USED TO BE HERE [NEW YORK RELATED]

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    batmon said:
    sabadabada said:
    Red Hook is still pretty gritty, maybe more empty than edgy. .

The Ikea is one spot at the very tip. What about all that crap under the Gawanus at the ened of Smith Street. It's still a dump over there isn't it?

Your right, just messin.

There are still gritty spots out there, but the artists and hipsters have been cleaning shit up since 2000.
    Red Hook is now a NYC restaurant destination.

And I dont Joe Schmoe the Photograher isnt looking to take photos of the Project Elevator Shafts.

• batmon said:

There are still gritty spots out there, but the artists and hipsters have been cleaning shit up since 2000.

The gentrification of Red Hook was a massive failure. Don't know how long its been since you've been there, but there is one street that's nice in Red Hook proper, aside from Fairway, Ikea, and tacos at the ball fields. The rest of the neighborhood is still huge housing projects, scrap yards, and warehouses.

• Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

The gentrification of Red Hook was a massive failure. Don't know how long its been since you've been there, but there is one street that's nice in Red Hook proper, aside from Fairway, Ikea, and tacos at the ball fields. The rest of the neighborhood is still huge housing projects, scrap yards, and warehouses.

there sure are a lot of parks out there.

Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

No doubt. I used to run down there in the late 90's thru '05 to pickup art from fabrication spots and artist studios.

I had a friend move there in the late 90's as well, w/ a lady friend who lived under the BQE or whatever that that highway is which wasnt Red Hook proper.
    U have to have a car to live out there. Fuck a bus or walking to the nearest train.

• sabadabada said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    batmon said:

there sure are a lot of parks out there.

They've been cleaning them up too, but they are still of the used condom and broken 40 bottles everywhere type.

• batmon said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    wants to shoot some decay / abandoned spots.

Im gonna be the asshole here.

I love me some nostalgia and old NYC too, but what the fascination?

I remember in art school a buddy(small town) of mine ran to NYC, and took photos of Homeless Folks.

Seriously?

THAT SHIT IS SO FUCKIN' CLICHE.

i think my point is that it WAS cliche. now dudes like you are the cliche out there, no?

besides, we're never too concerned with shooting people. mostly cuz we're both real uncomfortable with it. i was more concerned with shooting the city as the main character of what im doing, but its been hard to capture the city cuz every shot my dude is pulling looks like the side of a fucken nascar. but never fear, the trip was real last minute and neither of us did our research or scheduled time with folks. but its never a waste of time to be in new york. we'll be back, and more prepared next time. thanks everyone! all the info is greatly appreciated.

grandpa_shig said:
    now dudes like you are the cliche out there, no?

Fuck Compton

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Gravesend, BK

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you can't find the grimy spots without help from the internet, you don't belong there, period.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    also i live in the Bronx and i can tell you first hand that you are somewhat bugging if you cant find any grimy spots. it isn't 1982 so you're not gonna find burnt buildings but i live in a somewhat decent area and there is grime galore...

• well dudes, again, my issue was the kinda slapdash way in which we found ourselves out there. i didnt want to go because its too damn cold and fashion week isnt my thing, and my partner just went on a whim. didnt call anyone, didnt use the internet or whatevers.

its not that we cant or wont find grime. its just that we didnt have time to go find it so i asked to speed things up. its cool tho, our dudes came through at like midnight last nite so im pretty sure we'll have something. but i might have to make the trip out and do it myself. then we can all get together at this fabulous new speakeasy in green point and have organically sourced moonshine from the ozarks.

• um that will be small batch whiskey flavors to you bitch

• thats awesome! i love

1. small batches
    2. whiskey flavor
    3. you bitches

• Outer ring suburbs are the new inner city.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    I like the 1 train platform on the 168th St stop. Subway station from Ghostbusters 2 if I'm not mistaken.
    On that note, does anyone know for sure where the BT Express cover was shot? It looks like it could be Marcy J.

i think it's actually LIRR tracks in brooklyn...

• HarveyCanal said:
    If you can't find the grimy spots without help from the internet, you don't belong there, period.

You sound untraveled

• HarveyCanal said:

Our dude should just pick up the "Lonely Planet Guide to Shit Holes and Urban Decay"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    i was more concerned with shooting the city as the main character of what im doing, but its been hard to capture the city cuz every shot my dude is pulling looks like the side of a fucken nascar.

I've only been here for five months, but if you're looking to capture the city these days, the side of a Nascar isn't that far off.

• if your looking to get into subway tunnels and visit the underground and see some grime, you might wanna check this video and find this guy, i am pretty conviced he'll get you anywhere you wanna go and you see more then you were expecting..

UNDERCITY from Andrew Wonder on Vimeo.