Is Sean Paul white?

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
First off, no disrespect. Some of my best friends are white.And I know race relations in Jamaica are real complicated.And I know that "race" is considered by many to just be a social construct anyway.But it seems like this cat has largely dodged the whole "white" label despite that he's...white?Maybe in Jamaica he gets clowned (for being white or for producing the most "slackness" dancehall music currently out there), I dunno. But here in the US, at least to my knowledge, he hasn't had to deal with the whole white stigma/commentary that people like Eminem are subject to.Anyone have any insights as to this guy's status in JA?

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    First off, no disrespect. Some of my best friends are white.

And I know race relations in Jamaica are real complicated.

And I know that "race" is considered by many to just be a social construct anyway.

But it seems like this cat has largely dodged the whole "white" label despite that he's...white?

Maybe in Jamaica he gets clowned (for being white or for producing the most "slackness" dancehall music currently out there), I dunno. But here in the US, at least to my knowledge, he hasn't had to deal with the whole white stigma/commentary that people like Eminem are subject to.

Anyone have any insights as to this guy's status in JA?

He's not white, but he definitely comes from more privileged circumstances than most major Jamaican artists.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

And I know that "race" is considered by many to just be a social construct anyway.

SUPERDUPS!!!!!!!!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yeah I was gonna say, I didn't think he was white.

my boy Bambino is definitely black and he looks real similar.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i thought some of his clothes looked dumb.

• Options
    or for producing the most "slackness" dancehall music currently out there

??????. I highly doubt that is true.

, K.

• White, Chinese, Black, and Portuguese (I think). Magnetic should weigh in here since he knows the Dutty Man.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    or for producing the most "slackness" dancehall music currently out there

??????. I highly doubt that is true

, K.

yeah that's why I'm asking. not sure how this guy is received in JA. but his subject matter is pretty vacuous and I know some of the more "conscious" dancehall artists hate on these types of DJs...

• there's a world of difference between slack and vacuous though

• (also: plaese to add "dancehall ross" icon to posting options)

there's a world of difference between slack and vacuous though

his music seems to be both. no sure though. school me.

• Maybe in Jamaica he gets clowned (for being white or for producing the most "slackness" dancehall music currently out there), I dunno.

He's not even in the top 25 of JA artists when it comes to slackness. He doesn't make gun tunes and never makes chi-chi man tunes from what I've heard, and songs about gettin' weeded aren't considered slack.

Part of his outernational success comes from the conscious effort he makes to tone down his patois, especially in the hooks, so that foreigners can understand and sing along.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

What have you heard about "race relations" in Jamaica?.

In Jamaica he's judged to have "High Colour"(a light skinned complexion) and "Pretty Hair"(straight hair).He would probably be addressed to "in the streets" as a "Red Yout/yute" (the next step above BROWN)but since he's well known they'll just bawl out "SHAAAWN PAAAWWL!!!!" instead.

I know it works in reverse in the US,with the latin person being called "Brown" and the native american being referred to as "redskin".

I've heard that if youre even 1% of anything else you aren't white.so i wouldn't say he was.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

"Red Yout/yute"

OHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

"Red Yout/yute"

OHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

• there's a world of difference between slack and vacuous though

How is his music any more vacuous than Vybz Kartel's, who is the MOST popular dancehall artist of the past 3 years? How many times can you say "Up to di time" or "timeless" in a song? Many, apparently.

And Sean's got a conscious new song called "Never Gonna Be The Same" over a rootsy new riddim (Seasons, the Don Corleone followup to the massive Drop Leaf riddim) that's gonna be HUGE. It's his ode to his fallen homie Daddigon, founder of the Dutty Cup crew, who was killed in February. Check out a snippet here (in Real Audio) or here (at the top of the mix).

Part of his outernational success comes from the conscious effort he makes to tone down his patois, especially in the hooks, so that foreigners can understand and sing along.

interesting. is his patois really that strong to begin with? is this a guy that has consciously ratcheted up his patois to seem more street and is now toning it down in order to gain more US appeal? i'm assuming here that there is a patois-strength-socio-economic-status connection which there may not be. never been to JA. school a brother.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Does he even live in Jamaica? I heard he was british but from Jamaican/English/Chinese descent.

there's a world of difference between slack and vacuous though

How is his music any more vacuous than Vybz Kartel's, who is the MOST popular dancehall artist of the past 3 years?

just as vacuous as Vybz Kartel to me. i'm not saying vacuous content = not popular. quite the opposite (just like here in the US). but I'm saying that he may be a chart-topper but lack the respect of the more conscious DJs. that's what I was trying to figure out.

• WHO CARES! DUDE HAS BEEN PAYING DUES FOR 10+ YEARS. peace, stein. . .

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Does he even live in Jamaica? I heard he was british but from Jamaican/English/Chinese descent.

I don't know where he resides now that he's a big international star, but you definitely heard wrong.

• it is also a FACT that ub40 are well respected in jamaica. peace, stein. .

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. What I heard never made much sense to me, it made it sound like he was just some English dude putting on a patois & jumping on a stylistic bandwagon.

• i cant hate on the dude, but i dont care for his music really.

is his patois really that strong to begin with?
    Yes it is and the same applies for every Jamaican for that matter,We string words together in such a manner that it seems there's no pause between them eg."AH WEH YU JUS SEH" we soon tire of being asked "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY" that we slow it down just for you all ,since you'll end up saying this every other sentence we utter.

• there is always room for 1 big dancehall artist in the u.s. at a time. sean paul is that DUDE of the moment and good for him. peace, stein. . .

WHO CARES! DUDE HAS BEEN PAYING DUES FOR 10+ YEARS. peace, stein. . .

Here's a little known fact, Snow was living in Jamaica after he dropped his first album,trying to assimilate into dancehall scene downhere.He did some stuff with Dave Kelly and he also recorded a lot of "Dubs" for the soundsystems here.

I know many of you may get this impression that he wasn't respected in Jamaica but that's where you are wrong.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

Here's a little known fact, Snow was living in Jamaica after he dropped to first album,trying to assimilate into dancehall scene downhere.He did some stuff with Dave Kelly and he also recorded a lot of "Dubs" for the soundsystems here.
    I know many of you may get this impression that he wasn't respected in Jamaica but that's where you are wrong.

did his recordings for junior reid get any heat ?
    what about domonik (fava boy george)?