Super common records you've never listened to

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
That Ginger Baker thread made me realize that I've never actually listened to a Deep Purple album. I mean, obviously I've heard the hits and all, but I've never actually heard one of their albums. Think I'm going to give Machine Head a go. What about y'all?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Beach Boys Pet Sounds
    OutKast Aquemeni

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Any Dylan LP, I can't get past the voice.
    Pet Sounds
    Born To Run
    Exile On Main Street

A lot of the classic rock canon, it turns out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    asstro said:
    Born To Run

I wish I could say the same. My fiance is a huge Dylan and Springsteen fan. I'm not really trying to hear that shit at home, but I keep my mouth shut about it, because if I mention either of them, it'll just make her want to put on one of their albums.

• any pink floyd album.

The entire Rap That I lIke thread

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    asstro said:
    Born To Run

I wish I could say the same. My fiance is a huge Dylan and Springsteen fan. I'm not really trying to hear that shit at home, but I keep my mouth shut about it, because if I mention either of them, it'll just make her want to put on one of their albums.

I feel your pain, I used to be the studio manager for a photographer who has done a couple of books on Springsteen and knows Dylan personally. I had to field calls and requests from their lunatic fans on the regular, it turned my dislike for their music into full blown irrational hatred. I doubt I'll ever feel differently about them. And that's without having heard most of the music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Couldn't pay me to listen to Elvis Costello.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Couldn't pay me to listen to Elvis

• DB_Cooper said:
    That Ginger Baker thread made me realize that I've never actually listened to a Deep Purple album. I mean, obviously I've heard the hits and all, but I've never actually heard one of their albums. Think I'm going to give Machine Head a go. What about y'all?

machine head and In Rock are pretty much essential as far as Deep Purple records go...Fireball, and who do we think we are are great as well. If you get interested in earlier psych 60s stuff from them, the s/t from 69 (the one with the Bosch painting on the cover) is one if the most underrated psych LPs IMO

• DB_Cooper said:

machine head and In Rock are pretty much essential as far as Deep Purple records go...Fireball, and who do we think we are are great as well. If you get interested in earlier psych 60s stuff from them, the s/t from 69 (the one with the Bosch painting on the cover) is one if the most underrated psych LPs IMO

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Fireball is a classic

BRAEKS too

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I like Stormbringer, too. This is Ritchie Blackmore's last album because he was not happy with the new "funkier" direction.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Any Dillan, Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Kiss, Phil Collins, oh the list goes on and on. Sorry for all the toe steppin. If you ever read about me liking any of these on this board, like ever, please BAN me.

I've never actually sat down and listened to an Ohio Players record.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Sir, get thyself to a copy of Pain immediately.

batmon said:
    OutKast Aquemeni
    Cmon son!

Springsteen
    Jackson Browne
    Metallica
    Jim Croce

The_Non said:
    Springsteen
    Jackson Browne
    Metallica
    Jim Croce

No arguments there except for Master of Puppets is a classique.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:

LMFAO!! Ditto

RAJ said:

D.E.L.E.T.E.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Breez said:
    batmon said:

LMFAO!! Ditto

That one and all this one, minus Joni but plus The Beatles.

Please, they are just four scousers.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Michael Jackson - no Thriller or Bad but I do have OTW
    Dylan - none
    Rolling Stones - not one, and will avoid the singles wherever possible

• i've heard something about that herbie hancock guy ??? and saunders monch? i think it's on a spiritual hiphop tip

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    skel said:
    Michael Jackson - no Thriller or Bad but I do have OTW
    Dylan - none
    Rolling Stones - not one, and will avoid the singles wherever possible

OTW >> Thriller

• Listened to Soft Machine t

• oday and was stunned. But since I spend sooo much money on soul/jazz/funk/reggae/hip hop, I try to block my feelings for psych, classical & world or else I'll be broke within no time since I'm ?? vinyl addict with no downloads ever & a minimum of space...

• your boy zimms, droppin' life jems.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Besides Purple Rain, I've never listened to any Prince album, end to end. Shit load of singles though.

• The Baja Marimba Band. Barbara Streisand (sp?) West Side Story. Various Christmas Albums. Ronco records.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    shawnald_reagan said:
    The Baja Marimba Band. Barbara Streisand (sp?) West Side Story. Various Christmas Albums. Ronco records.

You're not missing very much. Trust me.