The Bitch Boys

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Rather than totally hijack the over rated thread I thought we could discuss here.....

The Beach Boys were a pop band??????marketed towards teens and pre-teens and ???accepted??? by those parents who were outraged by those long-haired Beatles. And make no mistake, when both of these bands became popular they were the Justin Bieber/Hanna Montana???s of their day. Screaming 12 year olds filling Shea Stadium and buying ridiculous amounts of merchandise from dolls to trading cards, I don???t think anyone will argue for the musical genius of ???She Loves You(Yeah, Yeah, Yeah) or ???Fun, Fun, Fun???.

The problem with the Beach Boys is that they were not a very original pop band. As early as 1958 Jan Berry was on the west coast using multiple harmonies and singing about the west coast teen lifestyle. It was Jan, who hooked up with the Beach Boys some 5 years later who influenced, and some might say invented, what was to be known as the Beach Boy sound.

Capitol records played both ends against the middle and won. They had the outrageous, long-haired Beatles and the clean cut wholesome ???All-American??? Beach Boys and both found a large audience. The biggest difference between the two bands is that the Beatles grew musically and their audience grew along with them. Brian Wilson admittedly was always chasing the Beatles, trying to keep up with his label-mates even though it was his solo genius, vs. the three headed monster of Lennon/McCartney/Harrison. And all of his attempts to follow the path that lead us down Sgt. Pepper road on a Magical Mystery Tour fell woefully short. Yes, he wrote some beautiful songs??????Caroline No??? and ???In My Room??? being as good as anything on Rubber Soul, but overall he was left in the dust which apparently just added to already existing mental shortcomings.

In my mind there are two kinds of Beach Boys fans. Those who like the mindless fun of their early hits which undeniably captures a place and time in our country???s history that was significant and exclusively American. And those who recognize Brian Wilson???s disturbed genius that post-hits showed glimpses of what could have been. I respect the appreciation of both but let???s keep the band in perspective as a pop band and little else.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I like, actually love the Beach Boys the same way I like/love CCR. They each represent a certain slice of American life and however they got there, wound up doing a good job portraying it. Hard for me to get all uber-critic when I view the Beach Boys, but at the same time it's not like I'm calling them anything more than what you are...a good pop band whose songs I grew up on. Whether Brian Wilson is a genius, I'll leave to the same people who would also consider whether Jon Fogerty is a genius. All I know is that when I go on a fishing trip, I get happy when either Good Vibrations or Fortunate Son comes on the radio. Keeping it simple is the way to go here IMO.

• I posted this on Waxidermy, but it's a better fit in this thread.

Not an OG mix like the title says, but somebody with access to the masters broke it down so you can really hear the different parts. Incredible:

• Excellent post Roc.

I always felt like I could hear the anchor of the group and thier image pulling Wilson down into crazy, there is some beautiful stuff, no f that, amazing stuff on the unfinished smile album bootlegs that have always been in circulation. I was not a fan of the redux. That said, thier output is towered by the beatles tenfold.

I wish I could go back in time and have the original smile album greenlighted

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I seriously prefer the Beach Boys to the Beatles, it was a four-headed monster though as Brian was filling the George Martin role as well.

I stated this in the Brits thread and got nothing but agreement so I suggest you stay out of my trench.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I was never a Beach Boys fan boy. But last year, I immersed my self in them to see what the fuss was all about.

I have to admit, Pet Sounds is a mind fuck. The production is innovative ( IT WAS DONE ON A 4 TRACK FOR CRISSAKES!), the arrangements are gorgeous, and the harmonies -- amazing. Sorry, but it deserves the hype... not only as a great recording but as a groundbreaking record.... the inevitable inspiration for SGT. Peppers.. which I would dub the GOAT.

This track gives me goose bumps.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Paul said:

If Todd Rundgren was dead he'd be spinning in his grave.

Utter garbage.

• RAJ said:
    I was never a Beach Boys fan boy. But last year, I immersed my self in them to see what the fuss was all about.

I have to admit, Pet Sounds is a mind fuck. The production is innovative ( IT WAS DONE ON A 4 TRACK FOR CRISSAKES!), the arrangements are gorgeous, and the harmonies -- amazing. Sorry, but it deserves the hype... not only as a great recording but as a groundbreaking record.... the inevitable inspiration for SGT. Peppers.. which I would dub the GOAT.

Krist. Based on the screen grab youtube used, I thought it was going to be a clip of them actually singing this and almost wet my pants.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Paul said:

If Todd Rundgren was dead he'd be spinning in his grave.

Utter garbage.

I got halfway through it. Sounds like Seals & Craps.

What I thought about both bands back in the 70s when they were beloved by 12 year old girls of all ages was, "They sure seem to spend a lot of time working on their beards."

• RAJ said:

Raj, have you ever heard the extended string and vocal harmony intro for Good Vibrations that was meant to transition out of Blue Hawaii on the smile bootlegs? I get chills ever time i hear that. And for the record i don't like good vibrations, but god damn that intro is facemelt.

• listen from 2:30

chills (at least for me)

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    It took me a loooooooong time to get past the "Cunningham-ness" of the Beach Boys. I was stuck with the impression of "Surfin' USA", not "Surf's Up" (shout out to B.Cause) which is radically different and on another level songwriting wise.

Pet Sounds/Smile era Beach Boys is in a lane all it's own and deserves the hype.

p.s. I hope I don't become as bitter as Pelvic Dust when I'm older.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i never delved into the Beach Boys catalogue, still on my list of things to do but i have to say that God Only Knows is as perfect piece of pop as any, it gives me chills each and every time i hear it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    day said:
    It took me a loooooooong time to get past the "Cunningham-ness" of the Beach Boys.

THIS.

Perfectly put Day, this is why i am yet to explore, but looks like illl have to soon.

• day said:

Pet Sounds/Smile era Beach Boys

I hear it in the Marcos Valle stuff of the early 70s.

• day said:
    It took me a loooooooong time to get past the "Cunningham-ness" of the Beach Boys.
    Pet Sounds/Smile era Beach Boys is in a lane all it's own and deserves the hype.

p.s. I hope I don't become as bitter as Pelvic Dust when I'm older.

This is where I stand.

Still can't get past the Cunningham-ness of the Beach Boys. Their earliest things like "Surfin USA" may as well be the Lettermen with Fender Jaguars. I do like some of their (for lack of a better word) "progressive" stuff, but I won't go past that.

Reportedly there were copies of The TAMI Show for years that had the Beach Boys' segment edited out. I don't think I would have missed them, even though that flick made even the acts I didn't like look good.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Eh, who cares about the history/back story/context--I just want to listen to Pet Sounds and zone out.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I ride for the early surfing/car records, also Pet Sounds. But they were one of my Mom's fave bands when I was growing up, unavoidable in-car singalongs related. I can see how some people might not rate them though. The sooner magazines like Mojo stop ramming the BB's & Beatles down their reader's throats & over-hyping their work, the better.

• There is a band here in Memphis that is very Beach Boys influenced called the Magic Kids and people are getting granite nipples over them...turns out they use auto tune on the records AND live...the cypher is now complete...computer assisted nostalgia

• Options
    day said:
    I hope I don't become as bitter as Pelvic Dust when I'm older.

I hope you get smarter, because if you think I'm bitter you don't know bitter from peanut brittle.

• leonleon 883 Posts

CO SIGN

• I like several eras of their music (the early pop stuff, the compulsively over-arranged studio lunacy of the mid-60s, the basket-case goofiness of 1977's Love You album), but for me their sweet spot is Wild Honey-- great songs arranged in relatively simple fashion and sung really well.

• I love the Beach Boys, for me a large part of it is definitely sentimental. "Barbara Ann" and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man" were literally the first records I remember listening to, my dad's old 45s on my grandma's giant un-grounded stereo. As I've grown up I've realized pretty much any of their early material that wasn't original was better in its original form. That said I still celebrate their entire catalog, and "Surf's Up" is one of the greatest songs ever written.

• Mongo_Slade said:
    I like several eras of their music (the early pop stuff, the compulsively over-arranged studio lunacy of the mid-60s, the basket-case goofiness of 1977's Love You album), but for me their sweet spot is Wild Honey-- great songs arranged in relatively simple fashion and sung really well.

Yes! After a period of obsession with Pet Sounds/Smile one really ought to dig into that mid-period:
    # Wild Honey (1967)
    # Friends (1968)
    # 20/20 (1969)
    # Sunflower (1970)
    # Surf's Up (1971)

Although I don't remember how necessary 20/20 is. It's been a while.
    Friends may be my favorite? :grin:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    --

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yes. It's really all about Smiley Smile through Surf's Up. I mean, come on, ALL the big 60's groups of that era started out with weak, derivative shit. I don't see how the Beach Boys are so much more guilty.

• NachoManCandySandwich said:
    Mongo_Slade said:
    I like several eras of their music (the early pop stuff, the compulsively over-arranged studio lunacy of the mid-60s, the basket-case goofiness of 1977's Love You album), but for me their sweet spot is Wild Honey-- great songs arranged in relatively simple fashion and sung really well.

Yes! After a period of obsession with Pet Sounds/Smile one really ought to dig into that mid-period:
    # Wild Honey (1967)
    # Friends (1968)
    # 20/20 (1969)
    # Sunflower (1970)
    # Surf's Up (1971)

Although I don't remember how necessary 20/20 is. It's been a while.
    Friends may be my favorite? :grin:

20/20 is great. i would DEFINITELY add Smiley Smile to that list, and maybe Pet Sounds, although it's easily my least favorite of the bunch. i don't really understand the hate on ANY of the albums on the list above.

i also think the Beach Boys are overrated.

• Options
    NachoManCandySandwich said:
    Mongo_Slade said:

# Wild Honey (1967)
    # Friends (1968)
    # 20/20 (1969)
    # Sunflower (1970)
    # Surf's Up (1971)

I would suggest adding the following to your list:

# Holland (1973)

• Pet Sounds > any Beatles album

• djwaxon said:
    Pet Sounds > any Beatles album

you sound like you hate rock music

• The_Hook_Up said:
    djwaxon said:
    Pet Sounds > any Beatles album

you sound like you hate rock music

haha not at all - i love the Beatles, i was a real stan as a teenager. But i don't think any of their albums start to finish are amazing, and I think Pet Sounds is far more consistent than any of them. i think Rubber Soul is the most consistent of their albums tbh.