Is Sean Paul white?

2»

Comments

• man theres a funny story about one time snow performed here in houston ages ago at the main u of h campus that i can't recall. i seem to remember bottles flying thru the air in his general direction though.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    did his recordings for junior reid get any heat ?
    what about domonik (fava boy george)?

No i dont think so,Junior Reid Label/studio was and is kinda stagnant not much heat to be gotten there.Domonick was downhere to,he ran in the "dancehall circuit"
    but i dont think anyone cared for him too much other than for the ONE hit "who seh dominick favour boy george",his whole "DJing style" played out.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Does he even live in Jamaica? I heard he was british but from Jamaican/English/Chinese descent.

I'm pretty sure he's Jamaica-born but, as far as his ancestral mix goes, I always thought there was some Goa Portuguese/Indian in there as well. Someone said something in another post about white guys putting on patois. At a previous job of mine, I once had to do a presentation on sample clearance for four cats from the Jamaican equivalent of ASCAP. One of the guys was white, and his accent was pure yard. It threw me for a second or two when he first asked me a question. My girlfriend's half-Jamaican/half-Grenadan, and she was like, "Oh yeah, white people in Jamaica talk like that as well, y'know..."

• Snow's "Dancing Alone" over that Massive B re-lick of Tempo was

Always gets a good reaction.

man theres a funny story about one time snow performed here in houston ages ago at the main u of h campus that i can't recall. i seem to remember bottles flying thru the air in his general direction though.

R*ss why did you instigate that???

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Part of his outernational success comes from the conscious effort he makes to tone down his patois, especially in the hooks, so that foreigners can understand and sing along.

interesting. is his patois really that strong to begin with? is this a guy that has consciously ratcheted up his patois to seem more street and is now toning it down in order to gain more US appeal? i'm assuming here that there is a patois-strength-socio-economic-status connection which there may not be. never been to JA. school a brother.

have you not heard his album First Stage? the skits on there show you how strong his accent is. That continues to be one of my favorite dancehall albums ever as well

• R*ss why did you instigate that???

Who you callin' RASS?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    did his recordings for junior reid get any heat ?
    what about domonik (fava boy george)?

No i dont think so,Junior Reid Label/studio was and is kinda stagnant not much heat to be gotten there.Domonick was downhere to,he ran in the "dancehall circuit"

but i dont think anyone cared for him too much other than for the ONE hit "who seh dominick favour boy george",his whole "DJing style" played out.

I remember that Domonick cat. I think he went under the name Goldtop when he first came out. The last thing I heard him on was on the Underdog remix of "Theme" by Sabres Of Paradise, which came out around ten years back. It's pretty good - starts off with a cheesy house-style groove for a few bars, then some gunshots and Domonick yelling, "We nuh like dat music!", then he goes off over this early Kenny Dope/Frankie Cutlass-style beat.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Part of his outernational success comes from the conscious effort he makes to tone down his patois, especially in the hooks, so that foreigners can understand and sing along.

interesting. is his patois really that strong to begin with? is this a guy that has consciously ratcheted up his patois to seem more street and is now toning it down in order to gain more US appeal? i'm assuming here that there is a patois-strength-socio-economic-status connection which there may not be. never been to JA. school a brother.

have you not heard his album First Stage? the skits on there show you how strong his accent is. That continues to be one of my favorite dancehall albums ever as well

of course i've heard it. i have all his albums. but my question was whether he talks like that for real or just on record. and yes i understand that white people talk patois in JA as well, but there are gradations of patois thickness that I assume correspond to different neighborhoods and socio-economic backgrounds. as an american though i can't really distinguish so I was just wondering.

One of the guys was white, and his accent was pure yard. It threw me for a second or two when he first asked me a question. My girlfriend's half-Jamaican/half-Grenadan, and she was like, "Oh yeah, white people in Jamaica talk like that as well, y'know..."

Jamaican's speaking Jamaican what a concept.The racial makeup of the people down here encompasses all the races,dont let the Jamaica Tourist Board advertisements fool you.

R*ss why did you instigate that???

Who you callin' RASS?

of course i've heard it. i have all his albums. but my question was whether he talks like that for real or just on record.

That's exactly how he speaks amongst his peers i'm sure when he talks to his mother like that she tells him to "speak properly"
    Picture this, being in the western side of the island in a district known as German Town"(Not sure if this is the actual name of place) in the parish of St Elizabeth and you encounter as "Blond haired Blue eyed" individual that speaks such a "deep patois" that it's even less indistinguishable to your "Jamaican guide" from Negril thats supposed to be translating for you .What i'm speaking about is real.

yes i understand that white people talk patois in JA as well, but there are gradations of patois thickness that I assume correspond to different neighborhoods and socio-economic backgrounds

You are right about that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    And I know race relations in Jamaica are real complicated.

What have you heard about "race relations" in Jamaica?.

In Jamaica he's judged to have "High Colour"(a light skinned complexion) and "Pretty Hair"(straight hair).He would probably be addressed to "in the streets" as a "Red Yout/yute" (the next step above BROWN)but since he's well known they'll just bawl out "SHAAAWN PAAAWWL!!!!" instead.
    I know it works in reverse in the US,with the latin person being called "Brown" and the native american being referred to as "redskin".
    I've heard that if youre even 1% of anything else you aren't white.so i wouldn't say he was.

we use red. redbone. high yellow.

in america today, you can be whatever you want. no place like it.

of course i've heard it. i have all his albums. but my question was whether he talks like that for real or just on record. and yes i understand that white people talk patois in JA as well, but there are gradations of patois thickness that I assume correspond to different neighborhoods and socio-economic backgrounds. as an american though i can't really distinguish so I was just wondering.

anna = rootlesscosmo?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    [

anna = rootlesscosmo? /

Rootlesscosmo is Anna's brother.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    oh shit

[

anna = rootlesscosmo? /

Rootlesscosmo is Anna's brother.

oh riiiiight...I forgot it's customary for white guys to open like this.

"First off, no disrespect. Some of my best friends are white."

that threw me off

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

haha, B*n's probably posting from the computer at our parents house and he's logged in as ME. Step off, fool! Don't make me disrespecfellate on you!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    my boy Bambino is definitely black and he looks real similar.

HA ! "whats that you say about the west coast..........Another Level"

how the HELL did you know that??? hahaha

Dude is my boy Z's cousin and when he introduced me I had no idea, when dude told me about that shit I was trippin. I played the FUCK out of that record back in the day.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Sean Paul is Jewish Portuguese, Black and Chinese.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

black/white is just an imaginary concept. Like your man above... I mean, he's probably close to 50/50 actually.

black/white is just an imaginary concept. Like your man above... I mean, he's probably close to 50/50 actually.

whole family is light skinndeded. They're creole.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

how the HELL did you know that??? hahaha

Dude is my boy Z's cousin and when he introduced me I had no idea, when dude told me about that shit I was trippin. I played the FUCK out of that record back in the day.

You dropped...oh nevermind.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    whole family is light skinndeded. They're creole.

That's my point though. Roll it back and little and they probably have a large white lineage. Nobody native to Africa is "light skinndeded".