Will records become worthless

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Will the technology just become obsolete one day, and the music too easily accessible elsewhere? It's not like collecting baseball cards or comic books, because it relies on a speciffic technology to reproduce it. Are we all doomed?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If it all "goes to hell," I think it'd be easier to re-create a needle and amplifying device over a laser eye or turning knobs for tapes. So that's good at least.

• The_Non said:
    If it all "goes to hell," I think it'd be easier to re-create a needle and amplifying device over a laser eye or turning knobs for tapes. So that's good at least.

In the thunderdome people will need brazilian raers. right?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The_Non said:

Well, at least Brazilian, Portuguese, and Angolan thunderdomers.

• Options
    People collect coins they can't spend and stamps that can't be used for postage and cars that can't be driven. Lots of people now collect sealed records they have no intention of ever playing.

I don't think utility is determinative.

• Yeah, they will go the way of the pog.

Actually, they may be the only media that survives the technology crash (if there ever is one). Records and wind up chimes.

all you need is a needle and a coconut to get the music kickin'.

• With stamps and coins you basically enjoy all their esthetic value by looking at them and holding them, etc. With a record you need to play it in order to completely enjoy it. But I do agree with you in respect to the collectible aspect of something purely for the purpose of having it. Possessing it. In that respect it doesn't matter that the coin cant be spent and the stamp never mailed.

• Options
    sabadabada said:
    With stamps and coins you basically enjoy all their esthetic value by looking at them and holding them, etc. With a record you need to play it in order to completely enjoy it. But I do agree with you in respect to the collectible aspect of something purely for the purpose of having it. Possessing it. In that respect it doesn't matter that the coin cant be spent and the stamp never mailed.

Another example would be all the people who collect comics encased in hard plastic. Those can't be completely enjoyed except at the risk of lessening their value, but they're still partially enjoyable due to the covers. Enjoyment isn't determinative, either.

If I couldn't play my records anymore I'd get rid of them quickly. (I don't have any sealed records, either.) Maybe I'm not a pure collector, though.

• No way, there will always be people who are into this stuff. I have old cars, too. They get harder to find ( like original sealed albums), they may be eclipsed by modern auto technology (like records), and the general public may lose interest (like vinyl), There will always be collectors (diggers) who will stash and trade original parts (like 1st pressings) or remanufacture parts (represses) if they just have to have something. get it? The people who are into this shit will always be into it, regardless of value, BUT that interest of other enthusiasts will keep shit valuable. does that make sense

• no, they will become worthless!

best all just give up now and send them to me ;)

• tokyobeats said:
    no, they will become worthless!

best all just give up now and send them to me ;)

Just leave all worthless records in the snow plaese

• ChristianJS said:
    N does that make sense

(sure)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wait. Records have value?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Saba: listen to this. Seems right up the alley of what you're talking about:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/02/02/133188723/tools-never-die-waddaya-mean-never

• Records will never be worthless... they burn really well .

• If you are a buddhist, they have never had any value in the first place.

• If you are a [del]buddhist[/del] cubist, they have never had any value in the first place.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The_Non said:

The Thuderdome ppl will at least be able to keep spinning vinyl.... They'll even have post apocolyptic DJs....

• In a post apocalyptic world records will become the currency. As even without power records will be played by very simple means.

Also vegans will be farmed free range style and hunted as a food source as they have toxin free meat and are passive and easy to catch.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Records may have all warped due to global warming before the apocalype arrives

They should stick 'em all in the Nordic Gene Bank

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Every genre of collectibles has it???s ???heyday??? at which time the widest variety of items sell for top dollar.

After that heyday passes the casual and ???flavor of the month??? collector tends to get out which then makes the common and semi-rare items they were buying virtually worthless.

What remains is the serious collector who already has the common/semi-rare stuff so then the mega-raers go up and maintain a good investment value.

The neat thing about collecting records is that there are many subsets of different musical genres which all hit their heyday at different times allowing the hobby to stay relevant longer than those one-dimensional collectibles like Pogs, Beanie Babies or even Baseball Cards.

Musical genres like vintage C&W and 50???s R&B and R&R are long past their heyday and as a result you can???t give away a Chuck Berry or Carter Family LP that would have easily brought $50.00 20 years ago. There are still a small group of hold-outs still looking for the holy grails like Johnny Burnette & The R&R Trio or Dale Hawkins LP???s, but 90% of those two specific genres are dead.

In my opinion most musical genres that appear on vinyl have already hit their peak and we are on the downside of them maintaining a big collector base.

Will someone trade me 3 Pogs and a Beanie Baby for a red vinyl copy of Nazz on SRC??

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    When my technology failed--hard drive burnt out--I lost a lot of music I had collected in electronic form since my teens that I had failed to back up. All I had left were a bunch of dusty records and a couple of Fisher Price units. Although the technology may be obsolete in relative terms, it's nice to be able to touch the vinyl and know that something as unpredictable as a Dell can't readily destroy it.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Every genre of collectibles has it???s ???heyday??? at which time the widest variety of items sell for top dollar.

After that heyday passes the casual and ???flavor of the month??? collector tends to get out which then makes the common and semi-rare items they were buying virtually worthless.

What remains is the serious collector who already has the common/semi-rare stuff so then the mega-raers go up and maintain a good investment value.

The neat thing about collecting records is that there are many subsets of different musical genres which all hit their heyday at different times allowing the hobby to stay relevant longer than those one-dimensional collectibles like Pogs, Beanie Babies or even Baseball Cards.

In my opinion most musical genres that appear on vinyl have already hit their peak and we are on the downside of them maintaining a big collector base.

Will someone trade me 3 Pogs and a Beanie Baby for a red vinyl copy of Nazz on SRC??

I know it's discussed in other threads, but what about Hip Hop (70-80-90-00) on vinyl? Now mostly left alone as has-been music (if you don't know check eBay), my guess is that if you wait one or two generations, Golden Age hip hop will be retro cool and prices will rise again for a heyday moment. Kids will track down the legends, see who's still alive and has stock in the basement etc. just as we do now with funk n soul artists.Hold on to those Gangstarr raers! You know my steez.

Anyway this is the reason i hold on to my 5 crates full of Nice n Smooth ;-)