Let's talk re-edit!

Comments

• Here's one I did. A simple cut and paste edit of Jump To It, that extended the break and removed the phone calls during the song.
    Jump To It (Case Bloom.snip.snip.Edit) by CaseBloom

• meistromoco said:
    Whiskey Barons are in constant rotation. Also really dig Dimitri From Paris edits.

Buari - Iro Le Pa
    Iro Le Pa (Meistro's Zoo Road edit) by Meistro

I end up dropping this alot. Works well w/ multiple crowds

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    neil_something said:
    as much as i love the black cock edits, weren't a fair few of them remakes of ron hardy and other chicago/house edits that never got put out back in the day...?

I suppose No Way Back was, but then it's not exactly the same as the one I've heard that professes to be the Hardy original, nor is it the same as those "tribute" edits that were in circulation for a while a few years ago. IIRC, Harvey alludes to this in that RBMA interview, when he mentions how the idea for the Black Cock releases came about through him and Gerry Rooney wanting their own versions of some of those edits to play out. Oddly enough, one of Theo Parrish's Ugly Edit 12"s does pretty much the exact same thing with one track (Made In USA?) that Harvey did on the second Black Cock EP.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    thanks for the love.
    gonna check the rhyze edit now...such a great track and cheap !

Kon, thanks for checking the Rhyze edit. Was it doing any good in enhancing the tunes potential? I'm really interested in some expertise to know if I'm going in the right direction for future edits. (BTW, I'm infatuated with your Santana Edit. Really need it. Was it ever released?)

Thanks to all for sharing their re-edit-work. Incredible that all this great stuff is there to pick up for free. The desire to use a digital DJing tool is growing slowly.

Here's a mix I already shared on here for christmas that consists mainly of edits I made especially for the mix. First two (Runaway Love & What Cha Gonna Do With My Loving) have been exempted from hooks which may be a pain for modern soul lovers but I'm liking the tracks much more without them. Third track "Stars In Your Eyes" is such a perfect mellow house beat that it could loop on forever.

High Steppin' by Skoluda

There are some very nice edits released on Hamburgs "Selfmade Milionaire".

Ali Shuffle

• not feeling that ali shuffle edit, but i played this one a fair bit when it came out...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Here's one of mine, an edit of Tavares - It Only Takes a Minute. I've got some others on my soundcloud too.

It Only Takes A Minute (Deep Sang's 7 Minute Edit) by Deep Sang

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've really enjoyed this thread, especially the debates around the purpose and aesthetics of edits.

I do very primitive edits, usually for DJing purposes (and even then, it's really basic stuff, such as creating longer intros and other predictable touch-ups) or, if it's tunes for the site, cutting out shit I don't like (I have a guitar solo-free version of Ray Barretto's "Pastime Paradise" that works remarkably well despite it being a simple cut), or, going the other way, creating unity mixes between two-sides of a single.

My personal favorite is a simple unity edit for Skye's "Ain't No Need" though I think the song could use a better, DJ-friendly edit that allows you to go straight into the main groove.

Ain't No Need (Unity Mix) by soulsides

• DocMcCoy said:
    neil_something said:
    as much as i love the black cock edits, weren't a fair few of them remakes of ron hardy and other chicago/house edits that never got put out back in the day...?

I suppose No Way Back was, but then it's not exactly the same as the one I've heard that professes to be the Hardy original, nor is it the same as those "tribute" edits that were in circulation for a while a few years ago. IIRC, Harvey alludes to this in that RBMA interview, when he mentions how the idea for the Black Cock releases came about through him and Gerry Rooney wanting their own versions of some of those edits to play out. Oddly enough, one of Theo Parrish's Ugly Edit 12"s does pretty much the exact same thing with one track (Made In USA?) that Harvey did on the second Black Cock EP.

theres a theo edit of No Way Back as well i think?

the main thing thats cool about the black cock ones is they were all done on reel to reel, if you've ever tried mixing them they don't loop perfectly at all.. some abletony edits nowadays with the tempo markers in can feel a bit too tied to the grid.

i didn't buy many of the black cock ones (including the Silver Apples edit) and then ended up kicking myself when i heard them out.

big shout to pilooski in this thread as well.. love his edits

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I enjoy editing/remixing tracks with a friend as another way of still having involment in the scene (I don't play out as much these days as I used to, family and getting old....LOL!), and of finding ways to re-arrange favourate tracks from the past, to freshen them up to our ears.

Link to our soundcloud page:

http://soundcloud.com/good-vibes

• Just a heads up the Black Cock edits getting mentioned in this thread are in the Juno sale at the moment for ??1.40 each.

• bboyparkz said:
    Just a heads up the Black Cock edits getting mentioned in this thread are in the Juno sale at the moment for ??1.40 each.

wow, thanks parkz i've just ordered the whole lot. the original presses go for money these days (those are the represses)..

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=black+cock

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Kon's a purist when it comes to labeling something an edit, but I don't think the line is that clear. For example, the Tavares edit I posted is a straight edit with a little 808 added to the kick throughout. I'd feel like a total poseur if I tried to call that a remix. If you substantially change the vibe of a track with added elements then to me that's a remix, but if it's something really subtle just to beef it up for the club then I don't have a problem calling that an edit. I guess it gets down to splitting hairs at a certain point though.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Nice thread.

I've sort of been taking a break from DJ:ing the last year or so, only playing occasionally. This is one of the things I'd like to get into more, doing more edits, and making more music of my own of course.

I've only done a couple of really simple edits - just one audio file, editing out parts and extending others. Here's one I did of Hydraulic Pump by P-Funk - the OG track just gets a little to wild for my taste, and that intro guitar had to go.

http://www.mediafire.com/?57nps89h9glt4mp

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i do some edits here and there, mostly for myself and the homies, but i've been wanting to press up some on 45 so that is plans for this year. for the heads comin out to miami for wmc, ill have copies of the first release.

im not necessarily a purist when it comes to edits, but i really only try and use the original stuff on the record. i may record some extra hand claps or play a live kick on top though. thats about the extent of things i add. no 808s or drum machines, etc. i will EQ to give it some more thump.
    tryin to keep it on some disco shit, not tryin to make a house remix.

u tern and kon are/been on that other shit and doing it so so right. big fan of what they been doin.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    also really likin those rhyze and orchestre poly rhythmo edits yall posted up. hot shit

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Yes. That dude Shoes, too...I like his style.

• Deep_Sang said:
    Kon's a purist when it comes to labeling something an edit, but I don't think the line is that clear. For example, the Tavares edit I posted is a straight edit with a little 808 added to the kick throughout. I'd feel like a total poseur if I tried to call that a remix. If you substantially change the vibe of a track with added elements then to me that's a remix, but if it's something really subtle just to beef it up for the club then I don't have a problem calling that an edit. I guess it gets down to splitting hairs at a certain point though.

i guess i am a purist on many levels
    but i agree with you, adding an 808 doesnt make it a remix to me...

more so adding a full drum track, sampling sections and such.. it to me becomes either a remix, or a new jam.
    im just defining this based on real remixes of the past and of course house and hip hop....
    ive said this before....
    we/ people dont call dj sneak or armand van helden, todd terry, maw, etc etc.. records where they sample/loop up a 2/4 bar sections...filters and drop a drum track over it...edits. they are referred to as straight up jams.
    by todays standards and this blurred definition, the bucketheads "bomb" would be a great example. thats not an edit..sorry.

this term is thrown around constantly with other current tracks using the same techniques.
    trusme being a currant example.
    for hip hop, it would be anything under the umbrella of a sample with a drum track. this definition is just wrong, and would reclassify everything that has already exists.
    i think its important to define whats what.

• mannybolone said:
    I've really enjoyed this thread, especially the debates around the purpose and aesthetics of edits.

I do very primitive edits, usually for DJing purposes (and even then, it's really basic stuff, such as creating longer intros and other predictable touch-ups) or, if it's tunes for the site, cutting out shit I don't like (I have a guitar solo-free version of Ray Barretto's "Pastime Paradise" that works remarkably well despite it being a simple cut), or, going the other way, creating unity mixes between two-sides of a single.

My personal favorite is a simple unity edit for Skye's "Ain't No Need" though I think the song could use a better, DJ-friendly edit that allows you to go straight into the main groove.

Ain't No Need (Unity Mix) by soulsides

try the 12" of aint no need, complete different mix... doing pretty much what you ask of it.

thats a record id kill to get the session for. already a perfect song, id love to stip that down and stretch out some sections.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

both you dudes allow me to play KFrimpong' Kwaku 3 times in a different set

• sang.... great edit of tavares, always felt like its 2 jams in one...the hook being a bit more happy and upbeat... then the groove you start with from their break is so tough ... always thought if teddy covered this jam itd be a winner as well.
    tavares are from cape cod ma, with such a philly sound. under rated group right there.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    pcmr said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

both you dudes allow me to play KFrimpong' Kwaku 3 times in a different set

:beerbang:

It makes me happy to hear that my stuff gets playage. Did Shoes do a Frimpong edit? I need to hear that!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yep its kyen kyen (shoes edit)

• Greg Wilson is the man by all means...a pioneer, i was shocked when i saw him using that beat match computer program to dj live.
    Greg you dont need that.

Also, John Morales has got some amazing remixes... 4 different takes of teddy's the more i get... some 14 mins long.
    New stuff on the way from him, multi track remixes of candi staton.
    Realizing how many records hes had a hand in... never got credited. he did the entire logg lp, as well as all the inner life stuff.
    Considering what hes done, hes extremely humble and down to earth... just a regular new yorker.
    Also, Larry didnt actually do instant funks got my mind made up... although hes credited.
    I wish a documentary would be made about Tom, John, Bob Blank, FK, Shep, P&P and this movement that has really allowed for what so many of us are doing. 40 years later... heavy duty shit.

3 friends, legends.... shooting the shit.... the history right here.

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Also, John Morales has got some amazing remixes...

yes!

not wanting to derail the thread, but this is one of my personal favourites of his...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Has anyone done an edit to Rhythm Heritage "Sky's The Limit"? Such a nice groove buts get campy in sections, am I getting into remixing by messing with that though?

major props to you on here to who do some amazing edits.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    Greg Wilson is the man by all means...a pioneer, i was shocked when i saw him using that beat match computer program to dj live.
    Greg you dont need that.

Indeed, he doesn't.

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:

I wish a documentary would be made about Tom, John, Bob Blank, FK, Shep, P&P and this movement that has really allowed for what so many of us are doing. 40 years later... heavy duty shit.

realtalk! that would be amazing. it needs to happen soon before any more of these guys depart the earth.

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    by todays standards and this blurred definition, the bucketheads "bomb" would be a great example. thats not an edit..sorry.

and thats true as well, chicago - street player (kenny dope edit) doesn't feel right for that.