A soulstrut original: Madlib Appreciation thread !

Comments

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Soiree said:
    He's got such a wide range. Really diverse producer.
    I've heard his live show is nuts...
    BASS INTO OBLIVION!
    his versatility is one the main reasons of his cult following I think. there's something for everybody
    I saw him live for the 1st and only time last year in Paris with J Rocc and Egon
    it was a dope show.4+hrs. he played stuff from albums that came out this year and also from the Supreme Team project with Karriem Riggins and the next Quasimoto album. next time I see him I'm sneaking a camcorder in
    but I also read some negative reviews of some of his shows where he doesn't seem to give a fuck about the crowd. so I wouldn't say it's always a given

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I worked at Sam Ash here in Vegas for a quick minute. Big music instrument retailer, with a quick turnover rate. Anways, Ronnie Foster used to work the same position as me for a minute, and I would constantly stop by to shoot the shit, and here him play. When I first heard this Madlib cut. I remember trying to place the sample but I couldn't place that it was Mystic Brew.

So, I brought in my IPOD and played Ronnie this cut. His response,

"Mm.. yah I Iike Hip Hop. It's cool."

Ronnie do you recognize this?

He's like, "Yah man it's cool.."

Come on Ronnie.

"What should I know this?"

He's sampling your song Mystic Brew

"Oh yah.. oohhh yeah wow. those are my chords man I didn't really catch that. Yah I see it now. yah.. Hip hop guys love that one."

Then he went on to blab blab about the tribe called quest a story he's told me a million times. By far one of the most brilliant Piano players I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, one of my favorite people, and One of my alltime favorite Madlib cuts.

When I met Madlib that's a whole other story but.. man that felt like a conversation in space.

- spidey

• I really liked that Rells CD.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    funny story SPidey

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

I worked at Sam Ash here in Vegas for a quick minute. Big music instrument retailer, with a quick turnover rate. Anways, Ronnie Foster used to work the same position as me for a minute, and I would constantly stop by to shoot the shit, and here him play. When I first heard this Madlib cut. I remember trying to place the sample but I couldn't place that it was Mystic Brew.

So, I brought in my IPOD and played Ronnie this cut. His response,

"Mm.. yah I Iike Hip Hop. It's cool."

Ronnie do you recognize this?

He's like, "Yah man it's cool.."

Come on Ronnie.

"What should I know this?"

He's sampling your song Mystic Brew

"Oh yah.. oohhh yeah wow. those are my chords man I didn't really catch that. Yah I see it now. yah.. Hip hop guys love that one."

Then he went on to blab blab about the tribe called quest a story he's told me a million times. By far one of the most brilliant Piano players I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, one of my favorite people, and One of my alltime favorite Madlib cuts.

When I met Madlib that's a whole other story but.. man that felt like a conversation in space.

- spidey

cool story!
    when i met madlib he was so baked that he couldn't string a sentence together.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    the other day I uploaded the documentary from the Lootpack days called Packumentary
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FYS0CM7
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AXFPH1L2
    enjoy

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    damms said:

One of my all time favourites.

• not a fan of teh raps, but the beat is tight

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

10+ years later
    head-nod factor's still intact

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

this guy...
    so silly yet serious at the same time

• I heard that he got booed at that show. From what I understand dude was dropping shit randomly and speaking incoherently over tracks the entire time.

• tallbobsmoke said:
    I heard that he got booed at that show. From what I understand dude was dropping shit randomly and speaking incoherently over tracks the entire time.
    the other video supports this

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    hot mess!
    he is Ms.Hill'in his performance
    i mean i love quasimoto and he could have pulled a donuts if he stayed focused
    however he seems to have fallen off

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    pcmr said:
    hot mess!
    how can you listen to the beats in the video I posted and say that

oh you meant his live show . carry on

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yes i meant his live shows
    but when you think of it as a former huge fan i don't think i've missed much since i stopped checking for him. I someone gave me all the shit he has released since quas2 i think i could assemble a nice 80 min mix but even his YNQ was more focused than now
    compilations and remixes...when is a coherent hiphop album coming out!

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    pcmr said:
    yes i meant his live shows
    but when you think of it as a former huge fan i don't think i've missed much since i stopped checking for him. I someone gave me all the shit he has released since quas2 i think i could assemble a nice 80 min mix but even his YNQ was more focused than now
    compilations and remixes...when is a coherent hiphop album coming out!
    well when he's not Quasimoto the only hip hop albums he produces are for other rappers and he more than did that since Further adventures...: Expressions with Dudley Perkins, Liberation with Kweli, Perseverance with Percee P, Stoney Jackson with Strong Arm Steady and OJ Simpson with Guilty Simpson
    all very good to stellar works on his end
    he also brilliantly remixed Madvillainy
    I assume you don't care much about his Beat Konducta stuff, your loss !
    and those 90s archives he put out last year were succulent
    I'm sure I could make another nice 80min hip hop mix with post 2005 selections completely different than yours

oh and for his jazz experiments you should definitely listen to High Jazz he released in his medicine show series even if it's a compilation a la Yesterdays Universe, Miles Away (Last electro-acoustic space percussion ensemble.....or something) and Slave Riot (Young Jazz Rebels)

it's crazy to think that despite all this work his biggest 'hit' since has been that Badu tune
    but hey what can you do...

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    some unreleased beans

Flash non d??t??ct??

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    tallbobsmoke said:
    I heard that he got booed at that show. From what I understand dude was dropping shit randomly and speaking incoherently over tracks the entire time.
    the other video supports this

http://www.sfbg.com/noise/2011/02/08/public-apology-recommending-recent-madlib-live-dj-set

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i saw him do something similar to this a few years back. not on this level though!

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    getting this beat out of my head has been real difficult these past weeks

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    pcmr said:
    hot mess!

????

I dont think even his wife knows him that well..

and fallen off?? Damn internet makes people say extremely unreal unargumented quick judgemental harsh things so easily..at least I hope its te internet.
    also comparing dilla to madlib is also very strange..putting donuts as the ;highest to acomplish..

fallen off..pff

And with the booieng i read about above..the performance..well i think going to a concert.performance is like going to see a human being (whuut?)..not a robot..so when madlib (that the fans probably dig cause of his unconformtive stylo) thats is always trying different routes to a means..then dont go booieng just cause he's not doing what you want him to do.

• Jamal said:
    pcmr said:
    hot mess!

????

I dont think even his wife knows him that well..

and fallen off?? Damn internet makes people say extremely unreal unargumented quick judgemental harsh things so easily..at least I hope its te internet.
    also comparing dilla to madlib is also very strange..putting donuts as the ;highest to acomplish..

fallen off..pff

Couldn't agree more with you Jamal. I doubt if any knowledgeable cat would ever meet this guy and say anything of the sort to his face simply out of respect for all he's done over the years. i have so much respect for the bad kid.

& the jay dee 'donuts' comparison seems a bit off to me, since personally, & i'm sure others will agree that donuts was great but nowhere near the best shit jay dee put together, not to knock it the slightest bit as it's still one of my favorites.

i think jay was nearing his peak during the SV days, same with madlib in regards to lootpack & going on to produce declaimes illmindmuzik, & countless other projects... + he's steady evolving, still creating. so much love to to him!

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    There is gonna be a special make up show at 1015 Folsom on Monday. I will be playing records before Otis as well as Egon, and I think B Cause just got added. Could be fun.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/04/madlib_45s_mix_trash.php

14mn in sounds like YNQ covering Everybody Loves the Sunshine

• SteepSteep 31 Posts

I slept on this when it first was released. Greatest beat tape 2010 hands down. Where is his prolific output for 11? I'm expecting 22 albums.

Anybody got audio of a copy of his Orochon jazz release, "Space & Time"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_&_Time

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

:beerbang:
    there are some certified bangers on the last medicine show
    don't sleep

• SteepSteep 31 Posts
    You heard any word of #12's theme?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    nope