea no longer get relegated to the UEFA Cup every year.

I nearly wrote that Spurs fans should praise the genius of SAF but then realized there are no Spurs fans on here. Unless of course they get to the final!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Bendtner scoring a goal was a grave tactical error in that match if I remember correctly!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    neil_something said:

I was just about to post that. Gutted.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    neil_something said:

I haven't finished looking at the pictures yet. Something about football?

• SportCasual said:
    Paul said:

I nearly wrote that Spurs fans should praise the genius of SAF but then realized there are no Spurs fans on here. Unless of course they get to the final!

Tottenham fan right here.

Well played Arsenal - Wilshere was terrific, he got put in some pressure situations from passes tonight and kept his head. Second half he just got better. Koscielny and the keeper were great too.

badder_than_evil said:
    Wilshere was terrific, he got put in some pressure situations from passes tonight and kept his head. Second half he just got better. Koscielny and the keeper were great too.

English Xavi? He was better than Xavi. We got better once Walcott was taken off. He and Eboue both lost possession too often. In the return leg we should have Sagna back, and perhaps start with Bendtner or Nasri on the right and Arshavin on the left.

Still, the so-called best-team-ever just took a bloody nose. Can't wait for the return game.

Up the Arsenal!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Nice, started watching properly in the 2nd... Arse stopped playing like an All Star B team for once and went for it. Arshavin could probably score more if he wasn't such a ballwatcher.

Congrats to L'Arse. Despite the best attempts by Tyldesley and Townsend to convince me otherwise I actually thought the game went pretty flat after the opening twenty minutes and ended up switching over to Roma V Shakhtar which was a great first half. Did switch back for the second though and the last ten minutes were very entertaining indeed.

No idea why he didn't start with Arshavin as, like all temperamental talents, he's always going to step up his play for the big Euro games. Walcott kind of underlined that he's still best used in these kinds of games as an impact sub. If they'd played Bendtner since the beginning there would have been a lot more point in the floated balls into the box. Maxwell looks like their weak point and should be charged at in the second leg.

Have to say though, while you always need a bit of luck in these kinds of games, a valid goal being disallowed plus two clear penalty shouts being turned down probably saved Arsenal from getting destroyed in the first half. Still, what goes around and all that....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    neil_something said:

would smash it.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ah, what an excellent start to a new page.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Junior said:
    Congrats to L'Arse. Despite the best attempts by Tyldesley and Townsend to convince me otherwise I actually thought the game went pretty flat after the opening twenty minutes

As a fan, it was tense stuff. Not flat at all!

No idea why he didn't start with Arshavin as, like all temperamental talents, he's always going to step up his play for the big Euro games. Walcott kind of underlined that he's still best used in these kinds of games as an impact sub. If they'd played Bendtner since the beginning there would have been a lot more point in the floated balls into the box. Maxwell looks like their weak point and should be charged at in the second leg.

I think Wenger got the tactics spot-on. Walcott's pace scared the Barca defence (they give him more respect than he's due to be fair), and stretched play, and during that first half, Theo often came to the rescue defensively - Maxwell had the measure of Eboue (more on him later) a few times, and knocked it along the line only for Walcott to scamper back and disposess.
    Walcott's biggest contribution to the game was to work the Barca defenders.

Eboue looks overweight. He hasn't been a regular starter this season and needs to shed some pounds, but ironically this could be why he appeared to put in a more conservative performance... in his first few seasons he was always looking to bomb up-field on the overlap. Last night he didn't have the legs, and lost possession trying too many failed runs, but he was at least were he needed to be, albiet sucking air.

Have to say though, while you always need a bit of luck in these kinds of games, a valid goal being disallowed plus two clear penalty shouts being turned down probably saved Arsenal from getting destroyed in the first half.

Messi was offside. The shot ricocheted off the keeper, and then off the Barca player - making it a forward pass - to Messi, who was offside. Excellent, excellent (but probably jammy) call from the linesman. Arshavin's backheader was suicidal, and the ref played advantage on a possible handball call, but we rode our luck.

The turning points for Arsenal were Barcelona taking Villa off and putting Keita on as this invited an attacking substitution from Wenger, and removing Alex Song, who more than ever looked like a centre back playing in midfield. Against Prem opposition he is immense, but he always hangs onto the ball just too long, and he can't scuttle about the pitch as well as Denilson, who to his credit made an immediate impact in last year's game against Barca when he set about the Barca midfield and seriously disrupted their possession. Song probably shook them up with some rough tackles, but little else, as his type of ball-winning involves disposessing runners, winning headers, and sheilding the ball.

Aaron Ramsey, if he fully recovers his pre-Shawcross form, should partner Wilshere in the middle. May not happen in time for the return leg, but if we get Sagna back, and suffer no further injuries, I can see us winning at the Camp Nou.

And again, Wilshere. Jack f*ckin' Wilshere.

• Duderonomy said:

And again, Wilshere. Jack f*ckin' Wilshere.

I wonder if Balotelli knows who he is yet?

No arguments at all about Wilshire, had an absolutely outstanding game. I think he was the main difference compared to last year as he continuously battled and won the ball in midfield before distributing it intelligently meaning that it wasn't all one way traffic in the middle of the pitch. Particulalry important considering Cesc seems unable to shake off his current strutting diva play.

After the initial excitement had worn off (went to the pub for the second half) my Gooner mates were less than overly optimistic about their chances in the second leg. Personally I think they're better set than last year and not only because of the second goal, Barca do look open to pace at the back and the loss of Pique for the second leg (debatable yellow but as, mentioned, what goes around) will leave them in even more in a mess.

Song looked over pumped and clumsy and was fortunate to stay on the pitch. I also think while the tactics worked pretty well playing the back four so far up the pitch against the kind of pace that Barca offer was always going to be a risk and not sure if Messi will be so wasteful at the Nou camp.

I wonder how long it will be before Barcelona hail Wilshere as playing the 'Barca way', and insisting that it's Wenger's moral obligation to return him to the spiritual home of good football.

God I've got a killer hang-over today. Have a feeling that I could crap for England. Bacon & egg sandwich is in order.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I think Wenger got the tactics spot-on. Walcott's pace scared the Barca defence (they give him more respect than he's due to be fair), and stretched play, and during that first half, Theo often came to the rescue defensively - Maxwell had the measure of Eboue (more on him later) a few times, and knocked it along the line only for Walcott to scamper back and disposess. Walcott's biggest contribution to the game was to work the Barca defenders.
    Walcott has improved this season, he's our 3rd top scorer & up there with the assists too. He tore Barca apart with his pace last year. Barca are correct to give him respect, you should too.

Eboue looks overweight. He hasn't been a regular starter this season and needs to shed some pounds, but ironically this could be why he appeared to put in a more conservative performance... in his first few seasons he was always looking to bomb up-field on the overlap. Last night he didn't have the legs, and lost possession trying too many failed runs, but he was at least were he needed to be, albeit sucking air.
    I was worried about Eboue being a weak-spot, but he did really well. He played a disciplined game, sat and defended, as did Cliche for the most.
    Eboue is usually used as the more attacking RB, played in home games against side likely to park the bus. So of coarse he's going to bomb up-field. But you don't do that against Barca.

The turning points for Arsenal were Barcelona taking Villa off and putting Keita on as this invited an attacking substitution from Wenger, and removing Alex Song, who more than ever looked like a centre back playing in midfield. Against Prem opposition he is immense, but he always hangs onto the ball just too long, and he can't scuttle about the pitch as well as, dare I say it, Denilson, who to his credit made an immediate impact in last year's game against Barca when he set about the Barca midfield and seriously disrupted their possession. Song probably shook them up with some rough tackles, but little else, as his type of ball-winning involves disposessing runners, winning headers, and sheilding the ball.
    I wonder if we're watching the same team sometimes. Again, this season Songs' attacking play has been encouraged and he has flourished, improving his game again. He is arguably the best DM in the PL this season.
    LOL at calling him a centre back. How many centre backs beat Messi like this - http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2frx ?? The guy is class.

So.. as usual I pretty much disagree with your analysis. The whole team were great last night. I'm not quite sure why you need to find spurious faults with them. They just beat "The Best Team In the World". And they did it playing the Arsenal way. And NOT by parking the bus or other dubious tactics employed by lesser managers. It's a fantastic achievement.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    Would destroy it.

LOL at lesser managers. Name names or your [sic] soft.