• The answer is Tempo.

• Diwali crushes em both

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    don_gigante said:
    Diwali crushes em both
    FAIL.

-

sleng teng

although theHOG is correct Tempo vs Sleng Teng would be a better match up.

• hogginthefogg said:
    The answer is Tempo.

Co-sign! Sleng teng is cool but I could listen to Tempo way longer

• Tippa agrees with this Tempo noise. Speaking on it....

If we are talking riddim-wise, fine, whatever you like best, I like vanilla-bean better than chocolate. Tunes...hmmm. Trying to think about all these 'great' Tempo tunes? Nitty Gritty, Red Rose, even maaaaybe the Nicodemus...out of gas here. Please son me on the rest/not feeling you. Sleng Teng, the list isn't even worth typing, and can go on for days. No Sleng = No Computer Rule. Let us stop here.

• For the record, I wasn't trying to beef with Young E; Sleng Teng and Stalag are both indisputable game-changers with enough historical importance to hold their own with any riddim. That said, gimme Tempo all day! There are so many versions of this version--I think I own about 20 7"s with various Tempo re-licks--but some of my favorites are:

Anthony Red Rose "Tempo" (the original)
    Junior Tucker "Lock Me Up"
    Garnett Silk "Complaint"
    King Kong "Unity"
    Sizzla "I Love Jah"
    Everton Blender "Family Man"
    Capleton "Don't Dis the Trinity"
    Buccaneer "Chatty Chatty Mouth"
    Johnny Osbourne "No Sound Like We"
    General Degree "Pee Pee Cluck Cluck"

And, believe it or not...
    Snow "Dancing Alone"

The last one always kills, and trainspotters are always shocked when I say, "Yes, that Snow."

• if we are adding suggestions I gotta go with real rock

• You know, I thought about Real Rock, but it predates the early digital era that spawned Sleng Teng. Stalag predates that era, too, but most versions of Stalag don't.

• Okem said:
    don_gigante said:
    Diwali crushes em both
    FAIL.

-

sleng teng

although theHOG is correct Tempo vs Sleng Teng would be a better match up.

agree. i just chose stalag/sleng teng because of a symbolic passing of the baton so to speak.
    peace, stein. . .

• amphibious said:
    if we are adding suggestions I gotta go with real rock

General Riddim

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    This is a real tough one. Stalag is the classic never-fail party jam for nearly all crowds. But Sleng Teng gets me really hyped up. I call it a tie.

Selecta!

And my Tempo selection:

• hogginthefogg said:
    For the record, I wasn't trying to beef with Young E; Sleng Teng and Stalag are both indisputable game-changers with enough historical importance to hold their own with any riddim. That said, gimme Tempo all day! There are so many versions of this version--I think I own about 20 7"s with various Tempo re-licks--but some of my favorites are:

...I wouldnt buy all those (but will not dive into the Sleng Teng argument w/ example/too many new soundz here, etc.):

Garnett Silk "Complaint" - for Garnet or him on this riddim here? Garnet mostly, right?
    **FIXED** King Kong - Can't Ride Computer
    Capleton "Don't Dis the Trinity" -- YES, OK.
    Johnny Osbourne "No Sound Like We" -- Fair game.
    General Degree - rather hear 'Papa Lover' the Jungle version. Snoozy.

Just my feelings, and shit. So, Sleng Teng or Stalag?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    stalag.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Tough call. I could listen to Stalag a lot longer, but man, that punch when Sleng Teng first settles in is so serious. I'm a romantic, though, so probably Stalag.

And I have to disagree with the redoubtable (albeit Bashment Granny-endorsing) Ras Hogg regarding Tempo. It's up there, no doubt, but I always hear it as a more scattered, less engaging Stalag. I guess it depends on who's over it, but that one just seldom seems to lock for me.

Nothing to do with nothing, but what's really fucking me up right now is the "Drum Song" flip on Jim Nastic's "Chanting" version. It's such a deep, organic riddim, but there's like ten seconds toward the end where it gets skinned back and you hear just the fake parts--what sound like keyboard claps and this buzzy synth bass--before the full track comes back in. That little digi skidmark in the midst of this stately thing? Shit like that drives me nuts. I love it.

p.s.: I don't think soulstrut is really the place for this, but while I'm here: If anyone has a lead on Major Worries's "Cowboy MC" 45 (on Ffrench, possibly Romantic) and/or Pan Head's "You A Lead" 45 (on Black Scorpio), please get at me.

p.p.s.: Certain corners of Chicago nightlife get frequented by these two improbable heavily dreadlocked Italian (-American?) twins. Following a joint sighting several months back, my man and yours DCarfagna told me a "Gia Rastafari" joke, but I can't remember it.

• Stalag.

Runner up: Tonight/95% Black/Sign of the Times.