Did we have a James Blake thread yet ?

kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone feeling this guys album ?
Im blown away. Took me a couple of listens but this hasn't left my stereo for the last few days.
UK strutters hows the reaction over there ?

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    a good homie of mine has been on this james blake kick, really talking it up, saying it's some stuff i'd enjoy. that says a lot considering he thinks i hate pretty much everything. i gave it a try and could only get through the first couple of tracks from his album.
    what's the appeal?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I ride, I wouldn't say that I'm at a hero worship level yet but definitely doing some interesting things with his last couple of EPs.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    album is great. dude got talent

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    jimey said:
    album is great. dude got talent

So has the album leaked already then? I did not know this.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Been a big fan for a while.

From the single leaks and live shows, hearing the Feist cover and the Bon Iver inspired Lindesfarne, I wasn't sure about his full length Lp tbh - thought it might be a little too much 'dinner party music' at times. I think once I got over the fact that it's not a Lp of CMKY or 'Air and Lack Thereof' tracks, I could enjoy it more.
    An early favourite is 'To Care (like you)' that has a bit of a Ramadanman drum part. But I don't know if l'll be playing any of it as often as I did CMKY.

Decent audio of his recent live show - http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2010/12/25/mp3-james-blake-live-at-maida-vale/

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    He's been getting a lot of love in the UK, getting airplay on mainstream radio and everything.

He also got promoted by the BBC as one to watch for 2011. http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/soundof/2011/artists/jamesblake/?userid=9474553 Along with Jamie Woon who some on the Strut may also dig. Not sure what you'll make of Jessie J tho.

^link has videos of him playing live (same set as the audio posted above) if you able to watch BBC stuff.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Much is made of the R&B element in Blake???s work but rather than an on-trend reverence for the genre, you guessed it, he sees it another way. ???People like Aaliyah I wasn???t ever sure if I actually liked them. To me they are better as producer tools because they are very malleable vocal-wise. When [those songs] came out I thought a lot of it was forgettable"

GTFO

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Much is made of the R&B element in Blake???s work but rather than an on-trend reverence for the genre, you guessed it, he sees it another way. ???People like Aaliyah I wasn???t ever sure if I actually liked them. To me they are better as producer tools because they are very malleable vocal-wise. When [those songs] came out I thought a lot of it was forgettable"

GTFO
    Dude is only 21. But he's definitely got a bit of that just-out-of-education-think-you-know-but-you-don't swagger about him. But the Aaliyah comment should probably taken in the context of someone who spends too many hours in the studio, so he filters everything through the producer mind set.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    His Harmonimix remixes.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wack

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wack
    Y.A.W.N.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    great sound but one trick pony

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Matthew Herbert

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

GTFO

Epic fail.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:
    Matthew Herbert

What is wrong with Matthew Herbert?!

Anyways, I am kinda feeling his work. Some of it doesn't really build for me, but I know how some people like that. I feel like he is the male equivalent of Imogen Heap. He does have a good voice--no denying that.