The Bitch Boys

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is a good place to mention my early morning revelation. Young teenage girls are the best arbiters of taste. They are the ones who first saw the genius in Sinatra, Elvis, Beatles, Jackson 5, Timberlake...

The Beach Boys are fun. Summertime, top down, cruising, fun. I don't hate it.

Yeah, Brian Wilson was pushing the limits of available technology, as were the Beatles, The Zombies, Frank Zappa and Enoch Light. Flying by the seat of their pants creating new styles is what the leaders of all new musical movements do.

Where I think the Beatles really shine to day is the pop standards that Lennon McCartney (I wont argue with any one who want to add a handful of Harrison tunes) wrote. These songs work for folk singers, jazz singers, rock, R&B, C&W...
    Is there a decent cover of a Beach Boys song? Maybe, and I am sure you all will post them, but it doesn't approach the Lennon McCartney song book.

I sold a Four Freshman record (out of the under a dollar bin) the other day. At first I was thinking Really? Then I realized it was because people who argue for the genius of the BB like to talk about how sophisticated they were incorporating Four Freshmen style harmonies into rock and roll. Yawn.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    This is a good place to mention my early morning revelation. Young teenage girls are the best arbiters of taste. They are the ones who first saw the genius in Sinatra, Elvis, Beatles, Jackson 5, Timberlake...

The Beach Boys are fun. Summertime, top down, cruising, fun. I don't hate it.

Yeah, Brian Wilson was pushing the limits of available technology, as were the Beatles, The Zombies, Frank Zappa and Enoch Light. Flying by the seat of their pants creating new styles is what the leaders of all new musical movements do.

Where I think the Beatles really shine to day is the pop standards that Lennon McCartney (I wont argue with any one who want to add a handful of Harrison tunes) wrote. These songs work for folk singers, jazz singers, rock, R&B, C&W...
    Is there a decent cover of a Beach Boys song? Maybe, and I am sure you all will post them, but it doesn't approach the Lennon McCartney song book.

I sold a Four Freshman record (out of the under a dollar bin) the other day. At first I was thinking Really? Then I realized it was because people who argue for the genius of the BB like to talk about how sophisticated they were incorporating Four Freshmen style harmonies into rock and roll. Yawn.

Wow.

• I never really cared much for the Beach Boys either way, though they had undeniable classics like "God Only Knows" and "I just Wasn't Made for These Times" that really anybody should like and appreciate.

But damn, Dennis Wison hit it out of the park with 1979's PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE. It took the limp MOR California cocaine session sound of the 70s and molded it into an intensely personal if admittedly flawed masterpiece. This is what music is all about.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I generally don't listen to songs on repeat, but "God Only Knows" got quite a few repeated listens. My question is this. Are there Beach Boys' records compare-able to Pet Sounds? And Daniella is so damn disconnected, it's sad.